Webbers Wagon

webber

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Work has ground to a halt for a short while as we now have a que of vehicles awaiting conversion to LPG Autogas, so webbers wagon will have to go onto the back burner.

I've been busy on ebygumbay, and went today with webbers-wingman to collect a very nice 110 dog guard and pair of side steps.

I've aslo won a stainless grill and headlight surrounds. I'll get them cleaned up and powder coated with other items when the time is right.

The front footwells need repair or replacement. I'm going to a Land Rover breakers on Sunday to see what bits I can pick up.

webber

• 2 weeks later...

Come on john, where are we up to.Its been nearly 3 weeks. I've been watching the progress with interest, and its suddenly stopped.

Its like watching Emmerdale and then they take it off half way through the series. :lol::lol::lol:

The Autogas conversion side of the business has gone crazy in the last couple of weeks. We now have a waiting list for the first time in years.

Webbers wagon has therefore been put on the back burner for now, although we are talking about a major effort over the easter break.

We should achieve a lot, as we won't have the distractions caused by customers who would normally take priority.

Young webber has acquired a Mitsubishi Triton that we converted from new. We recovered it on Wednesday with a very over cooked engine. We've obtained a replacement engine which has been fitted today. We intend to keep the vehicle for towing and odd jobs, so I'll have the use of the Triton if the Landy isn't finished.

I'm still on the look out for odd bits, and still need to obtain the two 60 Litre gas tanks that I require. The thing is, the more research I do the more gets added to the list, central locking and an alarm / imobiliser were the latest items to hit the growing list, whilst diff lockers moved across to the fit at a later date list. Its where do you stop. I'm in no rush, but it would be good to have it on the road in time for the start of the pheasant season.

Rest assured I or webbers wingman will post on PW as progress is made. We're going to the Landy show at Billing in a few months, who knows what ideas we'll come back with.

webber

The Autogas conversion side of the business has gone crazy in the last couple of weeks. We now have a waiting list for the first time in years.

Webbers wagon has therefore been put on the back burner for now, although we are talking about a major effort over the easter break.

webber

I guessed you were extremely busy, I was just having a laugh really.

Although, I have been watching with interest seriously.

On a good note though, business going crazy, sounds like great news.

I guessed you were extremely busy, I was just having a laugh really.

Although, I have been watching with interest seriously.

On a good note though, business going crazy, sounds like great news.

It is very good news, but tempered by the fact that the cylinder gas business is now quite slow, but will pick up a little very soon when the game keeper/ farmers start to order propane for rearing.

webber

We should achieve a lot, as we won't have the distractions caused by customers who would normally take priority.

Young webber has acquired a Mitsubishi Triton that we converted from new. We recovered it on Wednesday with a very over cooked engine. We've obtained a replacement engine which has been fitted today. We intend to keep the vehicle for towing and odd jobs, so I'll have the use of the Triton if the Landy isn't finished.

I'm still on the look out for odd bits, and still need to obtain the two 60 Litre gas tanks that I require. The thing is, the more research I do the more gets added to the list, central locking and an alarm / imobiliser were the latest items to hit the growing list, whilst diff lockers moved across to the fit at a later date list. Its where do you stop. I'm in no rush, but it would be good to have it on the road in time for the start of the pheasant season.

Rest assured I or webbers wingman will post on PW as progress is made. We're going to the Landy show at Billing in a few months, who knows what ideas we'll come back with.

webber

Webber if you are not too bothered about the make of the alarm and you just want something that makes a noise :lol: and locks/unlocks your doors remotely you could fit a system similar to mine £40 from the bay all in. That includes alarm and central locking motors, very easy to fit. You could also add electric windows for around £50. These prices were for my 90 your 110 will be slightly more as it has too many doors :lol:

PA162280.jpg

PA162278.jpg

PA162277.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck with the project. I have to agree with AL4X when it comes to a hole in the roof. More height will make it/you unstable and you don't need it. Put in a sunroof out of any wrecked vehicle - easy to fit. Fix a 360 degree rest at the right height for you standing, or sitting on a high-stool, in the back and the job is done.

Keep it simple.

My LR90 has a lift-out sunshine roof and a modified, cut-down, standard LR safari roof-rack (£40) and works beautifully. (Seat or standing). Conversion takes 2 minutes.

• 1 month later...

HELP

There is a bit more rot in the top of the bulk head than we first thought.

I bought the repair panels with the longer legs, but now realise that I should have bought the full panel that I saw on ebygumbay some months ago.

As you would expect, the listing has now vanished. I've done a quick Google, but can only find the same panels as I already have.

I wondered if any PW Landy nut has also seen the full repair panel, I recall that it was around £100, but I can't find where to get one from; any suggestions, other than set to with the sheet metal.

webber

Thanks for the link to Britpart; sadly they don't offer the part I'm looking for.

I've been in contact with Craddocks who advertised the panel that I'm looking for.

They advise that they bought a quantity of the panels as a production over run. The one advertised on ebygumbay was the last one.

It looks like my days in the tin bashing shop when I was an apprentice are going to come in handy now.

webber

I did both corners of my 110 and had to extend the panels beyond the air vents with various bits of tin, time consuming but you can't see the joins now. I am not a good welder or bodywork expert but with a grinder and several pots of P38, no one will ever know!

• 2 months later...

Thanks to Webbers wingman for taking and posting the pictures. He has told me that he feels most honoured to be apointed as official photographer to such a presigeous lash up, sorry project.

The top few pictures show the bulkhead repairs in different stages of progress. Young webber has carefully cut away the rot and then welded new steel in place. The left hand side would have been finished this morning, but he ran out of bands for his air driven power file. I spent almost 2 hours visiting local suppliers to try and obtain some, but with no luck. They do say that you should let your fingers do the walking. A few clicks on ebgumbay soon had a fresh supply in the post.

The bottom picture shows the radiator mounted with a transmission oil cooler salvaged from a Range Rover P38. The lads have also fitted the X Eng thermostat. We are going to fit twin 11" fans, also salvaged from a P38. The bracketry was being fabricated late this afternoon, but ground to a halt when the mig wire ran out. I'll sort that in the morning.

webber

Keep them coming.

I like seeing rebuild photos - brings back happy memories. I have built a few kit cars and changed more engines / gearboxes than you can point a stick at, but not for the last couple of years.

I keep thinking I will rebuild or build another. This gives me the inspiration - just can't decide what type to do.

Edited by Gordon R

I recently bought a Lightforce remote handle from a fellow PW member; a week or so later, I won a used Lightforce lamp on ebygumbay. My intention was to shelve them ready to fit to webbes wagon:

However; webbers annual trip to Scotland is fast approaching, and the bunnies (if there are any) are going to buy it!

I therefore decided to lash something up to make use of the remote lamping kit. I considered a few options, the first being to make a fitting to fasten to the roof bar, but the problem associated with being able to open the door when fitted was too much bother to solve, given that I will probably only use the set up a few times, as I hope that webbers wagon will be finished for the 2012 trip.

I therefore started to look at options associated with the sun roof opening. I considered a number of possible options, all over engineered for the job in hand, so I decided to keep it simple. A piece of plywood caught my attention, so that was it, saw, drill, holesaw, pencil, stepladders, and wingman.

Plan A soon turned to plan C, and I blame webberswingman for allowing me to stick the rubber strips in the wrong place, so I let him stick them in the right place.

I need to make a few special bolts to clamp the sheet down to the inside of the sun roof, and we will be ready for a test.

Before anyone starts posting, I know that its as rough as a bears bum, but its not intended for permanent fixture or use on the road, and the bunnies won't mind.

webber