Webbers Wagon

webber

Just wondering if it will be ready for the Scotland trip next year if so, will we be leaving the quad behind? :hmm: .

Mcf

Hopefully, it will be ready, but I'm in no rush. Paddy and I have had a quick look at what is required, the list is long, and getting longer. The quad will be going to Scotland; horses for courses!

webber

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First technical hurdle.

Whist rooting around under the bonnet yesterday I spotted the cable drive for the speedo.

However the auto gearbox has an electronic output for an electronic speedo.

My first thoughts are to investigate the speedos fitted to later defenders, and establish if they are electronic, and if so, are they compatible with the disco autobox?

I suppose that I could try to fit the disco instrument cluster?

Maybe its time I signed up to Difflock.

webber

You could go for an electronic gauge, vdo etc which is configurable. Or it should be possible for you to just remove the transducer, and put the mechanical speedo cable into it. (it may need a little filing down to fit, or it may go straight in)

Or if you can't be bothered, you could always just use a GPS speedo. (most modern telephones have some sort of free gps speedo app, speedview on the android also has a heads up display mode which reflects your gps speed on the windscreen- neat at night, rubbish in sunlight)

Edited by ProteuS

Webber talk to pavman he's put a hole through the roof of his new Ranger and fitted a marine hatch to shoot out of. As others have said do not try lying on the roof. I'd add do not think you can stand on the back and shoot over the roof either. The only way is standing or sitting up with good rests. Always difficult with a roofed in vehicle, a lot easier with a pick up.

All good suggestions lads thanks.

The lads in my workshop have pointed me in the direction of an American website which offers various digital options, signal in, reading out, all very snazzy, but around $750.

I'm sure that I won't be the first LR nut to try and cross this particular bridge. I was relieved when I learned that there was a reletivly easy solution to the problem, albeit at a price.

The truck needs to be road legal, and so needs a speedo.

I spent most of the evening researching various bits, I've not started to cost it all up yet, but I forsee the price of gas increasing.

webber

Webber speedo is not a legal requirement why not use the tried and tested wind sock you can measure how fast your going by how errect it is on the mast.

One locally the same as yours sold for £2800 with test and ticket.

Kind regards OTH

Edited by Over the hill

Webber talk to pavman he's put a hole through the roof of his new Ranger and fitted a marine hatch to shoot out of. As others have said do not try lying on the roof. I'd add do not think you can stand on the back and shoot over the roof either. The only way is standing or sitting up with good rests. Always difficult with a roofed in vehicle, a lot easier with a pick up.

you've tried it all as well :look:

A word of warning John, it's not too early to think about security :hmm::lol:

A friend of mine stripped, refurbished and rebuilt, including a re-spray in a stunning silvery gunmetal colour, a LWB V8 which had already been gassed when they (father & son) acquired it. They spent approx 5 months working every evening and most weekends and ended up with a cracking vehicle. This was finished about 8 or 9 weeks ago and was my mate's son's only means of transport, it wasn't perfect the interior was way off being finished in fact inside it looked like a dog :good:

Long story short, it was stolen off his drive on Sunday night with no sign of it so far, they are both absolutely gutted especially after all the hard work that's gone into it, they had actually done it on a shoestring, well they had not thrown lots of money at it but the time and effort they had put in was considerable.

The thing is that this was very close to home virtually round the corner from you at Clockface/Sutton :good::good: so be aware and don't skimp on the security features.

Good Luck and I'm looking forward to seeing the finished article.

Mr Potter

Mr. Potter

Thanks for the tips.

At the moment, webbers wagon is immobile, as there is much to be done. I'll take some pictures and post them up, as a before we started record.

I was intending to fit a simple immobiliser, was giving some thought to an alarm, possibly linked to a central locking system, but I've not yet checked out the feasibility of this. I've spotted a device which secures the pedals, and prevents the vehicle from being driven. I guess that all security devices only buy a little time if the thieves are sufficiently determined.

