Non-toxic shot

Guest GeorgeH

Guest georgehare

Going out tomorrow for a morning goose flight, then walk some ditches, then an evening duck flight....

was wondering, as i have only got some steel no.5 or 6 shot cartridges for duck will these be any good for the geese....

dads got some no.3 steel but they are 3inch carts and both my guns are only 2&3/4.... i might just not bother with the non toxic and use no.6 lead but would this be enough for geese ??

thanks GH

Going out tomorrow for a morning goose flight, then walk some ditches, then an evening duck flight....

was wondering, as i have only got some steel no.5 or 6 shot cartridges for duck will these be any good for the geese....

dads got some no.3 steel but they are 3inch carts and both my guns are only 2&3/4.... i might just not bother with the non toxic and use no.6 lead but would this be enough for geese ??

thanks GH

would it not be illegal :rolleyes:

i havent a clue, just woundering

You can still use lead for ducks and geese inland in Scotland.

No.5 & 6 are not big enough for duck,you need to go up 2 sizes.So if you used to use lead 6`s then you should use 4`s in steel(same for 5`s,go up to 3`s)

So you are going to have to change your plans or get some bigger shot.Personally I would use bismuth/TM as they are better and you don`t need to worry about choke size either.

Yeh i know its illegal but i dont see what harm i could do as ill be in a ditch not acroos open water.... also who's gona know as long as ive got a coupple of non toxics in my pocket...

all of us on here ?

just like a poacher telling the gamekeeper he had some of his pheasants last night , not the done thing? :rolleyes:

QUOTE (browningstalker10g @ Jan 20 2006, 07:40 PM)

its a balnket ban on lead shot in the uk on wildfowl of any sort, even if your no were near water

Not strictly true you can shoot wild foul in scotland with lead but just not over a water course.

Dave

sorry dave i ment by uk, just the mainland i wasnt including scotland with that statement, bad use of the term uk, as u say aslong as you are shooting awayfrom the water in scotland u can use lead its down to your judgemnt, a rule that makes sence, unlike a total blanket ban like england

Suppose you ***** a bird and it lands on private property and they take it to the vet & he finds lead in it?

Suppose some anti calls Old Bill and he digs a few shot out of some that you've shot and has them tested?

We all get tarred with the same brush when these things come out.

Better to buy the right stuff in the right sizes and do right by the rest of us.

If you do get caught, you could lose your shooting permission and possibly your licence. Is it worth it?