Dog Vests

Spaniel

Hi

Didnt know to put this in the dog section or the shooting section, so here goes..

I had the springer out with me on the foreshore last night, and she was fine but as the temp started to drop she was shaking a little, (could of been the cold or just eagerness to get up and hunt after laying down for so long :yes: )

Anyway I thought it maybe a good thing if i purchased one of those neoprene dog vests for her before the weather really gets cold, plus it may help reduce the glare i get from her lovely white coat :lol:

Anyone purchased one of these for their dog, plus what seems to be better the zipped ones or the velcro ones

Thanks for any tips in advance

Cheers

Ian

post-2492-1283699139.jpg Hello Ian,

I bought one off these for my dog it is in wetland camo, neoprene 3 mm

thick and it has both zip and velcro, really easy to put on dog ( once they

get used to it ) it is made by a company called dokken and i got mine

from a company called Gundog Gear in the uk, if i can remember right

it cost me £19.99 plus postage. Have a look on there website, i have

all sorts of training gear from them and found them to be really good.

Hope this will help you.

Regards

maltese falcon.

Cheers MF, I did take a look on Pauls web site but noticed they said out of stock.

Been looking at Tidepools ones and although a bit more expensive they come with chest protector plus they have some added bouyancy to assist the dog in the water...think theres are 5mm Neoprene.

Cheers

Dave you do not work dogs in cold wet conditions do you? I have been using all sorts of vests on my dogs for years. Everything from the neopreen keep warm to the Kevlar keep big male boar out type.....................gimmik, my ***!

Well said mate. This is no money making gimmick, it helps keep our WORKING companions warm, how is that a gimmick. :D

Regards

maltese falcon.

Hi

Anyone purchased one of these for their dog, plus what seems to be better the zipped ones or the velcro ones

Thanks for any tips in advance

Cheers

Ian

Ian, I just got one for the little sprout for when/if it gets real cold................just dug through the cupboard where I thought the receipt was and all i've managed to do is make a mess! will have another look and let you know tomorrow. For what it's worth my GSP can just about tolerate the cold (when she's still) with her coat on, if I can put up with her chattering teeth in my ear'ole that is. The Springer will have hers on once the water temp drops, I noticed her shivering a little on her first night out on that creek after she'd retrieved a bird and was covered in wet mud but she's not got a thick coat as yet. Both mine are the neoprene type with full back zip and velcro flap fastening....very tough and should last a while.

I've got one the same as Maltese Falcon's photo.

It's a "Togs for Dogs" in Wetlands Cammo. Has both a zip, poppers and velcro.

These places seem to stock them

http://www.euroguns.co.uk/acatalog/Miscell...ccessories.html

http://www.everythingoutdoor.co.uk/togs-fo...mo-d172858.html

GB

Edited by garyb

Just bought the 5mm armoure one from Cabelas for my GWP. Had to get XXXL for his chest size and have altered it with sizzors to the locking stiches as descibed but his penis is still totally inside the jacket and currently he aint too happy about not being able to give his privates a good lick presently. Could realy do with another locking stich run further along the belly area, 33" chest 17 1/2" neck behing the scull but he just isn't shaped like a big fat Chessie or something. Does anyone know someone who might do this near Clitheroe?

To the guy who made the negative comments, might i suggest you jump in a few gutters in the middle of winter and then sit around in a stiff wind on the saltmarsh, dogs can die of hypothermia out on the marsh etc in winter. mine has a good coat and will face most weather without complaint and lives outside perminantly but these neoprine coats are a good idea out shooting the marsh etc whatever dog you have

Just bought the 5mm armoure one from Cabelas for my GWP. Had to get XXXL for his chest size and have altered it with sizzors to the locking stiches as descibed but his penis is still totally inside the jacket and currently he aint too happy about not being able to give his privates a good lick presently. Could realy do with another locking stich run further along the belly area, 33" chest 17 1/2" neck behing the scull but he just isn't shaped like a big fat Chessie or something. Does anyone know someone who might do this near Clitheroe?

To the guy who made the negative comments, might i suggest you jump in a few gutters in the middle of winter and then sit around in a stiff wind on the saltmarsh, dogs can die of hypothermia out on the marsh etc in winter. mine has a good coat and will face most weather without complaint and lives outside perminantly but these neoprine coats are a good idea out shooting the marsh etc whatever dog you have

:hmm: :hmm:

My Springer suffered from the cold a couple of seasons ago and it brought on the Energy Induced Collapse which I had to rush him to the vets for. He has one of the 5mm thick neoprene jackets that he will wear on the marsh from about the middle of October onwards. He doesn't wear it yet as it would be far too warm.

I suggest anyone to just go and sit on the marsh in December in a northerly wind without a coat done up to the neck and see how you get on.

My dog is by best mate as well and I have a coat so why should he?

Ian.....mine is the 'togs for dogs' type from Euroguns, as posed above, they only hold one size in stock for Springers and I have to say the one I have for Roobs is a bit tight but have kept it as they do loosen up a tad and it's suggested they should be tight anyhow. Roob is a little 'un though so not sure if this one would be suitable for your mutt, i'd measure twice to be on the safe side, or if you want to try this one give me a shout and i'll drop it over. Glad there are others who think/know a coat is invaluable for a dog on the foreshore :rolleyes:

Edited by ziplex

Ian,

dont get the plain velco ones as the hair gets in them and they fall off, you want the plastic zip type.

I had one last year for teague but he has out grown it so with the midland next week i will buy another. i like the breast plate as i dont like the thought of chest damage from trying to push though ice.

I also use a wicking jacket for on the way home. it does just what it says and wicks the water out of the coat.

Teague has no under coat so he shakes like and an summers toy once the temp starts to drop. after reading about some of the dogs collapsing from cold im not taking the risk with any of my cockers.

all the best

Phil.

I reckon yours will get the hump most of the time Kent wearing it, GWP's aren't made to be tarts!

Oh he isn't exactly keen and am still working on slow, steady intoduction, no way will he wear it until it is real cold for water work but like i say Dogs actually die out there. Winter Does and Hinds ain't an issue but sat around waiting in a wind and wet on the marsh in December is entirely different. The GWP is a tough dog generally but equally so is a chessie and has more body fat and a better coat yet they have still died of the cold doing water work in sub zero conditons

Just measured the springer and purchased one from Kev at Tidepool, that should keep her warm this season.

Its dual zip and velcro so should hold well plus extra chect protection :good:

These do look the business and since the one I bought for Ruby is now too small as she's bulked up a bit since I last tryed it on her, I may order up one too.

The bit about your dog's cock cracked me up. Post of the month :blink:

LB