how big??

shaggy

in febs edition of sporting gun there is an article namedpower to impress about engraving guns and in the last but 1 paragraph it says he will be doing the biggest shoulder held shotgun in the world (got there in the end)

quote "designed to be 'the biggest shoulder-held shotgun in the world' the monster one-bore weighs 27lb and fires 1lb of shot!"

WHAT??

just what would you shoot with this gun??

how on earth would you put up with the recoil??

and why make such a large gun all the elephants are now protected

Surely this gun could not be fired from the shoulder, as previously mentioned it's more like a punt gun, and they was tied to the punt with breeching ropes to counter the recoil.

Is the formula for estimating the charge of shot a gun will fire 1 in 96 ? this rings a bell but not too sure, ie a 6lb gun is good with a 1 oz load, sounds about right, this monster gun will be firing 1/27th (1 in 27) of it's weight, that's gonna hurt, I would'nt want to fire it.

To expand on what chris is saying if from your 6lb 12 bore you fire 28g or 1 oz that is 1/96th of the guns weight so the kick will be slightly over 3 times that with a normal 12 bore with a normal cartridge. It is also dependant on the rate of burn how much kick you feal ie is it all at the same time ore does it feal more like a hard slow push.

Dave

A single ball of lead weighing 1lb :thumbs: ;) sounds more like a cannon ball. Perhaps it was intended to be used to cheat in the shot-put. :oops:

it does say shot though amd not single ball of lead

or does that still quallify as shot??

id love to know what they are shooting at though

i would presume its just a manufacturer going for world record as an advertising ploy but you never know :oops:

So, technically, its a 1 Bore if the bore diameter is sufficient to fire a 1lb ball ;)

If its a 1lb charge, the barrel diameter still has to be pretty impressive.

I'm certain that I don't have the shoulders or the eardrums to fire such a beast :lol:

Sounds like it would take down the best part of a flock of Canada's in one.

Of course, if you missed, they'd be so scared, they'd bury you in **** as they passed overhead :o