Newbie with HMR

Lez325

I took Adam ( pictured) out for some 17 HMR experience this morning over my 900 acres- we shot many rabbits and Adam bagged 4 for the pot along with some Beletas Mushrooms which seem to like certain areas of my land( front of Photo)- Ive never tried them but am tempted now- apparently they are a rare but very tasty

a good morning out with food for the kitchen too- what more can a man ask- the old Hunter Gatherer kicks in lol

hope you'll come back for another lesson soon buddy? & good luck with the FAC application

Les :hmm:

09092010068.jpg

Edited by Lez325

Was a superb morning - thanks again Les.

WHAT A TOOL the 17HMR is :hmm: ... well impressed. Ive only used air rifles until now and couldnt get used to looking up to 150 yds out for bunnies, I'm used to searching 40 yds out... and then needing a head shot, it's an amazing little round and has re-kindled the interest in getting my FAC and flogging my S410 to pay for a CZ.

The mushrooms were a real unexpected bonus - the are a type of Cepp. This one in fact:

http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/gallery/Dis...ooserresult.asp

And Ive just fried them down and lobbed them in a floured bap with a pigeon breast! MMMM!!!!

Catch you again soon Les.

What a great result and what a wonderful gesture from Les, well done mate on encouraging and helping newbies, you deserve some recognition for that mate. :hmm::hmm:

I have to say that looking at the photo I am not sure that I would be comfortable with that much moderator stuck out the front, does it not make the rifle feel "end heavy" mate? :hmm:

Adam, stick with Les and you will learn a lot, he knows what he is talking about and from what I have heard he is a good bloke, the sort of friend that you can rely on! :hmm::hmm::hmm:

As for the 17HMR, if you do decide to get one the more you use it the more it will keep surprising you, it's capabilities are trully amazing mate! I would not be without mine!

Was a superb morning - thanks again Les.

WHAT A TOOL the 17HMR is :hmm: ... well impressed. Ive only used air rifles until now and couldnt get used to looking up to 150 yds out for bunnies, I'm used to searching 40 yds out... and then needing a head shot, it's an amazing little round and has re-kindled the interest in getting my FAC and flogging my S410 to pay for a CZ.

The mushrooms were a real unexpected bonus - the are a type of Cepp. This one in fact:

http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/gallery/Dis...ooserresult.asp

And Ive just fried them down and lobbed them in a floured bap with a pigeon breast! MMMM!!!!

Catch you again soon Les.

I now own the book- " Roger Phillips Mushrooms"

Les :hmm:

Lez, it's really good of you to take someone out for the experience. Nice one! It's such a great way for a new shooter to learn. So many mistakes and complications can be explained away so a lad can get off to a clean start with a good idea of how these things work.

This reminds me of when I first started down the FAC route with the guy that become my mentor and also a good friend. What was to him taking a lad out with his .22 was an amazing experience for me. It moved on to calling Foxes and using his AR15 and then Deer stalking with a 6.5x55, closely followed by the arrival of my 6.5x55 and a hunting trip to Devon! The strangest part is when he was removed from my FAC and I could go out on my own - I actually found that I still preferred to shoot with him, and also started to take out others who I thought would enjoy the sport. This reminds me that actually I haven't seen him for a while. I must sort that out.

Adam - Some good shooting there mate. I'm sure it must have been a great experience for you after using air rifles. The HMR is an amazing tool to use in comparison but don't forget about the air rifles. They still serve a big purpose in the sport and there will be a time where a HMR just cannot do what you need to do, probably for safety reasons. You're lucky to have someone like Lez to get you started in the sport and my advice is to do your best to take in every little detail when you watch him shoot. It's very easy to sit and talk about it but when you actually get down and watch an experienced shot at work you'll pick up a lot of things that don't get mentioned.

More of us should do this sort of thing. It takes a bit of effort but just think how much it helps people with their applications and also just basic shooting skills! It's well worth it.

What a great result and what a wonderful gesture from Les, well done mate on encouraging and helping newbies, you deserve some recognition for that mate. :hmm::hmm:

Adam, stick with Les and you will learn a lot, he knows what he is talking about and from what I have heard he is a good bloke, the sort of friend that you can rely on! :hmm::hmm::hmm:

As for the 17HMR, if you do decide to get one the more you use it the more it will keep surprising you, it's capabilities are trully amazing mate! I would not be without mine!

