Next years PW charity shoot.

MM

??? i bet there was not one bird that far out ??? if i wanted to shoot pan lids i would go to jjs :D

by the look of the way things are going we may as well go to a mass **** up and donate money to charity without the shoot :good:

Just a thought :lol:

I was thinking the very same thing yesterday Rob, it's not just about raising money for charity, if it was then why spend 40 quid on an entrance fee, probably another 100+ notes between a bit of extra practise, some carts and fuel running around, we'd do better just donating the lot, yet i get the feeling no one would bother :D

We use our competitive nature to pit the wits of one side against the other and raise money for charity while doing so, the minute we get away from the idea it is competitive and needs to be competitive will be when the whole thing starts to loose it's draw :D

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flame suit on here...

Could the format be mixed, say 25xABT 50xSporting and 25xSkeet, 25 Compak or any discipline etc, a mix of targets that doesn't favour any flavour of clay shooter but the live quarry shooters get a reasonable chance, obviously only the larger grounds could accomodate this. Just an idea.

Jon.

Jon on the day we had from memory 3 (out of 4) traps over 2 stands stands with close in dtl style birds, 3 traps ( out of 6) over 3 stands with low crossing skeet type birds

IIRC Joe on our squad had never shot ESP before, only shooting dtl, he thoroughly enjoyed it and said he was going to do esp again :good:

you never know we may actually covert you too ???

I was thinking the very same thing yesterday Rob, it's not just about raising money for charity, if it was then why spend 40 quid on an entrance fee, probably another 100+ notes between a bit of extra practise, some carts and fuel running around, we'd do better just donating the lot, yet i get the feeling no one would bother :hmm:

We use our competitive nature to pit the wits of one side against the other and raise money for charity while doing so, the minute we get away from the idea it is competitive and needs to be competitive will be when the whole thing starts to loose it's draw :no:

Well, we have gone full circle. I thought the hoo ha all kicked off because it was getting too competitive.

Interestingly, the Bisley meet was about shooting some un-inspiring targets (paper at 100 yards) but was more about the get together.

Being realistic, the people that won't and can't feature in the top 10 of PW clay shooters will by definition be wasting their money if they are coming to the day purely for a competition which they can't possibly win or feature in.

I think the whole thing is now being over debated and over thought. In fairness to ME, it took some skill and care just to get the event out of the starting blocks last year with the choice or charity, location and date for the event. There was hoo ha at every turn - take the selection of the charity as a single example; despite the endless debates and poll, when GOSH was selected there was all manner of toys thrown from prams.

I would have thought that taking a blue print of last year and doing it again would make the most sense - I don't think I am in the minority when I say it was a good do.

You can't please all the people all the time. For my 2p, I don't care where it's held, or particularly when provided I am given notice and I don't care what the charity is as long as it's UK based and mainstream.

If everyone could relax and take a deep breath then it will all be fine.

Well, we have gone full circle. I thought the hoo ha all kicked off because it was getting too competitive.

Interestingly, the Bisley meet was about shooting some un-inspiring targets (paper at 100 yards) but was more about the get together.

Being realistic, the people that won't and can't feature in the top 10 of PW clay shooters will by definition be wasting their money if they are coming to the day purely for a competition which they can't possibly win or feature in.

I think the whole thing is now being over debated and over thought. In fairness to ME, it took some skill and care just to get the event out of the starting blocks last year with the choice or charity, location and date for the event. There was hoo ha at every turn - take the selection of the charity as a single example; despite the endless debates and poll, when GOSH was selected there was all manner of toys thrown from prams.

I would have thought that taking a blue print of last year and doing it again would make the most sense - I don't think I am in the minority when I say it was a good do.

You can't please all the people all the time. For my 2p, I don't care where it's held, or particularly when provided I am given notice and I don't care what the charity is as long as it's UK based and mainstream.

If everyone could relax and take a deep breath then it will all be fine.

Agree with nearly everything especially the over debated & over thought bit :good::hmm: . Definitely agree with the legacy of ME and teams hard work has left a good blue print but that shouldn't mean it's cast in stone and that tweaking is permissible. I think that to make it more inclusive all scores should count (equal number from N and S) I still think the regular clay shooters should be handicapped but no-one else seems to have picked up on the idea.