I'm still searching through catalogues and websites making note of items of interest for future reference.

My first priority is to get the engine running and all mechanicals working as they should.

I'll then decide if the body needs to come off the chasis; I think that it probably will, and if it does the chassis will be galvanised following rectification of any defects.

My main aim is to get a sound roadworthy vehicle; all of the other add ons, and extras can come along as time and spare cash permits; a bit like the webbers quad project, it changed appearance over several years, but got there in the end.

I'm currently looking for a used winch and winch bumper, deciding how best to repair the bulkhead, and contemplating a new petrol tank, as I really need to accommodate a Disco fuel pump, and won't need a large petrol tank as the wagon will obviously be running on LPG most of the time.

• 1 month later...

Been to Halifax today to collect a wrap around bull bar that I bought on Ebygumbay, what a journey, the satnay had a laugh and won habds down, it had me right over the hill tops down some narrow lanes, but the scenery was worth it.

I'm still waiting to get webbers wagon into bay 3 at work, but its getting closer.

webber

• 4 months later...

Webers wagon went on a short journey today; on the trailer from my home to my works.

The lads have got her on the big ramp, and I've been able to have a proper look underneath for the first time.

There's only one very small bit of welding required, but the lads have condemmed the new exhaust fitted by the previous owner. They claim that its not big enough for the engine, and as if by magic produced a pair of stainless manifolds off a 4.6.

We've had a dry run fitting the front winch bumper, I'll get some stainless bolts tomorrow. We've also discussed how and where to cut and weld the wrap around bull bar onto the winch bumper.

Next priority is getting the brakes working, and the engine running to enable the vehicle to be moved on and off the ramp as needs be.

webber

When I arrived at twork today, young webber had acquires a set of 6 Disco alloy wheels fitted with some part worn Greenlane Macho tyres. They look about right for what I want to do. The vehicle looks different already, but the wheels will need to come off again to attend to the brakes etc, its looking good.

Later this afternoon the lads managed to get the V8 to start and run on a temporary fuel supply. We're looking at removing the old fuel tank, and replacing it with a smaller petrol tank and an LPG tank, as webbers wagon is going to be on LPG Autogas.

The autobox oil cooler has been removed and repositioned to rectify the bodged job by the previous owner.

I've ordered the bulkhead repair panels, and need to order new seals for the windscreen.

webber

• 2 weeks later...

Petrol tank now removed in preparation for LPG donut tank. Will also be fitting two torpedos underslung. Need to find suitable location for smaller petrol tank.

Wind screen removed in preparation for upper bulkhead welding, painting, and eventual refitting with new seals.

Snorkel removed in preparation for painting, when we get around to it.

Second hand Rebel steering guard won on Ebygumbay, arrived today.

May be going to the 4 x4 show at Staffordshire on Sunday, subject to my mate getting a pass from SWMBO.

webber

I went to the 4 x 4 show today with DKphoto.

X Eng thermostat switch and housing for the electric fans which I've yet to buy.

Also bought a pair of chequer wing tops, but it paid to shop and have your witts about you. There was £1 difference beteen 2 stands on seemingly the same product, but closer inspection proved that the more expensive were made from 3mm sheet, but the cheaper ones were made from 2mm.

Picked up a couple of useful catalogues for bits that I'll need as the project progresses.

I think that the venue would be ideal for a shooting show similar to the one at Newark.

webber

The resoration started in ernest today, with front doors coming off, wings in the process of being removed, and repairs started to the corroded bulkhead. DKphoto has joined PW, and signed on as webbers-wingman. He'll be taking the photos and posting them on the forum for anyone who is interested in following the progress.

We've change the plan for the autogas tanks.

We've decided to refit the existing petrol tank, but modified to take the Disco fuel pump. We intend to fit a cylindrical tank underslung either side of the chasis inbetween the outriggers. We should get around 110 litres capacity with two tanks without compromising ground clearance too much.

webber