• .17 HMR
    • .22 Magnum
    • .22 Hornet
    • .17 Rem (centerfire)
    • .204 Ruger
    • .222 Rem
    • .223 Rem
    • .22-250

Afraid have nulled my vote as I do not have an FAC yet. I'm in the process of applying and will be putting both .22 and .17HMR rimfires down for vermin and fox and will be very interested to see the outcome of this pole to help me decide which to get. I'm currently swaying towards .17HMR but have not ruled out .22LR yet.

just because it advises against plod allowing them for fox dosent mean they cant be.

under certain circumstances the .22lr can be cleared for fox (such as semi urban fox control) because of its unique sibsonic characteristics.

the 17 hmr is being cleared for use on fox in most cases now, and i believe its not a problem getting this.

the 17 hmr will come out on top here im certain, most people dont shoot many rabbits with centerfires, its an expensive way of taking care of them. where as the hmr is quite cheap, and able to do foxes at reasonable ranges.

i am sorry to say RossM, but the .22lr and 17.hmr are very different beasts. both have their places, however the .22lr cannot ever be replaced. reason being simply, its cheap and subsonic.

in my opinion the .22lr is a must have tool in the shooters safe, if you are serious about rabbit controll.

The first two are NOT fox calibres and it would be a very uninformed FEO who let you have either of these for Fox!

Just being through this with the FEO, & BASC, they said that both were not legal for Fox. Yes I know they both will, but apparently not legal. Anyone wanting/getting one for the Fox, I suggest you do your homework first.

Bazooka Joe. :thumbs:

Bazooka Joe, I think your signature says it all. From all the posts I have read on the topic of rimfires and their use both here and on other forums it seems that it is the person behind the trigger which matters. A good sportsman/hunter should know if the calibre rifle he has in his hand is suitable for the quarry in his sights over the distance hes aiming. Only when sure of all this should that person pull the trigger.

If you decide on a .22 LR - get two mags. Use one for subsonics for your rabbits, but keep the other loaded with a few hi- velocity .22 for when Charlie pops along! You can swap over quickly and give him a surprise.

But remember to practice with the hi-velocity rounds so you know where they will go - otherwise they will whizz over Charlies head and leave you cursing.

If you try a .17 you will be hooked - but like Dunganick says - .22 LR will always have a place in the gun cabinet.

B

By the way - you will be amazed how often Charlie turns up for a free meal when you are rabbiting - it pays to be ready.

The first two are NOT fox calibres and it would be a very uninformed FEO who let you have either of these for Fox!

Just being through this with the FEO, & BASC, they said that both were not legal for Fox. Yes I know they both will, but apparently not legal. Anyone wanting/getting one for the Fox, I suggest you do your homework first.

Bazooka Joe. ;)

as i said, this is the offical guidance, i believe that you can get 17hmr and 22lr cleared for fox IF you have a good reason.

my old man has his 22lr cleared for fox, he also has his 6.5 cleared for vermin :thumbs:

i wish we still had a friendly FEO :oops:

My main reason for getting a .22 or .17 rimfire will be for rabbits. In fact 99% usage will be rabbits and target. Only the odd occasion will i require to shoot foxes. For those odd occasions i'll have either my 12b or the .22. I think the FEO would rather put fox use down against my .22 than grant me another calibre for fox as this will keep the number of guns i need to have down to a minimum.

My main reason for getting a .22 or .17 rimfire will be for rabbits.  In fact 99% usage will be rabbits and target.  Only the odd occasion will i require to shoot foxes.  For those odd occasions i'll have either my 12b or the .22.  I think the FEO would rather put fox use down against my .22 than grant me another calibre for fox as this will keep the number of guns i need to have down to a minimum.

Lets hope you dont get a yearning for a .223 if you get into some serious fox shooting.

Very intersting poll, looks like, at the moment anyhow, that the .22lr and 17 HMR are leading. ;)

I have another poll coming on in my head, hope i get it right this time. :thumbs:

My main reason for getting a .22 or .17 rimfire will be for rabbits. In fact 99% usage will be rabbits and target. Only the odd occasion will i require to shoot foxes. For those odd occasions i'll have either my 12b or the .22. I think the FEO would rather put fox use down against my .22 than grant me another calibre for fox as this will keep the number of guns i need to have down to a minimum.

You will not be granted a 22lr for Fox. End off!

My main reason for getting a .22 or .17 rimfire will be for rabbits.  In fact 99% usage will be rabbits and target.  Only the odd occasion will i require to shoot foxes.  For those odd occasions i'll have either my 12b or the .22.  I think the FEO would rather put fox use down against my .22 than grant me another calibre for fox as this will keep the number of guns i need to have down to a minimum.

Leicestershire constabulary consider the fox as vermin - and can be shot with .22rf

.22 on Fox debate yet again :thumbs: The home office guidance stipluates that .22LR is legal on Fox. However, it is not preferred and should only be used at close distances in circumstances where a more poerful round can not be used.

Sussex issue .22LR & 17HMR for both Fox & Vermin as stated on the FAC. Some constabularies may not however. Ignorance of the law is not bliss, anyone who is unsure of thier standing in this subject should contact thier licensing department and ask the relevant questions.

As for my choice at the moment it has to be .17HMR as I havent got fullbore.

you can

its a complex thing.

i have seen so many tickets with fox cleared for .22, it IS possible

Frank dont take this the worng way but i note there are no 204s up there. I havent heard anyone talk about a 204 since you sold yours. Has the 223 made them redundant??

By the way I got my 2nd day at the range yesterday and it was great. Used a couples of 308 and a 6.5 x 55. I will be going monthly now, great.

Frank dont take this the worng way but i note there are no 204s up there. I havent heard anyone talk about a 204 since you sold yours. Has the 223 made them redundant??

No offence taken Big Dog. B) I heard that the .204s were not getting the job done on a fox from variouse other people. I had this problem aswell, as my .204 i once had , did not group with the 40 gr v.max but grouped ok with the 32 gr ones. But the 32s made crater wounds most of the time and a second shot had to be taken B) Ahh i could go on with all the problems i had with the .204, dont want to bore anyone to death. :o Besides, the .223 i got now is a dream to shoot, cheap as chips, accurate and a mass veriety of ammo to choose from. :lol:;)

So id say, yes, the .223 has made the .204 very redundant down here in the south or ireland. B)

I would hate to have to take a challenging shot on a fox with a .22, even assuming it's perfectly legal. If my FEO told me to use my .22 I'd protest strongly in favour of a .223 (the foxing daddy I think) or perhaps a .222.

Bear in mind that when it comes to vermin, lets assume fox is vermin for the moment, then you need ammo choice and cheapness also.

I can legally use my .25-06 to obilterate a fox from 450yds in a crosswind but it would be costing me £1 a pop. There are also the issues of ricochet and sound to consider.

I like my .22LR for small stuff like bunnies, I like my big gun for deer and I'd recommend a .223 for fox, IMHO?

It's certainly an interesting subject for debate though!