first duck hunt...

Ozzy Fudd

went out on my first duck session of the year today. things were looking good then the usual happened - "i cant make it til a bit later", "oh i havnt heard from him", "give me an hour and ill be right there..." etc... so i finally managed to get out at 3PM :mad: to have a couple of hours walking the river bank id got permission on this year. i noticed a few ducks on it last saturday, and the farmer told me last night he'd scared 10/12 up off it during the week, so i was quite hopeful.... :)

so guess how many ducks i got?! 0. yep, zero. guess how many ducks i saw? 0 (unless you count two swans). even the ******* wooden duck decoys that had been floating in the river last week have disappeared! :lol: but somehow, even though it was a duck hunt, we managed to pick off a couple of crows and a large fox which i squeaked into 20 yards - kinda took me by surprise it worked so well, i was only squeaking on the back of my hand :lol:

at least it wasnt a total disaster, roll on next weekend so i can have another attempt... :lol:

Try duck shooting at dusk mate. And bring a dog. Nice one on the fox though!!

ive got a choice between a 4 year old rottweiler who doesnt like gunshots or walking more than 100 yards, and a 5 month old rottweiler/labrador cross who's only started her training and makes zebedee look calm and placid... :mad::) i usually prefer mornings for them, just after dawn, but due to the usual i didnt get out in time, wouldve waited til dusk but was helping out in the bar again so had to be home at 7 :lol: plus id got bored at one point and decided to see how waterproof my gaitors/boots combo actually was (couldnt be bothered putting on full waterproofs for a couple of hours), by crossing the river. needless to say they werent as wateproof as id hoped :lol:

admittedly it wasnt the worst of days, especially with the fox, just **** law how things work out. i swear ive only had about 4 trips this year that have worked out the way i had hoped they would, and ive been out 2 or 3 times a week! is it just me or does anyone else find this?! :lol: :yp:

Edited by Ozzy Fudd

aye mate i was going to, but it started off at "were definitely leavin at 6" and ended up finally gettin out at 3, still havnt heard from 2 of the others who were supposed to be going as well :lol:

ah well, fingers crossed for next saturday. got a week booked off end of october so plenty of time to practice before then :lol:

went out on my first duck session of the year today. things were looking good then the usual happened - "i cant make it til a bit later", "oh i havnt heard from him", "give me an hour and ill be right there..." etc... so i finally managed to get out at 3PM :look: to have a couple of hours walking the river bank id got permission on this year. i noticed a few ducks on it last saturday, and the farmer told me last night he'd scared 10/12 up off it during the week, so i was quite hopeful.... :sly:

so guess how many ducks i got?! 0. yep, zero. guess how many ducks i saw? 0 (unless you count two swans). even the ******* wooden duck decoys that had been floating in the river last week have disappeared! :yes: but somehow, even though it was a duck hunt, we managed to pick off a couple of crows and a large fox which i squeaked into 20 yards - kinda took me by surprise it worked so well, i was only squeaking on the back of my hand :look:

at least it wasnt a total disaster, roll on next weekend so i can have another attempt... :hmm:

I call now mostly using the back of the hand and I find it is very successful. I can vary the pitch and tone at any stage. Why don't you feed an area of the river and shoot it at dusk?