Dog Vests

Spaniel

• 2 weeks later...
Oh he isn't exactly keen and am still working on slow, steady intoduction, no way will he wear it until it is real cold for water work but like i say Dogs actually die out there. Winter Does and Hinds ain't an issue but sat around waiting in a wind and wet on the marsh in December is entirely different. The GWP is a tough dog generally but equally so is a chessie and has more body fat and a better coat yet they have still died of the cold doing water work in sub zero conditons

An update. Dog now exepts the vest fully we dont have issues getting him into it any more on the word "jacket" he allows me to grab both legs and pull him into it without any wriggling etc, he associates it with good things (me sitting on kennel floor with him and giving him a rub under the chin). Anyway while reading about jackets on an American site i find out that some trainers use vests to calm over exuberant dogs (now that sounds like my wire :yes: ) Initialy i poo pood this but no he geniunely seems calmer walking to heel like an old lab peg dog rather than the" full on hunting dog" dog he usually is ( insisting on walking just infront who ocasionally forgets that he aint meant to actually hunt while at heel and must stop and sit the moment i pause, yes he does it but often i get the feeling its just to apease and or avoid a rollicking). Now a i am not sure if it is the vest actually calming him, his associating it with a chin rub or just he aint got the fullest confidence in wearing it just yet- time will tell i supose just thought some might find that interesting and am wondering if any have experianced the fitting of a vest calming a dog? I know that Cesar Milan bloke off the telly thought the carry vests good for this, saying it was because the dog had a job but perhaps it is actually something else at work like i suggest?

Here's a couple of pics of the "togs for dogs" one in action

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...howtopic=138687

These are good, tough no frills vests, I ended up getting another one of these in a bigger size for the Springer as the Tidepool ones were either too big or too small which was a shame as they were well specced. I've owned one of these for the Pointer for some time now and it seems to be very hard wearing, the heavy duty zip makes them easy to put on too :ernyha:

An update. Dog now exepts the vest fully we dont have issues getting him into it any more on the word "jacket" he allows me to grab both legs and pull him into it without any wriggling etc, he associates it with good things (me sitting on kennel floor with him and giving him a rub under the chin). Anyway while reading about jackets on an American site i find out that some trainers use vests to calm over exuberant dogs (now that sounds like my wire :hmm: ) Initialy i poo pood this but no he geniunely seems calmer walking to heel like an old lab peg dog rather than the" full on hunting dog" dog he usually is ( insisting on walking just infront who ocasionally forgets that he aint meant to actually hunt while at heel and must stop and sit the moment i pause, yes he does it but often i get the feeling its just to apease and or avoid a rollicking). Now a i am not sure if it is the vest actually calming him, his associating it with a chin rub or just he aint got the fullest confidence in wearing it just yet- time will tell i supose just thought some might find that interesting and am wondering if any have experianced the fitting of a vest calming a dog? I know that Cesar Milan bloke off the telly thought the carry vests good for this, saying it was because the dog had a job but perhaps it is actually something else at work like i suggest?

interestingly mine is noticeably different in work mode, on a walk if you work her she is spot on leave to her own devices and thats when the pig headedness starts. was a joy last night sitting in a release wood looking for fox, loads of birds about and she just sat back to me not a murmur and kept a look out behind. Till they'd gone to roost and she laid down and started snoring but that is another matter :no:

An update. Dog now exepts the vest fully we dont have issues getting him into it any more on the word "jacket" he allows me to grab both legs and pull him into it without any wriggling etc, he associates it with good things (me sitting on kennel floor with him and giving him a rub under the chin). Anyway while reading about jackets on an American site i find out that some trainers use vests to calm over exuberant dogs (now that sounds like my wire :hmm: ) Initialy i poo pood this but no he geniunely seems calmer walking to heel like an old lab peg dog rather than the" full on hunting dog" dog he usually is ( insisting on walking just infront who ocasionally forgets that he aint meant to actually hunt while at heel and must stop and sit the moment i pause, yes he does it but often i get the feeling its just to apease and or avoid a rollicking). Now a i am not sure if it is the vest actually calming him, his associating it with a chin rub or just he aint got the fullest confidence in wearing it just yet- time will tell i supose just thought some might find that interesting and am wondering if any have experianced the fitting of a vest calming a dog? I know that Cesar Milan bloke off the telly thought the carry vests good for this, saying it was because the dog had a job but perhaps it is actually something else at work like i suggest?

interestingly mine is noticeably different in work mode, on a walk if you work her she is spot on leave to her own devices and thats when the pig headedness starts. was a joy last night sitting in a release wood looking for fox, loads of birds about and she just sat back to me not a murmur and kept a look out behind. Till they'd gone to roost and she laid down and started snoring but that is another matter :no:

interestingly mine is noticeably different in work mode, on a walk if you work her she is spot on leave to her own devices and thats when the pig headedness starts. was a joy last night sitting in a release wood looking for fox, loads of birds about and she just sat back to me not a murmur and kept a look out behind. Till they'd gone to roost and she laid down and started snoring but that is another matter :hmm:

Yes going off thread but once he knows your being serious the pig headedness disapears, used to have to fire a shot to settle him in the hide when he was younger. What i meant was the vest makes him less hot to handle, he can get over keen sometimes

mm might look a real tackle tart if I get one for when mine goes beating to calm her down, I was suggesting yours might associate it with work hence the calming influence so was sort of on thread :hmm:

Blimey Al4x,

The last thing you want on a dog in the beating line is a neoprene vest, they get so hot inside them just sitting on the marsh without running around.

Blimey Al4x,

The last thing you want on a dog in the beating line is a neoprene vest, they get so hot inside them just sitting on the marsh without running around.

it wasn't a serious suggestion, I've a dog that laid in snow in minus 10 as she'd been running about a lot on a shoot day to cool down. Its probably a serious side to it that you probably do need to be careful they don't overheat in them

mm might look a real tackle tart if I get one for when mine goes beating to calm her down, I was suggesting yours might associate it with work hence the calming influence so was sort of on thread :yahoo:

Oh i see, no he aint been worked in it yet. Like suggested overheating would be an issue presently, just as dangerous as the cold. He wont wear it in anger till much later in season