CPSA CEO

Bigweed

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The CPSA was formed as a National Governing Body (NGB) to regulate clay competition - and its articles reflect this as one of its two primary functions - the second being to promote the sport.

The CPSA owns and operates the rule sets recognised by Sport England, and in its role of the regulator of recognised competition it functions reasonably well for those interested in that level.

What is very noticeable is that large numbers join the CPSA who consider they are not Competition level ( I'm not good enough for competition is a comment one often reads), but they still expect the CPSA to provide something for them.

There have been some attempts to address the leisure shooters needs, indeed Clubman membership level is one of them, but there is scope for a lot more to be done for the leisure shooter so that they do perceive they get value for money by being a member of the organisation.

While the CPSA would need to be careful not to dilute the quality of the Registered system, there must be considerable scope for some level of club league at a leisure level below the Graded Competitions presently organised for Full members.

It is time for change, and I think you will find that the Board is listening, so we may expect some new initiatives in coming months to address the lack of support for leisure shooters. Certainly, present board thinking has already found ways to provide more funding to regional levels and that cash flow should start in 2011, and with that funding regions will be able to look a new levels of support for members in their area.

Ideas are good, so lets see them aired.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes,

My interest is already Public.

The CPSA needs a new philosophy, and If I can do what I did for courses 2002-2007, for members grounds and membership, there could be a transformed organisation.

With the positive attitude of the current board, and the right man managing, the CPSA could finally meet its members' needs - and I'm totally committed to providing that if the board and members want me to.

JPY

No respect JPY, but I do not believe you have sufficient business experience to take this on, and I would be very disappointed in the CPSA if you were to win this role. If I am wrong, then perhaps you can let the forum know how many years you were running an organisation with a £1m+ turnover, with at least twelve full time staff.

The CEO needs to have "commercial competence" and also "well-rounded experience in sales and marketing, personnel, administration and finance".

This really is a role for a business professional, perhaps a principal/Director who has experienced all facets of a business, and ideally suited to someone with experience of a similar or greater number of staff (12). Secondary to the role is an interest in shooting, but foremost, it should be someone who will at least deploy the staff to drag the CPSA into the modern world, listen to the customers and adapt the company accordingly.

The CEO has a responsibility to ensure the smooth running of the company and should have the necessary experience to cease any further tribunal claims from ex-staff.

I personally think that some of the other names who have applied so far that I am aware of, are getting far too excited by the prospect of £65k a year, but I do hope that the CPSA appoint a candidate that offers value and experience for that level and has a CV worthy of the remuneration.

Ideally, there will be a former business leader who enjoys plenty of shooting in retirement and was used to earning above this figure, perhaps taking this task on as a retrement project and therefore offering the CPSA the benefit of his/her skills at a lower price than their value. I certainly hope so.

No respect JPY, but I do not believe you have sufficient business experience to take this on, and I would be very disappointed in the CPSA if you were to win this role. If I am wrong, then perhaps you can let the forum know how many years you were running an organisation with a £1m+ turnover, with at least twelve full time staff.

The CEO needs to have "commercial competence" and also "well-rounded experience in sales and marketing, personnel, administration and finance".

This really is a role for a business professional, perhaps a principal/Director who has experienced all facets of a business, and ideally suited to someone with experience of a similar or greater number of staff (12). Secondary to the role is an interest in shooting, but foremost, it should be someone who will at least deploy the staff to drag the CPSA into the modern world, listen to the customers and adapt the company accordingly.

The CEO has a responsibility to ensure the smooth running of the company and should have the necessary experience to cease any further tribunal claims from ex-staff.

I personally think that some of the other names who have applied so far that I am aware of, are getting far too excited by the prospect of £65k a year, but I do hope that the CPSA appoint a candidate that offers value and experience for that level and has a CV worthy of the remuneration.

Ideally, there will be a former business leader who enjoys plenty of shooting in retirement and was used to earning above this figure, perhaps taking this task on as a retrement project and therefore offering the CPSA the benefit of his/her skills at a lower price than their value. I certainly hope so.

This job should NOT be treated as a hobby or a project, its in a big enough mess as it is....

shaun

Troll methinx......

First post and not even a hello,

just someone knocking someone else for trying to change things.... ???

shaun

Not necessarily a Troll, but perhaps a "Hello, here's my tuppence worth" might be more appropriate as a first post.?