:hmm:

Exellent to see people prepared to make sacrifices to assist new shooters into the sport.

Adam - Some good shooting there mate. I'm sure it must have been a great experience for you after using air rifles. The HMR is an amazing tool to use in comparison but don't forget about the air rifles. They still serve a big purpose in the sport and there will be a time where a HMR just cannot do what you need to do, probably for safety reasons. You're lucky to have someone like Lez to get you started in the sport and my advice is to do your best to take in every little detail when you watch him shoot. It's very easy to sit and talk about it but when you actually get down and watch an experienced shot at work you'll pick up a lot of things that don't get mentioned.

More of us should do this sort of thing. It takes a bit of effort but just think how much it helps people with their applications and also just basic shooting skills! It's well worth it.

Thanks. I really do appreciate the last two trips Les has taken me out on, but like you it hasnt felt like a 'lesson' - we've just gone out on a shoot and chatted - Ive absorbed like a sponge Les' experiance, but also had a great day, made a new friend and had a good natter - not to mention shot a few things!

Les wouldnt take a penny from me for fuel and ammo - the best I could offer him was half a dozen fresh chicken eggs!

I probably couldnt justify keeping the PCP Air rifle, but for sure an air rifle will always have a place in the cupboard - my garden is heaving with rabbits!

Edited by adam f

Thanks. I really do appreciate the last two trips Les has taken me out on, but like you it hasnt felt like a 'lesson' - we've just gone out on a shoot and chatted - Ive absorbed like a sponge Les' experiance, but also had a great day, made a new friend and had a good natter - not to mention shot a few things!

Les wouldnt take a penny from me for fuel and ammo - the best I could offer him was half a dozen fresh chicken eggs!I probably couldnt justify keeping the PCP Air rifle, but for sure an air rifle will always have a place in the cupboard - my garden is heaving with rabbits!

and very tasty they were too - thank you Adam- I did try to make our trip feel un-educational - but Im sure you'll agree all aspects of safety- backstops- rifle handling & shot placement and the use of stalking sticks were covered in detail- shooting should be fun but safe for all concerned

I did plan to extend the offer of tuition - Experience of rimfire & centre fire rifles + Shotguns to other NEWBIE PW members who were maybe considering FAC applications, I posted a thread and felt I was being shot down ( no pun intended) by some of the comments I received in response( I did suggest a fee £30 to cover Ammo x 50 rounds- Fuel for driving around my land and a packed lunch + coffee etc this fee was a sore point to some people I guess

I withdrew my offer not wanting to start a long drawn out bun fight with objectors- however if any new shooter wants a Rimfire Experience and guaranteed RABBITS- then please PM me and I'll see what I can arrange- weekends or week days either is acceptable

Adam, see you again soon for more rifle experience fella ( maybe give the 223 a go on old Charlie)

Les :good::good::good:

Edited by Lez325

and very tasty they were too - thank you Adam- I did try to make our trip feel un-educational - but Im sure you'll agree all aspects of safety- backstops- rifle handling & shot placement and the use of stalking sticks were covered in detail- shooting should be fun but safe for all concerned

I did plan to extend the offer of tuition - Experience of rimfire & centre fire rifles + Shotguns to other NEWBIE PW members who were maybe considering FAC applications, I posted a thread and felt I was being shot down ( no pun intended) by some of the comments I received in response( I did suggest a fee £30 to cover Ammo x 50 rounds- Fuel for driving around my land and a packed lunch + coffee etc this fee was a sore point to some people I guess

I withdrew my offer not wanting to start a long drawn out bun fight with objectors- however if any new shooter wants a Rimfire Experience and guaranteed RABBITS- then please PM me and I'll see what I can arrange- weekends or week days either is acceptable

Adam, see you again soon for more rifle experience fella ( maybe give the 223 a go on old Charlie)

Les :lol::lol:;)

This is a great offer and at just £30 would be worth every penny!! Having been out with Les several times (search England v Wales rabbit shoot for some pics) I can say that the offer of ''guaranteed RABBITS'' is just that, a GUARANTEE. The place is teaming with them!! :good:

Be careful if you are not a great shot and easily embarassed as Les may show you up a bit :good::good:

Anyone who takes this offer up would not be dissapointed.

Edd

Hope all is well Les and maybe catch up soon?