Chewing

tenbears10

My mate has a 4 month old black lab and they are having trouble with it chewing stuff. Obvoiusly shoes are fair game for any young dog but today he chewed a hole in the middle of the carpet :lol:

I don't think it is a seperation thing because he mainly chews when other people are in the house, partly because he has a house crate which he is put in if on his own in the house.

Can anyone give me some ideas to pass on? My Spaniel used to chew but not to a great extent and he grew out of it so I'm running out of ideas to pass on to my mate.

Thanks in advance.

He is teething. Get him a couple of nyla bones that he can have around the house. They dont make a mess of carpets like real bones. Also get him a kong to chew on these are great as you can put them in the freezer to make them cold before giving to the pup...same as a baby's soother.

When he takes something he is not suppose to have call him to you and trade him for something he is allowed...this way he will not go and hide with things he isn't allowed.

Watch out for the little teeth laying around as I usually find them with my bear feet... :lol:

NTTF

Can anyone give me some ideas to pass on? Thanks in advance.

keep it outside, obvious sorry to say but true none the less,

even in her run my lab has chewed through wood 2x4 with no probs we now have ally angle bar all round to stop her but leave her hard wood lengths to bite on it seems to work

best of luck

I agree completely with NTTF, my springer who is now 10 months old has had nylabones and kongs and he has not chewed anything he shouldn't. (apart from slippers as my other half gave him an old one when he was younger so now all slippers are fair game)

He is outside in a run all day and hasn't even chewed that, I suppose there is still time.

Cheers

Martin

Thanks guys I have passed on your ideas.

Would you believe he doesn't like Kongs even filled with dog food. :lol:

The tips about trading something with him sound like good tactics NTTF. Otherwise it is all to easy to find that shoe you've been looknig for in pieces in a dark corner somewhere.

My lab turned her nose up at the Nyla-Bone stuff when she was a young chewer (saying that she's 19 months now and still tears things up if she's in the house on her own and not in the crate).

We lost company receipts and tax records, a leather sofa, 4 pairs of shoes, a mobile phone, a computer, amplifier, two speakers, two video remotes, a hat, £400 dress the missus had only worn once to name but a few.

Labs eat for England, or which ever other country you call home.

They DO grow out of it though, or so I am told.