In my previous post I brought up the "exclusivity" of the day and the more I think of it the more I am convinced that if there are non PWers on the ground the day won't have the same feel, it would be somehow inhibiting. The problem is there aren't many grounds that can offer the exclusive use of the ground & clubhouse especially on a Saturday.

Lets keep the banter (strictly lighthearted) going but as has been said many many times you can't please all the people all the time :hmm::no:

I'm going to add my vote to the (hopeful majority) who will turn up on the day or the night before if it's a distance, hope to shoot well, meet fellow shooting enthusiasts and pray I have the same amount of luck in the raffle :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Mr Potter

I totally agree last years was very enjoyable, the only change I would make is taking the scores from as many shooters as possible.

I totally understand why the top 10 was picked because at the time we had no idea if the teams were going to be lopsided or not.

I figure this year we wait till the entries are closed until we pick the number of scores that will count.

That brings the competitiveness for everyone not just the top ten shooters if the teams are balanced & all scores count.

:hmm:

In my previous post I brought up the "exclusivity" of the day and the more I think of it the more I am convinced that if there are non PWers on the ground the day won't have the same feel, it would be somehow inhibiting.

Yes, a good point well made Mr P. :hmm:

The next ground should be on the same basis. I dont want to stand behind some learners like Magman and Markio before I shoot - like I did last time !!!

:lol: :lol: :lol::hmm::no::good:

There seems to be an awful lot of people posting on here that are really jealous that MGman won the penis enlarger, or at least some of them need one.

Last year was a bloody good shoot, and the day before but the next one seems to be a disaster before the ground is picked. I don't think I will bother on the next one. After all who wants to go and spend £40 on an entry and not be competitive.

I must have the wrong end of the stick, I always thought a charity event was all about raising money not about seeing who has the biggest cock. As the last one cost me somewhere in the region of £350 - 500 it won't be worth it unless I come first by shooting 120/100.

So I think I will obstain now and not have to worry about it at all.

Have a good shoot guys, may the best man whin (GE)

I enjoyed the last one very much. Why not ring them and have a word as to the lack of support this year and see of they are willing to make a bit more effort next year. It was a good ground, and they have the clubhouse to go with it.

There seems to be an awful lot of people posting on here that are really jealous that MGman won the penis enlarger, or at least some of them need one.

Last year was a bloody good shoot, and the day before but the next one seems to be a disaster before the ground is picked. I don't think I will bother on the next one. After all who wants to go and spend £40 on an entry and not be competitive.

I must have the wrong end of the stick, I always thought a charity event was all about raising money not about seeing who has the biggest cock. As the last one cost me somewhere in the region of £350 - 500 it won't be worth it unless I come first by shooting 120/100.

So I think I will obstain now and not have to worry about it at all.

Have a good shoot guys, may the best man whin (GE)

I must be reading a different thread :no:

It's a bit early in the day to throw the towel in MC, even if there was a spot of JJ bashing a few posts ago :hmm:

I think that the positive comments and suggestions on this thread far outweight the negatives; especially when Teal has already confirmed that PW will be assisting in the organising of next years event :hmm:

I look forward to the details and hope that i can attend :good:

I think that JJ's would be a good ground to hold it, that way I will be in awe of all the 100/100 scores that get posted as the ground is so easy with all the dolly droppers they put on there.

I am really suprised that anyone ever goes to JJ's now as everyone always scores 100% everytime they go there it is so easy.

I am throwing in the towel as I cannot be ***** with it, you have already read that Hodnet didn't deliver the goods last year but people still want to return there as the "TARGETS" were so good. They are not the only ground capable of putting on a good shoot you know.

I just believe that some people are losing sight of why the shoot was run in the first place.

You'd have thought it would have make sense MM :hmm: a minute of someones time and 10p to make the call see what there saying, first port of call

both catton and sporting targets cater for stag parties etc, some how i can see either being 'exclusive'

all these allegations of willy waving I just can't see who there meant for MC, unless there meant for me :good:

It would be nice to hear the oppinion of the guys who had shot clays for the first time, Neil Smith and JonH come to mind :no:

I think that JJ's would be a good ground to hold it, that way I will be in awe of all the 100/100 scores that get posted as the ground is so easy with all the dolly droppers they put on there.

I am really suprised that anyone ever goes to JJ's now as everyone always scores 100% everytime they go there it is so easy.

