Who's Got The Vermin Condition On There FAC ?

Bazooka Joe

Should read; Who's Got The Vermin Condition On There FAC for Centrefire ?

Recently my FAC came up for renewal, all went well at the FEO Interview...just a young bloke, who was easy to talk to, I spent the best part of an hour & a half discussing Shooting/FAC/Conditions Etc.

I decided to ask for the Vermin Condition to be added on mine for a 223, & a 243, & he didn't have any objection at all, if fact said it made a lot of sense. Reading threads on a couple of different forums have brought this into the limelight, & a few members who requested this condition to be amended on there certs, had it granted.

So back to me.....my FAC landed back the other day, & to my amazement the condition hasn't being granted. So I phoned the FEO, his answer was that he'd sent all that we talked about into the FLO, if I wanted any more info, to talk to the FLO direct, which I have.

The answer Durham gave was they don't issue the Vermin Condition on Centre fire Rifles, because they are to Powerful :blink:

I now have an ongoing issue regarding this with the powers that be, I don't think my request for this is over the top, especially after the ACPO have recommended this condition be added for Centre Fire Rifles.

So, who got this condition on there cert, which force, & most of all did you have any problems like above ?

BJ

Edited by Bazooka Joe

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Isn't the new condition "any legal quarry"

Personally I do have vermin and fox on both .223 and HMR best option would be to ask what the problem is with being "too powerful" as with vermin control that shouldn't be an issue dead is dead. What did you have before out of interest?

Edited by al4x

Isn't the new condition "any legal quarry"

Personally I do have vermin and fox on both .223 and HMR best option would be to ask what the problem is with being "too powerful" as with vermin control that shouldn't be an issue dead is dead. What did you have before out of interest?

Hi Alex, I've just added this 223 to my renewal, 243 beforehand, Deer & Fox.

I explained exactly what you have stated above to FLO, it fell on deaf ears.

BJ.

BASC then if you're a member, this is all getting increasingly familiar. Its starting to look like the NGO's request for an Independant central licensing authority actually would be a good idea. Assuming they don't start this load of rubbish as well, suggest to them its for long range winged vermin shooting and how do they expect you to shoot 200 yard crows etc

Your next door neighbours do "vermin".

Mine is northumbria and states "for shooting vermin and for zeroing on ranges or land over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot"

PS unlike some, Northumbria class a fox as vermin,as it should be..

Edited by Blackbart

Are you a member of BASC? Ring them.

BASC then if you're a member, this is all getting increasingly familiar. Its starting to look like the NGO's request for an Independant central licensing authority actually would be a good idea. Assuming they don't start this load of rubbish as well, suggest to them its for long range winged vermin shooting and how do they expect you to shoot 200 yard crows etc

Not BASC, but it's in hand....I'm not wanting this thread to kick off with mines better than yours bashing thread. I'm interested in who's had problems concerning this issue, & if they were rectified.

Your next door neighbours do "vermin".

You would think by now BB they would sing from the same hymn book, seems beyond them,

BJ.

I have the "any other lawful quarry" condition on all of my rifles, from the .22lr right up to the .338 Win Mag. I seroiusly doubt I will shoot many bunnies with the .338 for cost reasons, but I can assure you the odd shot will happen when I'm having a bad day and I take a disliking to one on the way back to the truck. I have this thing about taking a loaded round from the chamber after a hard stalk - if I've not seen something good to shoot then often some other poor unsuspecting creature on the pest list will have an unlucky day!

I too would like to know how a centrefire round can be reloaded for 20p? Maybe a .22 Hornet but anything else I'd love to know! I could save a fortune! :blink:

Same here, I have vermin on the LR and HMR, then Fox and Deer for the .223 and .243

On my application I did put ...and other legal quarry for the centrefires but that bit was missed off. To be honest I didn't worry that much about it as I shoot for the pot (exc Foxes obviously) so vapourising rabbits with a .243 seems a bit pointless but if I did happen to shoot a rabbit with it I doubt anyone would ever give a toss.

mine says 22rf rifle shall be used for shooting, vermin/fox/ground game and for zeroing on ranges or land over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot

the holder of this certificate may possess,purchase or acquire expanding ammunition, or the missiles of such ammunition, authorised by this certificate and may use such ammunition only in connection with the shooting of vermin or,in the course of carrying on activities in connection with the managment of any estate, other wildlife

end of conditions

Hi, Joe,

Don't have 243 any longer, but, yes, vermin on 223. There is no mention of fox as down yer in Devon and Cornwall fox is vermin. The 223 (along with the 22WMR and 22LR obviously) can also be used for ground game.

Cheers

Interesting that you should say that as Devon have always listed Fox on my fac and everyone I know for that matter.

Cleveland:

all calibres including fac shotguns, shooting vermin and ground game, although for the .223 states only whilst out shooting fox may also be used for shooting vermin and ground game.

under expanding ammunition conditions.

a)the lawful shooting of deer

b)the shooting of vermin or,in connection with the management of any estate other wildlife.

c)the humane killing of animals

d)the shooting of animals for the protection of other animals or humans.

Cheshire dont like giving cf,s out for vermin either.(not a problem here in west yorks.) :blink:

you have pm.

PM back Mark.

I'm looking for members who have fought this, with or with out backing, & what the result was ?

In my mind what I'm asking for is not unreasonable,

Deer Condition for the 223, I already have it for my 243.

Amount of ammo to be increased, since I'm reloading,

And the vermin condition to be added for the 223, & 243.

Not wanting to breach the conditions on the FAC, I'm trying to keep myself right with the Law, & to keep my cert.

All this seems to fall on deaf ears at Durham....!!!!!!

I cannot see a problem, or, am I missing something ?

BJ

Edited by Bazooka Joe