RIMFIRES

Frank

Which One Or Both?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which One Or Both?

• .17 HMR
    • .22 LR
    • BOTH

Since i got requests to put both aswell as the 2 calibers, i have changed it to the above. :oops:

I hope this is the end of it now. :thumbs: ;)

As i have said, im trying to find out if the .17 HMR is taking over in sales from the .22lr, like i was told. :oops:

Edited by Frank

It seems most people have both. It still does not give me an idea how many .17 HMR owners are out their. I wonder if its out selling the .22lr? :lol:

They could be neck on neck prehaps. :o

I will ask my local firearms dealer and see how many get sold. ;)

Frank, I have a .22Lr only. They wont give us 2 rimfire up here unless you have a really really good reason. I have never come up with one yet.

What i can tell you is that I wouldnt give up the .22Lr for a .17 HMR. The .22Lr does the lower end of the business and when I get the .222 she will take care of the rest.

I would like a .17 HMR but would use it for cheaper target/crow shooting at a bit of distance. However, there is a lot of .222 bullets in the price of a .17 HMR and scope; if you know what I mean. :lol:

When i first got my .17hmr 2 years ago they were pretty new and every one was saying how much cleaning was needed .

So i did my own test

Ruger .17hmr off sandbags

Hornady 17grain ammo

10 targets at 50 yards

10 shots per target letting it cool between shots to stop stringing

1st target .564" group

2nd " .612" "

3rd " .598 "

4th " .751 "

5th " .689 "

6th " .721 "

7th " .852 "

8th " .823 "

9th " .956 "

10th " .897 "

So for me thats good enough :lol: !!!

I clean mine every time i crack open a new brick (50rnds)

When i say clean thats a bore snake soaked in hopes no7

Thanks lads, im starting to get the picture.

I did consider getting a .17 HMR along with my .22lr, but since i have a .223 aswell, i might just wait a wee while.

Besides, i want to consentrate on getting a 6.5 x 55 in the next year or 2 for deer stalking. B)

I wish i could have them all. B) :o ;) , or just move to Alaska. :lol: B) B)

When i first got my .17hmr 2 years ago they were pretty new and every one was saying how much cleaning was needed .

So i did my own test

Ruger .17hmr off sandbags

Hornady 17grain ammo

10 targets at 50 yards

10 shots per target letting it cool between shots to stop stringing

1st target .564" group

2nd " .612" "

3rd " .598 "

4th " .751 "

5th " .689 "

6th " .721 "

7th " .852 "

8th " .823 "

9th " .956 "

10th " .897 "

So for me thats good enough B) !!!

I clean mine every time i crack open a new brick (50rnds)

When i say clean thats a bore snake soaked in hopes no7

I dont soak my bore snake in any thing just pull it through now and then seems ok :lol: :o ;) B) B)

Just to put a spanner in the works

FAC AIRGUN :lol: ...........Yes I know what your all thinking but I shoot more with this than my .22 rimmy ....Reason being it is CONSISTANTLY accurate around 60 yds ...........If it's a windy night you can use that to get closer to the quarry anyway.........This UNDER ESTIMATED GUN is more versatile as it can be used without the worry of rick o shea so will be more suited to the different senarios that crop up on land surrounded by built up areas . As with any gun with less power it just requires more skill with the shot placement that's all .

Having spent loads of man hours and several thousand rds of ammo(different brands) at my local range I have come to the conclusion that the Ammo is ****......Some is less **** than others .I'm talking about £3.00 a brick for example as opposed to some of the expensive target ammo..........Mind you some of that can be dodgy

When hunting as we all know them first shots when the barrel is cold is CRITICAL.

Ask yourselves an honest Question .........concerning 10 shot groups ,how many times do you get the odd couple fly off anywhere and place themselves 2-3" away from their mates :o Too many times if you ask me B)

The rimmy is going I'm afraid and being replaced by a .17 hmr ........I'm keeping my more expensive and a ballache to have the divers air bottle re-filled air gun ;)

Ive

Just my 2ps worth

FAC airgun 60yds

.17hmr 120yds

.223 up 200 yds