san marco

bigsam

hi all

does anyone on here remember the old san marco shotguns ? or does anyone have one cos my dad whos 58 now has asked me to ask as he used to have one many many moons ago and he loved it ! i thnik it was a double hammer sbs job

any replys would be much appreiciated by him :thumbs:

bigsam

A friend of mine had one about 30 years ago.

It was a sbs Spanish hammer gun and I think it had damascus barrels.

Although it was at the very cheap end of the market and the wood use to lighten visibly when wet, the scroll work (especially on the hammers) was rather good.

I don't remember what happened to it and I can't recall ever seeing one since, or in a Gunshop.

Ahhh memories. :thumbs:

I had one from about 1989 until 1996. Iit was the first SBS I owned. It was made in the 1950s, had reproofed english whitworth steel barrels with a raised rib, was choked full and extra full ( :lol: ) and I shot really well with it. It was not light.

It became a little loose, and one of the locks basically packed up. I regret that the cost of repair was more than the gun was worth and I p'ex'ed it in against an english BLE with bad pitting, which was in turn part ex'ed against a parker hale, and I now have a nice AYA No 4.

I will always remember firing both barrels at incoming pigeon on the corner of a wood, reloading one barrel only, cocking the gun and taking the third bird out of the flock right back behind me. And my first driven pheasant shoot, and the fun I had on clays with it, the interest it attracted, etc etc.

I should have said "hang the expense" and spent the £200 or so on repairing the gun. Mind you, I like my AYA a lot.