20 bore question

dead-eye-dick

I know this is an old topic, but it's one I have enjoyed exploring for myself.  I have always preferred the feel of a 20 to a 12.  Of coarse, I also asked myself what I would be giving up if I made the switch, more specifically on larger birds such as fowl.  A 2 3/4" shell loaded w/ 7/8oz of 7 1/2's is all I have ever needed to pluck pigeons out of the air to 30 yards (sorry, I don't do conversions :) ).  I have never tried this load with # 6 shot, only because I haven't found the need to deliver any more punch or shoot at a greater distance.  I should mention I shoot an improved and modified choke.  I believe the true test of the 20's ability was shooting ducks.  We are mandated to shoot steel at waterfowl here in the states.  Steel is lighter than lead so anything accomplished with it can be considered somewhat less than what can be expected from shooting the same load of lead.  Your Wood Pigeon seems to be comparable to our teal.  20 ga. steel in a 2 3/4" load of 4 shot exits the barrel at an astonishing speed of 1400-1500 fps.  This is significantly faster than 12 ga., which is usually about 1300 fps.  Clean kills are a norm for large and small ducks out to 30 yards.  At 35 yards birds will hit the water but clean kills are not the norm.  To bring the 20's ballistics (same shot size and number shooting faster) above a 12 gauge shooting 2 3/4" shells all one needs to do is shoot a 3" shell.  A 20ga. shooting a 3" shell can do anything a 12 ga. can muster shooting identical shot.  Shoot a 3" shell out of the 20 ga. using #2 shot and expect clean kills within 40 yards.  I have even killed Giant Canada Geese (weighing in at 12-14 lbs. and having a 6 foot wing span) with both 2 3/4 and 3" shells from a 20.  In short, if you’re thinking about shooting a 20 but are afraid of losing something ballistically-don't.  I shoot a 20 for most all game and don't plan on ever going back to a 12.  Our loads may differ from yours.  I also don't compare a 3" 12 ga. shell to a 20 because I have never found the desire to shoot at birds over 40 yards.  In my opinion there a few experienced shooters, let alone good shooters, who can consistently produce clean kills beyond the 40 yard marker. The cost is crippled and lost birds, not worth the price to me.