Edible or Poisonous

Lez325

Yellow Stainer (Agaricus Xanthodermus) stains yellow when cut or bruised and smells inky. The field mushroom does not stain and smells pleasant and mushroomy. The horse mushroom may have a yellow tint but smells of aniseed.

As a general precaution the old adage ‘if in doubt, leave it out’ should be your watchword. DO NOT even touch any mushrooms you are not completely sure about as they can poison even if touched and you inadvertently lick your fingers later. Some, many, of the poisonous ones (which are not numerous) are not just lethal but will make you very ill before you die a long lingering death! Not trying to scare you or anything! :blush:

1560980951234659294f.jpg

are these ok?

I'm sure I tried some of those many years ago before going to see "The Song Remains The Same" in the Gatley Odeon. What a very peculiar evening that turned out to be. Never did find my cowboy boots, or get to the bottom of the identical massive bruises on me and my mate's foreheads. My advice...avoid!

I'm sure I tried some of those many years ago before going to see "The Song Remains The Same" in the Gatley Odeon. What a very peculiar evening that turned out to be. Never did find my cowboy boots, or get to the bottom of the identical massive bruises on me and my mate's foreheads. My advice...avoid!

LB

Known as a Yellow stainer !

Will give you Gut rot !

If you want to eat any fungus or Mushroom go on an Identification course , keep an eye on your local press these courses come up from time to time for about £40 or £50

I did one it was Great Fun !!!

ps they didnt want to talk about the "Magic" type only to say "Drugs are BAD" DONT EAT THESE !!!!!

Wb

I can 90% identify about 40 fungi - good and bad, but of these I'll only pick and eat a few main types:

Cep / boleutus, parasols, chantarels, puffballs, and hedgehogs.

Of these ceps and hedgehogs are pretty much un-mistakable once you know what to look for. It's great fun and certianly livens up a forest walk!

I'd second doing the 'fungi forage' courses - relaxed and informal, but very helpful if you like to fill your stomach with mushrooms!

Its the fact that one mistake can kill you that puts me off picking my own: My favourite type come in a tin with cream on them :mad:

I am also quite partial to the Asian dried fungi mix that Aldi sell, some weird looking critters in there, I can tell you :lol:

We used to picking 'those' shrooms in Heaton Park, circa 1985, but I give them up after being chased all over the place by a giant Tangerine :lol:

Edited by jacksdad

Its the fact that one mistake can kill you that puts me off picking my own: My favourite type come in a tin with cream on them :hmm:

I am also quite partial to the Asian dried fungi mix that Aldi sell, some weird looking critters in there, I can tell you :oops:

We used to picking 'those' shrooms in Heaton Park, circa 1985, but I give them up after being chased all over the place by a giant Tangerine :blink:

What was Dale Winton doing in Heaton Park?

• 3 weeks later...
have some of the above then walk around a deer park at night after watching jurasic park

My mate is convinced he saw Arnold Schwarzenegger squatting in a bracken patch having a Tam White - this was 3 yrs ago when he was 37 and I was a youthful 39.

Anyway, I do believe the fungus in the OP's a Yellow-staining Mushroom/Yellow Stainer (Agaricus xanthodermus) not lethal but will give most people a sore gut, copious puking & a right old dose of the skitters. The fringe on the stalk, the pale gills and of course the yellow tinge upon bruising are the 3 things that would make me leave this lovely looking fungus in the earth I found it in :good:

Edited by Egg