RIMFIRES

Frank

Which One Or Both?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which One Or Both?

• .17 HMR
    • .22 LR
    • BOTH

hi mate i allso have 17.hmr and 22.lr.the 22 is my bread and butter,40;;90yards no problem.

the 17 i allways take with me and only comes out of truck for crows.foxes,upto 250 yards,and stinky old seagulls.only down side to a 17 is **** on a windy day and loud,even at 180 plus other quarry will be aware.

i hve a 17 and think that 250 yards is pushing it for anything, fox to 100 or so is more realistic. i havnt found that other animals are that bothered by the report (moderated).

I only have a .22lr and you can't beat the silent aspect of them, they truely are Stealthy with subsonics. The .17HMR is fast and very light, a bad combination with anything much more the a 100yd shot in a modest little crosswind or if there's a bit of grass in the way.

If you want to shoot fox, then a .22-250 or .223 are probably the thing to use. If you want to shoot crows at 200yds, my suggestion is to walk a short distance then use your silent .22 Bolt Action on 'em from a 100yds.

My .22 is an undoctored semi so I can't even really operate from a 100yds, I'd have to be a tad nearer and yet I still wouldn't want a .17; one shot and they'd all be in the air.