Need help quickly

gaz-loc

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this from personal experience, Bart? if thats the case, then your aim was wrong

I would normally use 0.32 S&W long, but have shot cattle with a 12 before.

Jim

Yes, shot quite a few with a .32 and seen them shot with other things including a shotgun and the shotgun was very messy and didnt do the job.

I have put cows and a big bull down in the past using both a 12 bore shot gun with no 6 game cartriges and a .308 rifle . If you can get close to the beast and I mean very close like 2 or 3 feet then the shotgun is the boy . If not the .308 with a well placed shot to the base of the neck were it joins the shoulder . I shot a very large bull that had broke a leg with my .308 at about 60 yards with a neck shot it killed it instantly ,although the attending vet shot it again in the head with a .32 pistol . I can tell you all now that a 12 bore shot gun at close range will kill any cow or bull if shot in the head .

Harnser .

Edited by Harnser

There's a mixture of really good and really bad advice in this thread!

A shotgun is the perfect weapon to destroy cattle at close range. A 12G will kill a bull cleanly and with little mess using any cartridge you can find - I promise you'd do it with 21G number 9. 4,5 or 6 would be better ~28/30g. Hold the gun 6-12 inches from the head aim as in the attachment down the neck.

http://www.hsa.org.uk/Resources/Publicatio...ER%20sample.pdf

Although I have never personally shot a bull with a .410 I have shot adult cattle perfectly humanely and if I had nothing else to hand I would use that.

A rifle is dangerous at close range and remember [obviously] not to look through the scope at very close range or you will scalp the animal! A .22 rifle will kill a cow at point blank range.

If anyone has failed to kill a bovine instantly with a shotgun they must have shot it in the wrong place!

as Apache I've seen it done once and the vet I was with at the time was very impressed at the way it went down and that was a serious sized Belgian blue bull. From memory the knacker man did use heavy lead but I have to say we were both surprised the shotgun was the tool of choice,

Listen to all of the psuedo slaughtermen on here!

Call the knackerman or your vet, asking for advise on euthanasia for a large injured, dangerous animal on the internet is mental.

Apache, no insult intended but you should know better as a vet.

For the record, I've been a licensed slaughterman for years, and I still miss sometimes with a captive and have 500kg of cattle going bat**** after shooting, what will he do then with the 12b at 'close range'?

Edited by kyska