I wish JPY good luck with his application, but, as Shamone says, if any other prospective applicants are getting excited about a £65k package, then in my opinion they haven't had sufficient experience in Senior Management positions, as they would already be earning in excess of what is being offered.

Cat.

It can't be BD either as there wasn't a single mention of "lead is denser than steel ****" anywhere.

My guess is a disgruntled and banned member who has his own forum.

How's it going Jazzie?

Nah, can't be Jazzie :look:

She's got a busy site to run.

Surely she won't have time to post on here AND keep the word association game running? There's simply not enough hours in the day for both. :blink:

I'm sticking with BD...............or maybe it's that Smoker chap? :good:

Quote Shamone

The CPSA has 1/3rd of the staff my previous largest business has employed and only 10% of the turnover. I have developed three businesses from scratch and every one has been sold with staff levels at or more than CPSA, and T/O similar to or greater than CPSA. The current business started 2 1/2 yrs ago now has a T/O of £300k and 4 staff and expanding rapidly. ccc3 saw a 260% increase in the year to date using my marketing. I see CPSA scale as absolutely within my experience running back to 1980, the first year I did more than £1 million t/o.

My experience runs to Retail Goldsmithing; manufacturing jeweller, Bullion brokerage; Property development; Country Hotel and Country Club; Clay shooting Grounds (two); Marquee Hire - 40 marquees , AV hire; In house Catering 600 covers+; Event management for up to 2000 covers; Corporate Entertainment inc clayshooting; Retail and Impex Country Goods and RFD services. My fiscal turn round 1973 to date exceeds £50million and peak staff levels under my control at major events such as Richard Branson's Christmas Parties were in excess of 50 personnel. The unit within the CPSA I was responsible for saw a 400%+ increase in throughput in the 5 yrs I managed it. I enjoy a challenge, and the CPSA is entirely fixable with the right policies.

Edited by clayman

Quote Shamone

The CPSA has 1/3rd of the staff my previous largest business has employed and only 10% of the turnover. I have developed three businesses from scratch and every one has been sold with staff levels at or more than CPSA, and T/O similar to or greater than CPSA. The current business started 2 1/2 yrs ago now has a T/O of £300k and 4 staff and expanding rapidly. ccc3 saw a 260% increase in the year to date using my marketing. I see CPSA scale as absolutely within my experience running back to 1980, the first year I did more than £1 million t/o.

My experience runs to Retail Goldsmithing; manufacturing jeweller, Bullion brokerage; Property development; Country Hotel and Country Club; Clay shooting Grounds (two); Marquee Hire - 40 marquees , AV hire; In house Catering 600 covers+; Event management for up to 2000 covers; Corporate Entertainment inc clayshooting; Retail and Impex Country Goods and RFD services. My fiscal turn round 1973 to date exceeds £50million and peak staff levels under my control at major events such as Richard Branson's Christmas Parties were in excess of 50 personnel. The unit within the CPSA I was responsible for saw a 400%+ increase in throughput in the 5 yrs I managed it. I enjoy a challenge, and the CPSA is entirely fixable with the right policies.

Jerry,

All that is very commendable, but don't you think you are biting off more than you can chew taking on all the elite numpties who are the members of the cpsa? Have you got a very thick skin and can ignore the slating you will get at every angle from the Claysporters?

Nah, can't be Jazzie :lol:

She's got a busy site to run.

Surely she won't have time to post on here AND keep the word association game running? There's simply not enough hours in the day for both. :blink:

I'm sticking with BD...............or maybe it's that Smoker chap? :P

The style is certainly BD's, i.e. straight for the jugular, but somehow I don't think it's him. :lol:

It ain't "Jazzie" as you call him, I don't think he could give a fig about the CPSA anymore, he's "done a Mung" as they say. :good:

I've spoken to Smoker, it certainly ain't him, he talks a lot of sense but makes a point of never having a poke at others on public forums, he only deals in facts, a true Gentleman. :look:

Cat.

Jerry,

All that is very commendable, but don't you think you are biting off more than you can chew taking on all the elite numpties who are the members of the cpsa? Have you got a very thick skin and can ignore the slating you will get at every angle from the Claysporters?

