Plastic wads VS Fiber wads

Can anyone tell me if there is a difference , ie speed ,trajectory :blush:

Speed? No

Trajectory? Not an issue at shotgun ranges

Pattern? Yes. Generally plastic wads with a a shot cup will throw a slightly tighter pattern. Because the outer pellets in a fibre wad load are in contact with the barrel during their travel up the barrel they distort a little and so fly a little less true. In my experience though the difference is marginal and unnoticeable unless your a far better shot than I am. In fact some might say the slightly more open pattern from fibre could be an advantage when shooting at short range, pigeons over decoys for example?

The real difference is plastic are cheaper (a bit), but fibre are better for the environment and farm livestock. I use fibre all the time for clays and live quarry.

Edited by Blunderbuss

• 2 weeks later...

In our 12ga FH testing at the higher speeds for slugs/buckshot,

the BPGS (BPI's name for it) plastic seal gets us 100 to 150 fps more than

card wads. It is a Gualandi wad. It is a one sided seal, where one side

only is to go on the powder.And the top side

of it fits a cushion wad as well as some wad cups.

For open patterns there are spreader wads and wads cups. Ed

Edited by hubel458

I prefer to use fibre simply because they're better for the environment. I don't like the idea of plastic being lobbed around the countryside when there are alternatives (in fact these alternatives were around long before the plastic shot cups were invented).

Plastic may offer a slight benefit? I'm no expert and to be honest I'm not even that great a shot with a shotgun but I can't see plastic wads making a noticeable difference for me. In my view the gains they offer fall well short of the disadvantage of your wads showing up for perhaps hundreds of years every time a field gets ploughed! I just wont use plastic!

Speed? No

Trajectory? Not an issue at shotgun ranges

Pattern? Yes. Generally plastic wads with a a shot cup will throw a slightly tighter pattern. Because the outer pellets in a fibre wad load are in contact with the barrel during their travel up the barrel they distort a little and so fly a little less true. In my experience though the difference is marginal and unnoticeable unless your a far better shot than I am. In fact some might say the slightly more open pattern from fibre could be an advantage when shooting at short range, pigeons over decoys for example?

The real difference is plastic are cheaper (a bit), but fibre are better for the environment and farm livestock. I use fibre all the time for clays and live quarry.

thats the post i would of sent spot on : :good:

I prefer to use fibre simply because they're better for the environment. I don't like the idea of plastic being lobbed around the countryside when there are alternatives (in fact these alternatives were around long before the plastic shot cups were invented).

Plastic may offer a slight benefit? I'm no expert and to be honest I'm not even that great a shot with a shotgun but I can't see plastic wads making a noticeable difference for me. In my view the gains they offer fall well short of the disadvantage of your wads showing up for perhaps hundreds of years every time a field gets ploughed! I just wont use plastic!

There are4 advantages of plastic shot cups the ideal would be a biodegradable shot cup that will decompose ideal for steel shot over water in older guns. I would like to see biodegradable casings as most used casings go into landfill....

Can anyone tell me if there is a difference , ie speed ,trajectory :yes:

Depends where you want to use them.

On fields always use felt wads, farmers, landowners will not want to be picking up plastic wads all winter. shooting clays at a clay ground then use what you want, they have facilities to collect wads etc.

There is no real difference on speed, pattern quality etc in use.

A