I am throwing in the towel as I cannot be ***** with it, you have already read that Hodnet didn't deliver the goods last year but people still want to return there as the "TARGETS" were so good. They are not the only ground capable of putting on a good shoot you know.

I just believe that some people are losing sight of why the shoot was run in the first place.

That sums it up.... :hmm:

shaun

I've been using my prize daily, now my scores will be better on the next N v S shoot., I may even donate my prize back to the raffle !

M.

I would auction it off Mike,

There would be a lot of interest I feel. (Wrong choice of words I know but **** it who cares?)

Gents

Its time for me to come clean.

When this thread kicked off it soon became apparent that ME wished to pass on the organisers batton, and the member who had obviously been anticipated to pick it up was hesitant for what ever reason.

I gave the matter considerable thought and sought opinion from some key PW members, and then offered my services as organiser for the 2011 event by contacting Teal, who gave the matter considerable thought, and decided that he would prefer to pull the organisation inside, fully under the PW umberella, and take on the role of organiser. That is of course his perogative. The PW forum and good name of Pigeon Watch is his. Please lend him your support, and assist in any way that you can to make the 2011 event the success that it clearly deserves to be.

This debate seems to be going nowhere and achieving little. I never saw the event as a major shooting competition, but saw it as a way of enjoying shooting some challenging targets at one of Britains top grounds, in the company of friends, making new aquaintances, putting faces to names, and making some money for a worthy charity along the way.

My thoughts and observations are:

Hodnet is an ideal ground, for numerous reasons already highlighted by other PW members.

OK they cocked up on the scorers, Mr. Potter has already suggested an alternative method of scoring the cards which would negate the need for Hodnet scorers, provided that we could find our way around the course. A problem which with planning could be sorted.

The weather was an act of god. Please don't try to hang that onto Hodnet its geographic location, or ME.

There is a large number of worthy national charities to choose from, and my mind is open, but I do agree with the comment made by another PW member that it does seem that every other sponsored this or charity that is currently in support of help for heroes; they do need help, but so do others.

With regards to scoring, does it really matter which side wins? I see the score as something of interest, and little more. It would be possible to produce a number of scores to satisfy those to whom the score is a significant reason for participation. We can easily calculate the top 10 cards from each side. Its not too much trouble to calculate the average score, and or totals for say top 30 cards from each side; that would give a fair spread of talent from both sides. The overall average score for both sides is also easily calculated, as it was at the last event. No need for complicated handicapping systems, which I feel would cause more trouble than they would be worth.

Squad sizes were a problem last time, due to a lack of scorers and some squads having unbalanced numbers, probably caused by hurried last moment decisions due to circumstances that arose.

I do feel that squads would be easier to organise if members who can present their registration as a semi squad, ie 4 or so members who wish to shoot together, in the knowledge that their squad will be added to by the organiser at his discretion from individual entries etc.. This is what happened with Team Norgas and it worked well. I am now in quite regular PW PM contact with a couple of members who were attached to "webbers ringers". I do feel that the administration of small blocks of names is far easier to handle than say upto around 100 individuals. I don't shoot competitively, and don't shoot clays too often, therefore when I do, I like to do so in the company of a couple of friends who understand the personal issues that I have and how to handle them should the need arise. Its good to shoot with your mates, its also good to shoot with strangers, its good to strike a balance. Most participants do not shoot competitions on a regular basis, and therefore will have different expectations.

Please lets stay focused on what I see are the two main objectives; enjoy good shooting in good company; and make as much money as possible for the PW charity of choice.

Decisions do need to be made, but from what I'm reading I'm afraid that I may be playing my Duncan Balantine trump card, but would make a donation regardless.

webber

I reckon:

1. lock this thread

2. those that now have the torch to organise it for next year it crack on and report back in a few months with a part fait accompli once various options (debated ad nauseum in this thread) have been bottomed out. For example, why debate the venue if it turns out that the proposed grounds simply can't or won't cater for the day and it transpires that Hodnet is the only ground that will give exclusivity to PW for the day. Thus the report back would be:

a. it's Hodnet because no other ground could deliver

b. here's a limited choice of charities

c. here's a limited range of dates

Boom shanka.

P.S.

I rather liked Hodent and the Travel lodge and it wouldn't be that traumatic to do it again. If there was a problem with Hodnet it wasn't the ground or the targets and so with a gentle kick up the ground staff's backside and fingers crossed for the weather I am sure it could be lovely.