advice

rupack

new to the game after a couple of outings this year.

looking to shoot clays, fessies and pigeons.

have a budget of £750 and wondering what is best value for money in a 12ga ?

just bought sporting gun and i see the franchi on the back cover- read a few articles on the web but would prefer "pro" advice. looks nice but how does it handle.

anything else i should consider, or should i only be looking at the beretta family?

cheers

Go to your local (trusted) gun dealer. Though most are very reputable. Ask ALL the questions, then ask some more. With that budget you can get something really nice. Where are you, would help to know and guys on here will point you to good dealer. Do you have any shooting friends. They will help to as we are all after the same ends.

RTR

thanks. in sw12 ,but head down to west sussex monthly.

dad gets his stuff from Rakers in northchapel. dunno how you rate them but i was impressed.

Is there a Clay shooting ground near you ?

If so most grounds sell guns Try LOADS!!!

Till you find one that works for you

Happy hunting

WB

dad gets his stuff from Rakers in northchapel. dunno how you rate them but i was impressed.

F A Andersons are in Sussex somewhere, they are pretty good.

A secondhand 'good' gun will be better than 'cheap' new gun if that helps...

My advice would be to hold on to your cash and try as many guns as you can get your hands on.

I have a Winchester Select Sporting which is a cracking clay gun which can be bought anywhere for the sort of money you have.

Essex Gun at Romford take some beating, good advice and freindly with it.

They have a S/H Winchester for £595

Cheers

MC

F A Andersons are in Sussex somewhere, they are pretty good.

A secondhand 'good' gun will be better than 'cheap' new gun if that helps...

Here Here!!

My thoughts too

WB

Make sure you get one that fits you.

You won't get much better advice than that, you can spend a lot of your budget on one that doesn't fit, or just miss lots of stuff trying to persist with an ill fitting gun.

If you know anyone who shoots already try and have a go with as many as possible to find one that 'feels' right. You could ask on here if anyone is near you?

Chichester Armoury is good. Cris Potter Country Sports in Tunbridge Wells are very helpful, and Saddlery and Gunroom at Biggin Hill.

Take your time choosing  :rolleyes:

i would never use chichister armoury again, they lied (when selling my lanber to me) about the condition of the forend, and when asked to replace the £20 part, they wanted the whole gun back to 're-tapp' it with a bigger thread (not a fix in my opinion).

they did offer to fix it but not how i wanted, so i ended up ordering a new part from 'potters' which was here within the week. However C armoury did sell me a shotgun after telling us specifically that there was nothing wrong with the forend iron (after he tightened a stripped screw thread infront of us).

the saddlery and gun room is a nice place, the people in there are helpful, and the extension my dad has had done to his mk70 is very very well done. however they are very expensive on guns. (new cz 452 17hmr £370!), their cartridge costs however are very reasonable.

Potters, andersons or country Way in west Mauling (spelling?) would be my top 3 shops. Country Way do some very reasonable prices of brownings/miroku's, but their rifles are a tad unrealistic (but thats not their area).

Andersons do very good deals on everything, scopes rifles, scatter guns. the service is top notch and the guys in there are very nice to chat to.

Edited by dunganick

Chichester Armoury is good. Cris Potter Country Sports in Tunbridge Wells are very helpful, and Saddlery and Gunroom at Biggin Hill.

Take your time choosing  :D

i would never use chichister armoury again, they lied (when selling my lanber to me) about the condition of the forend, and when asked to replace the £20 part, they wanted the whole gun back to 're-tapp' it with a bigger thread (not a fix in my opinion).

they did offer to fix it but not how i wanted, so i ended up ordering a new part from 'potters' which was here within the week. However C armoury did sell me a shotgun after telling us specifically that there was nothing wrong with the forend iron (after he tightened a stripped screw thread infront of us).

the saddlery and gun room is a nice place, the people in there are helpful, and the extension my dad has had done to his mk70 is very very well done. however they are very expensive on guns. (new cz 452 17hmr £370!), their cartridge costs however are very reasonable.

Potters, andersons or country Way in west Mauling (spelling?) would be my top 3 shops. Country Way do some very reasonable prices of brownings/miroku's, but their rifles are a tad unrealistic (but thats not their area).

Andersons do very good deals on everything, scopes rifles, scatter guns. the service is top notch and the guys in there are very nice to chat to.

"i would never use chichister armoury again, they lied"

Well, that's certainly not been my experience, although, last time I was there, someone was trying to lie to them about damage to an air rifle they'd bought.

I thought the gunsmith there really showed that he knew his stuff and quickly proved them wrong. So its not all a one-way street with gun dealing.

Still, different people have different experiences and even the best places can let themselves down occasionally.

I liked Chris Potters and found that they were both prepared to work for your custom and willing to do a deal.

Saddlery & Gunroom have a field out the back & if they think you are a serious buyer, sometimes let you try the gun :blink:

Take your time choosing  :D

"i would never use chichister armoury again, they lied"

Well, that's certainly not been my experience, although, last time I was there, someone was trying to lie to them about damage to an air rifle they'd bought.

I thought the gunsmith there really showed that he knew his stuff and quickly proved them wrong. So its not all a one-way street with gun dealing.

Still, different people have different experiences and even the best places can let themselves down occasionally.

I liked Chris Potters and found that they were both prepared to work for your custom and willing to do a deal.

Saddlery & Gunroom have a field out the back & if they think you are a serious buyer, sometimes let you try the gun :blink:

im not saying there is anything wrong with their new guns, just that with second hand guns you dont really have a leg to stand on.......except when you ask the person selling it to you "is the forend screw ok?" "yes its fine", same day shot 100 sporting, and the forend damn near fell off. it wasnt that the gun was not as described that bothered me, it was that the chap in the gunshop, who tightened the screw (which couldnt be tightened) in the shop, infront of us, and knew it was stripped (as it just turned and turned) and then told us it was fine. he then offered an unsatisfactory solution.

maybe i got unlucky.

as nidles says, even the big shops make mistakes sometimes.

Edited by dunganick