Rape?????

dodeer

sam f

imho i would say take atleast 20-30 decoys with you as the more the merryer! With that amount of decoys over rape that has not been shot over, i would expect a bag of atleast 175 + birds u might even get up into the 250 + size. So remember take plenty of carts with you.

all the best yis yp :ph34r:

If possible, try and recce the field the day before to find out which bit the pigeons prefer.

This time of year it tends to grow pretty quickly and they tend to hammer one small area of the field where it has been chewed off, so try and decoy over this bit if you can.

As YP says, 20 - 30 deeks would be plenty, and don't be surprised if you find piles of fresh empty shell cases on the so-called "virgin" field - we've all heard that one before.

It also pays to take a good dog along who can retrieve from the standing rape to save you trampling all over it.

Take a rotary with you - this is essential when shooting over rape, and also be aware that as it is likely to be dry all of this week in Kent, there is likely to be some drilling done which is going to be more of a draw to the birds than your rape field - so be prepared to move at short notice.

Also, pray for overcast and windy weather next weekend - Good Luck ;):) :unsure:

I am in Kent and in our area of the County, the pigeons have been on clover and chickweed for weeks.

Peas are being drilled now and they are top of the list.

The pigeons that are visiting the rape, seem to be on it at first light and then spending the rest of the day elsewhere.

We are getting our shooting, by being very mobile.

Be prepared to move, sems to be the motto.

Kent is a large County, hopefully things will be better where you are going.

Let us know how you get on. ;)

The pigeons in my area are deffinetly moving from crop to crop. On saturday I checked the crops on several birds. Some contained Rape, clover and new sown barley, one a mixture of all three. I suspect by the end of the week they will mainly be tuned into drillings as the farmers are finally sowing, thank god.

On Sunday Lloydy and myself had over 60 on a small field that had been sown with barley. There was no sign of any spilt seed on the surface at all but being in an area where we always see a few pigeons regardless of the crop, we conned them into decoying.

On checking a few dead birds, they contained just about every sort of food a pigeon likes from rape,barley,clover to berries.

They seem spoilt for choice at the moment. ;)

• 2 weeks later...