No Windmirror

TJ91

My windmirror just got on the wrong side of a transit van and is now in alot of pieces!

Is it a legal requirement to have wind mirrors or can i drive it without 1??

what do you drive ? you should have 2 rear facing mirrors , if you have a car with 2 wing mirrors and a centre rear veiw mirror technocally you are legal if you loose one . but it isnt the safest way to drive .

Also, beware of con & use laws - if the damage remaining leaves sharp pointy bits then you could get done for driving the vehicle in a dangerous condition. As mentioned above, as long as you have an offside mirror or an internal rear view then you are fine - there is no legal requirement to have a nearside mirror at all.

what do you drive ? you should have 2 rear facing mirrors , if you have a car with 2 wing mirrors and a centre rear veiw mirror technocally you are legal if you loose one . but it isnt the safest way to drive .

i have ordered 1 but will take 10-14days to get to me and i would like to drive the car to work everyday!

i still have the rearview mirror and the passenger side windmirror, its the drivers side that got smashed off

there is no sharp bits or anything stuck out

Edited by TJ91

I might have to stand corrected on this one - depending on what bit of legislation you read the requirements are quite diverse and often contradictory (a bit sad but I cannot sleep tonight so I've looked into this - their is a load of amendments to con & use laws and the euro powers not only contradict UK law, they contradict each other) - sec 33 con & use (sort of)states that you must have 2 mirrors - an external offside plus either an internal/nearside mirror but words such as 'should' and 'must' are chopped and changed throughout - further confused when you look at MOT requirements like below. Again further complicated when it comes to non obligatory mirrors that if fitted, must be in good working order and offences can be commited if they are not.

Obligatory mirrors

Obligatory mirrors are

a. an exterior mirror fitted to the offside (right-hand side when seated in the

drivers seat), or

b, an exterior mirror fitted to the

nearside fleft hand side when seated In the drivers seat), or

c. an interior mirror.

Passenger vehicles with no more than 7 passenger seats first used before 1 August 1978 must have any one of the above options - used after 1978 it should have offside external plus a combo of internal/nearside.

The safest option - get your offside mirror replaced asap

I'm off to try and get some sleep

So how many of you smartarses have got wing mirrors and not windy ones? ....none :lol:

When did you last see a car with the mirrors actually on the wings? about 1975 I reckon!

Anyway, if a car has a cracked mirror it will fail the Mot, never mind completely missing, you need the 2 outer ones and 1 inner, unless its a Class 7 3.5t van, in which case you don't need the inner one :lol:

The law requires you to have two working mirrors. One must be the Offside. The other can be internal or on the nearside. HOWEVER ....

Construction and Use legislation basically says if its fitted it should be working, so technically if the vehicle is fitted with a nearside mirror it should be on there.

If your making efforts to repair it. There are no sharp edges then you should be fine. :lol: