is it legal

browningstalker10g

Eversince my dad (who is a armed respoce officer in the police force) showed me his police issue ruger mini 14 in the days when i was a tad younger and thiner and b4 it was replaced by the h&k mp5 and the sig 552 commando, but that day i decide one day i wanted one, but after trawling the web to find a uk gun shop that might sell one i fear it may not be legal in the uk, its .223 calibre so i cant see why not, and is semi auto not full auto, but several websites mention ''before its ban'' making me thing its no longer legal? having been busy at work i havent been able to pop in to the local gun shop and have a chat about it so does anyone know the state of play, can i but 1?? also does anyone know shops that stock the ar-15??

Under section 5 of the Firearms Act.......

A person commits an offence if, without the authority of the secretary of state, he has in his possession, or he purchases/aquires or manufactures/sells/transfers A prohibited weapon.

A prohibited weapon is:

Any firearm by design or adapted to fire two or more missiles successively without repeated pressure on the trigger.

Any pump action or self loading rifled gun (except one which is chambered for .22 rim-fire cartridges).

Any smooth bore revolver (except one which is chambered for 9mm rim-fire cartridges or a muzzle loading gun).

Any self loading or pump action smooth bore gun which is not an air weapon or chambered for .22 rim-fire cartridges and either 1) has a barrel less than 24" in length, or an air weapon or 2) is less than 40" in overall length.

Any firearm which has either a barrel less than 30cm or less than 60cm overall length other than an air weapon, a muzzle loading gun or a firearm designed as a signalling device.

Looks like you are out of luck as you will find it very difficult to obtain a licence for a section 5 firearm. :D

so i should be able to get a single shot variety so its all good, to be honest the firearms licence in the uk is daft, i wish we had a more american approach to what is legal, i guess we owe this all to that tiny majority of loose cannons who like shooting people beacuse there dad propably interfeared with them as a child (wow harsh)

i think that you could own one if you have a section 1 firearms certificate, this allows the ownership of automatic weapons but you must get it from this on person who is unlikely to give it to you. you need a good reason such as the running of the security companies that work out in places such as iraq and afghanistan. hope it helps

flash

fox's arent good enuff reason , ah what a shame lol, i dont mind having a single shot, ive got my semi auto shotguns if i fancy rapid fire, have you noticed that we (as in the shooting community) suffer at the actions of the small minority of crazies and law breakers, we get tared with the same brush

Browning stalker, the ruger model mini 14 and mini 30 are made in straight pull for the UK market, imported by Viking arms and available through most dealers, indeed there is one on guntrader at the moment for around £600 which is steep, they can be got for around £500-550 new from a dealer :devil:

They look well sexy, kit it up like the ones in the A-team, I am at the moment weighing up whever to go for one of them or a AR15 straight pull :devil:

Decisions decisions.

Fox should be a good enough reason, but you might want to check the barrel twist is suitable for your expanding weights you want to use on foxes.

As Gem say's it is a section 5 weapon.

To get a section 5 FAC is a dealer only ticket and even then you would need to jump thro' bl**dy high hoops to get it. The issue after that would be getting anywhere certified to use it. MOD ranges only and would cost an arm an appendage to use. Have a shooting colleague who has that ticket (and has his own cert'd range for full auto).

MOD ranges (now run by US owned Co. Landmark) have seen prices rocket - for normal rifle use. Expect them to insiste on a dedicated range if you had the permission to own, and use.

Basically no you can't have one!

Used an MP5 full auto in Feb last year. Cushty! Wife shot better than me though.

Oh, I remember the days when even a full-auto ticket was poss in this country. 197*...............

And around here I would not want to be seen roaming field with any sort of military 'assault' rifle. It could get awkward :devil: :devil:

Edited by marlin.45