admit it do you eat what you shoot?

wol the hunter

If it is pest control then it is up to you, you are doing what you are there to do what you do with the outcome is up to you so to speak dont take any pressure off anyone. (Eat or not is up to you, just take away from shoot to keep client happy so to speak)

Jas

Guys I think the idea is that you're not just killing things for sport if you eat it.

Pest control is one thing but Joe Public living in a big city just don't realise that rabbits can be vermin and the farmer is actually breaking the law by not controlling them so it is eaiser to explain if you eat what you shoot.

If they 'were' healthy then pigeon/rabbit/hare get eaten either by my family or neighbours. Anything that I don't look at as normally edible gets left for the fox or buried.

Up until 2 years ago all the rabbits/hares shot used to go whole to a neighbour who paunched and cooked or they went to his ferrets. But I made a resolution to now paunch and freeze everything I shot if it is in good condition and edible. I just felt that I 'owed' it that at least. If you see what I mean.

unless i use them as bait i eat as many rabits as the belly will take, rabit pie, stew, roasted, anything thats tastes good, again the same with pigeons, ducks geese, if its healthy then ill try and eat it and i usualy succeed, im tempted by fox....i know i know grose, but well the belly tells me what to do, what the city type dosent realise is that things like rabits rnt cute little fat bunnies in hutches but the breed like mad, and i dont think theyd be singing the same tune it the rabbits burrow was undermining his house foundations

Rats, corvids, ferals and squirrels get whizzed for the foxes/badgers/whatever wants them, but woodies and rabbits come home with me for the pot. I've never been fortunate enough to have permission over land infested with eadible quarry, and am yet to experience the delights of decoying pigeon to the 12 guage, so currently I only shoot what I need for a good curry/pie.

And the end of the day I find hunting fun, and that's the way I like it.

I feel very guilty if i dont eat what is edible that i shoot. Love hares at the moment, when hung for 4 days and then cooked slowly on a solid fuel cooker, their hard to beat. :blink:

I sell the foxes to a fella who skins them and ships them off to places where fur is appriciated. :D

I eat everything thats edible and try and make the most out of things that are not. :blink:

I can say with hand on heart that I eat what I shoot. I havent time to go shooting nearly as often as I would like, so even after a good day I freeze a load and will have used most of it before I get another decent bag.

Either that or I am too rubbish to shoot more than I can eat! :D

I should add that this only applies to pigeons and rabbits. I dont eat corvids, rats, ferals or bits of broken clays!

Pete

I eat most things I shoot apart from fox, corvids and rats. I'm a keen fly fisherman and tie my own trout flies.

Useful apendages are the blue feathers fron Jays (Silver invicta), goose feathers for sawyers goose nymph, pheasant tail for the pheasant tail nymph, woodcock for the woodcock and orange, hares mask for the hares ear nymph, squirrel tail for nymph dubbing and dry fly tails. Moorhen, starling and mole ( never shot one but a friend did on a croquet lawn) can also be put to good use.

Deer hair is also used extensively by fly tiers. I own a lovely priest made out of antler.