That is the Challenge for whom-ever becomes CEO, and dont think for a moment I am not aware of the level of challenge - remember I worked there for 5 years..

There will always be dissenters to any policy. They key is identifying the best policies and systems to suit the majority of members and potential members.

Unfortunately, no-one is likely to make every-one happy.

Quote:

Dale Carnegie;-

Identify the problem - what actually needs fixing - talk to members / grounds / staff

Identify the possible solutions: - research and discussion with all concerned

Identify the best solution/s

Apply it / or them if a compromise is needed

Then take the flack from the opposer's!

Philosophy adapted from training course, Dale Carnegie Customer Relations training - a Dale Carnegie business training franchise operated at our hotel and country club ( Stanhill Court Hotel) from 1988-1992.

It is a sure pity that someone at the CPSA now hadn't been on one of those courses,

I read in Clay Shooter that there is a letter from a disabled shooter who says that he cannot shoot registered shoots as he cannot get his wheelchair into the cages at his local ground as they are too small.

He says that the CPSA cannot help him even though he is a member. Although I am not disabled I had a similar issue shooting a registered shoot at Caterham as the cage was not tall enough and had a bar across so I couldn't stand upright in the cage.

Again the CPSA said they couldn't help.

Just what is it that they can help with? If they cannot ensure that grounds comply to even the most basic of rules there isn't a lot of hope is there?

It is a sure pity that someone at the CPSA now hadn't been on one of those courses,

I read in Clay Shooter that there is a letter from a disabled shooter who says that he cannot shoot registered shoots as he cannot get his wheelchair into the cages at his local ground as they are too small.

He says that the CPSA cannot help him even though he is a member. Although I am not disabled I had a similar issue shooting a registered shoot at Caterham as the cage was not tall enough and had a bar across so I couldn't stand upright in the cage.

Just what is it that they can help with? If they cannot ensure that grounds comply to even the most basic of rules there isn't a lot of hope is there?

My goodness, whatever next, some real "Essex logic" here today, I suppose you'll soon be asking BASC to send inspectors to every driven day to ensure that nobody is using a semi auto..??

It's up to the grounds to provide properly sized safety cages, the CPSA publish the rules on sizes that grounds should adhere to, if they don't, then contact your local CPSA Committee rep who will have a word with the ground owner and get things put right. :look:

Cat.

My goodness, whatever next, some real "Essex logic" here today, I suppose you'll soon be asking BASC to send inspectors to every driven day to ensure that nobody is using a semi auto..??

It's up to the grounds to provide properly sized safety cages, the CPSA publish the rules on sizes that grounds should adhere to, if they don't, then contact your local CPSA Committee rep who will have a word with the ground owner and get things put right. :look:

Cat.

You really are as stupid as you make out aren't you?

Maybe you can tell me what part of the BASC rules say you cannot use a semi auto on a driven shoot?

So it is up to the grounds to supply safety cages? I agree with that but why do the CPSA bother with writing rules if they do not enforce them? The shooter in the Clay Shooter magazine has contacted the CPSA and has been told there is nothing they can do. I also told the South African guy when he phoned me up and I was told there is little they can do.

What is the point of them existing? Why do they make rules and then when someone doesn't abide by them say there is nothing they can do?

The South African guy is Bobby Watkins who is a membership recruitment officer - his role is to promote the CPSA at grounds and shows etc, and to recruit from enquiries and lapsed memebrs.

While he has general knowledge, he is not a technical officer. This is the role of the Regions' Safety or Registration official. That is a regional post, and if there is an issue with cage sizes at a CPSA REgistered Ground on a Registerd shoot, then the Regional Safety Officer would deal with it.

It should be noted, that disabled cage type and size only applies to Registered shoots. These are shoots were the operating ground agrees to comply with CPSA Registered requirements including cage type and size.

If the shoot / layout is not registered, or not being used for a Registered shoot, while the CPSA does recommend a cage design it cannot enforce use of any size or shape. The disabled shooter can report the matter to their Regions Safety Officer for investigation if the shoot is a CPSA Registered one, but beyond that cages are a ground's commercial decision and the shooter should address his/her concerns to the ground manager.

If a ground's layout does not comply with registered requirements, and this is correctly reported to the CPSA for action, the ground would be asked to amend their layouts for compliance before the next registered shoot. Failure to do so could result in de-registration of the layout or the ground.