Need help quickly

gaz-loc

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So would you use .22 next time ?

Does it make a difference what colour budgie :hmm:

probably would take the cage outside and not try shooting him whilst i was sitting on an arm chair at the other end of the room,the green ones are quite tough ive heard,and watch out for richochets off cage toys and cuttle fish bones in the cage!

cattle with the farmer present are very different to a horse with the owner present. I'd seriously think twice about the latter as were anything to go wrong the owner wouldn't take it well, whereas the farmer would just say give it another one. Deer roadside I've done the odd one and seen a fair few done and you can go front or back of the head doesn't make much difference. Had the local keeper out to a sickly fallow buck a few months ago, 10ft away job done with 6's. What you don't want to do is use a free bullet in a town environment and hit a kerb stone on the exit, seen that done on the edge of Hitchin with two policemen in attendance.

Kyska obviously you are used to killing in a confined environment which is fine the average accident with a cow will be in the middle of nowhere. Vet may be available may not be, not sure where you find a slaughterman at night but mostly round here there are a couple of Knackermen. If you don't have hunt kennels then they usually operate on a big patch our local one is 20 miles away so you have an option of leaving a suffering animal or sorting it out. Fundamentally it really isn't rocket science and two vets on here gave guidance and didn't seem to think it a particularly big deal. The first one will always have you wondering till you've done it

Oh I completely agree, I'm not arguing that any of the methods discussed are inhumane, my point was that if someone hasn't done it before, reading off the interwebs and then setting about a bull with a shotgun is a bad idea. At least go and watch someone do it before trying yourself?

i agree with majority on here, 12g is best for bull (of any size). used no6 shot at 2 feet over the gate and good night..dropped like a sack..! wouldnt fancy using .22 for the same shot inside.

somebody mentioned dispatching from the back of a head, this doesnt work as effectively. definitely draw an imaginary line from horn to eye to form an 'x' and shoot this point.."down the neck" as said before.

im of the opinion that all shooters should be able to dispatch an animal if needed, i think its the 'idea' of a big bull staring at you that puts some off, you woudlnt think twice if it was a charlie 2 feet away..!?

hope the bull did manage to get humanely dispatched in the end..there is no need for an animal to suffer longer than necessary .

somebody mentioned dispatching from the back of a head, this doesnt work as effectively. definitely draw an imaginary line from horn to eye to form an 'x' and shoot this point.."down the neck" as said before.

the thing is animals don't alway present a face on shot, and knowing that the 'behind the ear' shot will drop it to the floor long enough to administer the front of head shot is quite important, not everything goes as planned and it's best to know the other options, especially when things go wrong :hmm:

Reminds me of the time i put my nans elderly budgie down,i couldnt decide on the .22 bsa meteor or .177 webley tempest.Went with the .177 and ended up digging the pellet out of her front room wall,just missing her picture of the late princess Diana which was lucky.Old Bluey went over ok god rest him!

:hmm::hmm:

I always thought it was .22 for fur, .177 for feather...

Guest cookoff013
You should go out and pattern your gun and see. I would appreciate it if you could post a video of you doing this as I like a good laugh. :hmm:

phew ! i feel safer already,

@ apache, can you be my cameraman, i`ll put it on macro setting first.

• 2 years later...

the thing is animals don't alway present a face on shot, and knowing that the 'behind the ear' shot will drop it to the floor long enough to administer the front of head shot is quite important, not everything goes as planned and it's best to know the other options, especially when things go wrong :yes:

I know this is an old thread now.....Have to agree with this....the back of the head shot is a card up my sleeve that i have in case theres no clear frontal shot....as for having to shoot something twice....only happened to me once...and that was when i was training....i use .357 magnum for bovine...and .38 special for ovine...they DONT AND SHOULDNT GET UP IF PLACED RIGHT...

and yes..i am a full time knacker man...I do it every day...

Our firm is on call with the police etc for 'out of hours' emergencies..RTA's etc....we take it in turns to be on call...

Edited by smig4373

It is a long time since I was on the forum and so you can imagine my surprise to see so much interest in the topic. Sorry for the delayed outcome. It went as so... After several phone calls it was agreed by the vet that I was to shoot the bull with the shotgun due to it being deemed unsafe to hold a bolt gun to his head. I fortunately had a few heavy load fiochi bb cartridges at the time. Well to answer any question regarding the efficiency of a 12 bore shotgun at point blank on a bull...it worked well. However I do recall it being one of the worst experiences shooting an animal I have ever had. It was surprisingly distressing seeing the reaction of the surrounding herd of cattle post shooting and shooting an animal I had seen grow up to be the fine valuable animal it was. It was an odd experience but much a relief to put him out of the misery he was suffering. I must add the most distressing part was the £5000 down the drain.

I know this is an old thread now.....Have to agree with this....the back of the head shot is a card up my sleeve that i have in case theres no clear frontal shot....as for having to shoot something twice....only happened to me once...and that was when i was training....i use .357 magnum for bovine...and .38 special for ovine...they DONT AND SHOULDNT GET UP IF PLACED RIGHT...

and yes..i am a full time knacker man...I do it every day...

Our firm is on call with the police etc for 'out of hours' emergencies..RTA's etc....we take it in turns to be on call...

I thorght you planted trees?