Cherish every moment

tom_0787

sorry about your sad news,it over ten years since my old lab died and it still gets me down (i've got a tear's in my eyes whilst i'm typing this).he was about 16 and i was expecting him going,it must be terrible to lose a young dog.i found him dead in his shed when i went to give him his morning biscuits,then i had to go to work all day knowing i'd got to bury him when i got home.i still have a walk down the field and have a few words with him when i'm up at my dads place.

all the best jim.

Thanks guys.

It's not until you have a dog that you understand the relationship. I thought most dog owners were barmy till I got Magnum.

We had been looking at getting another dog anyway Nd rather than wait we are going to go right ahead. The breeder we got him from has just had a litter of fox reds, 30 or so ftch and ftw in the 5 generation pedigree. All the other pups are going to trailing homes. It's hard enough missing magnum without also missing having a dog around, the house feels empty.

If any of you guys with rough shooting dogs were up for it I'd love to come and watch you work them. I have seen plenty of pickers and peg dogs but never really seen a pigeon hide or rough dog worked. I wouldn't want to shoot just get some experience to aid me training the new pup.

Having talked it over with the family last night we have decided to go ahead and get another pup. There is no way any dog could replace my lad but we owe it to him to give another lab a loving home and the house is horribly quiet without him.

We pick up Threevalleys Flame Gun (what a name!) On Oct 18th. I'm going to make. Real effort to make him a proper shooting companion, Magnum was always happiest training and was just maturing to the point where I could take him out with the gun when he passed.

I've just discovered Chrustchurch gundog club and I'm going to get into contact with them. Their training ground actually borders one of my shoots.

Sorry of your loss.

I lost my 5 year old springer and it is devastating. The thing was, it wasnt until he was ill that i knew how much a part of the family he was. After a blood transfusion he picked up and was brought home to recover. i had the week off work to revise for exams but instead spent it nurturing him when he had a brain haemorage and then died. I f*cked up the exams a bit but it was worth it.

I try and see my dogs as tools more than pets but get too attached.