must see's in the usa

kdubya

How not to do inter-state travel in America: BY TRAIN!!!!

Skip Amtrak and fly. America is too big to waste time on "death-trak" trains. Traveling the whole of the USA by Train or bus is not an experience to seek.

You're better off flying. The United States is three thousand x two thousand miles. Huge distances to cover by a train.

See if any airline offers a "see the USA deal".

Just my opinion - and you're entitled to it.

PS: I'm a Yank!!!

the whole idea is to SEE the country I do not want to do the fly bit actually want to use the rail network as PART of the trip I have a part finished itinerary? Amtrak are making me up a couple of schedule's which give one or two day sometimes three day breaks (depends on frequency of trains try that with rail networks here) and remember although I am planning around 40 days time is not a problem I will have an open return flight from new york, and a 24 hour leg on Amtrak using a sleeping car is not a problem most rail travel is in the 12 to 14 jour range anyway and its the the way I WANT to do it some nice idea's so far ( and some not so good I will be giving las Vegas a miss) I intend to do new York ,Washington, Chicago, Seattle, then Eugene to meet up with wifes brother, then all the tourist stuff on the west coast plus grand canyon etc, its just what to do to return to new York fancy doing a bit of seeing the towns that inspired my fantasy as a kid with cowboy films IE el passo, Kansas, etc or even a trip up to area 51 and or the atomic test sites , oh and thanks for the eppleton hall idea will give that serious consideration :good:

KW

Chicago - the best of the big American cities I've been to - visit Sear's Tower, the cheesecake factory at the bottom of Hancock tower, and a restaurant called '****'s Last Resort' for an unconventional meal out.

San Diego - much nicer than LA (which is a dive), some excellent scenery within a day's drive of there. Tropical/med climate on the coast (be sure to see a Pacific sunset from Corando beach, you may see the 'green flash' if you're familiar with pirates of the Caribbean and also visit La Jolla), a drive through the up San Andreas mountains takes you through impressive pine forests (up there visit a small town called Julian - quaint old gold rush town with the best apple pies I've ever had :) ). Down the other side of the mountains into the Mojave desert. Out there visit Palm Springs. If you want to see a bit of contrast (i.e. how the USA is a true land of the haves and have nots), go to the Salton Sea - you'll have to research it but you'll be shocked that such a place exists in modern America). Of the areas I've visited - San Diego and the surrounding area has the most to see. Not to mention all the bronzed, blonde, fake (*)(*)'ed babes called 'Candy' rollerskating around by the beach. :good:

Then 6hr drive to Las Vegas.

Also, check out New England - beautiful, especially in the 'Fall'. Connecticut/ Massachusetts.

I can't understand why there is such an anti American attitude in this country - yes the yanks are nasal and fat but they're actually really friendly. Plus there is so much to see over there you could fill a lifetime exploring.

Just come back from NY and Boston this week - 2 cities with very different vibes. Remember with NY that Manhattan is only a tiny, tiny part of it - Go across the GW and you are in a whole world of possibilities. Foodwise, ME is kinda right, but what they do, they do well. Hire a car when you get to Boston - You can get round tons of Maine and New Hampshire in a day (I greatly recommend Portsmouth in New Hampshire).

Vegas - Take it or leave it - I've been twice and its definitely an experience - You will see Americans drinking and smoking and not complaining for a change 'cos "Hey man, this is Vegas"!!

Have only done Amtrak on the east coast Acela service and it is by no means rapid, but the views are good and the buffet car is a bit of a chuckle (although somewhat limited on non repeating, indigestion causing cuisine). It does also save messing about constantly in and out of airports, checking in, sorting out luggage

and all the rest of the crapolla that goes with flying.

Have fun!!

#

ps to Laird Lugton - Red Sox suck - Yankees rule!! Got rings???

Edited by Fatcatsplat

Marthas vinyard is a nice place, the twin cites are also full of tall blondes (sweedish settlers).the smithsonian museum is amazing. Georgetown in dc is the nicest place I've been in america,and dc itself is very inspiring. Denver is massive and also very nice. Portland oregon on a little place down where the filmed the goonies,short circut,kindergarton cop,is very very nice. I did not like la or frisco, but seattle is very nice almost canadian in its attitude. They loves the english out there. There's masses to see and do. Great food,beer aint as bad as auzzie beer (which were a suprise) but ule find no cider or real ales,not like we get. Good luck.