stock to big

ronttuk

has anybody ever cut a stock down i have finally got hold of an old .410 for my son but the stock is too big i want to cut it down to suit him what type of saw should i use as i think a normal wood saw will spinter as i use it im drawn to useing a hack saw as it has small teeth and possibly will give a smoother cut its not made from rose wood or anything like that it looks like pine the value loss dosent matter as the gun was only £40 i just want to get a gun that fits any sugestions guys ??

Well i reckon your best bet is to get the gun sorted properly but if you really want to try yourself a tenon saw will do a good job. But as a tip, if you use tape and stick oaround the stock where you are to cut, it will prevent any splinters. you could also use a stanley knife to score the cut lines this will also stop any splinters.

ronttuk

I am probably to late to advise but known me I have to say something on wood issues being a carpenter by trade.

First of all, all the suggestion so far about saw make me scared. If noting else then tennon will do but depending on you skill other options might be worth a look.

If the shoulder end of the stock (butt) is straight then you are half way there. Three ways come to mind, all will require some form of caul or template style to fit the shape of the stock:

1. A good radial arm saw - if it is sharp and your can make a piece of would to fit the underside of the stock snuggly, it should be easy to get the stock level on the benck, with the correct set to match the existing angle of the butt and simple cut. This will leave a perfect straight cut and very little tear. A little rub with fine abbrassive, some oil/finish and your boy is shooting rabbits.

2. A good bandsaw - similar approach as above. Will be harder to control the stock as it is moving through the saw, unlike the RA saw above, the piece is fixed and the saw move through it. It will also require some sanding to get it straight and square again. A fixed rotating sander will do this.

3. A router - If there is a small curve in the butt end, a router is the best way. It will take some time to make a gripping template (cut to the shape of the butt and the curve on the end of the butt and fitted around the stock firmly with a flat top for the router to pass over) However, this will take the wood down very cleanly and fast once done. You would make serveral passes dropping the router cutter down about a 1/4 each time. This approach the work in in making the caul/template. The cutting will take 10 mins max and you should need no finish work other than the lightest of rubs on the edge to smooth it of. A router will cut clean even through the varnished or oil finish.

Like all jobs, success come not from doing, but from planning and preparation.

Hope this is at least interesting if nothing else.