Springer tips

old rooster

OK so we took the plunge and got the Springer. Nice little bitch pup now 8 weeks old. Anyone know of a good book/s to get regarding training ?.

It came part trained: it can **** and pee all over the house, rip up newspapers and letters (will save buying a shredder I guess) and is generally very active.

Mt late Father always had springers and from memory I can expect: digging up the garden, tunnelling under the fence, removing wallpaper from behind the sofa, more general biting and ripping as the second teeth take hold et. etc.

Love the little sod to bits though :devil::devil:

post-13-1138020609.jpg

Old rooster,

What a gorgeous looking pup. For what my opinion is worth I was advised to spend plenty of time with my springer pup and become his mate. I also have given him plenty of chewtoys and rawhide chews and to date (10months) he has not chewed a single thing he shouldn't have.

I have got several books but I think there are two good ones. One is Gundogs, field trials and training by P R Moxon and the other is The working Springer Spaniel by Keith Ellandson.

Good luck with her and don't believe the CR*P about a Lab is born half trained and a Spaniel dies half trained, my springer knows a lot more than I have taught him.

Cheers

Martin

Thanks guys, we've been busy on the bonding bit and I've got quite a way towards teaching her to bite the throat of 'er indoors.

Odd little things ain't they; went in to the smallest room for a big job the other day, pup follows me in so I carry on as normal only to find that once I'm seated she climbs into my trolleys which are around my ankles and falls asleep !!. Thought it was a coincidence but tried it again over the next couple of days and it did just the same.

Will get a piccy if possible next time cos you probably ain't going to believe it. :blink: :blink:

Thanks guys, we've been busy on the bonding bit and I've got quite a way towards teaching her to bite the throat of 'er indoors.

Odd little things ain't they; went in to the smallest room for a big job the other day, pup follows me in so I carry on as normal only to find that once I'm seated she climbs into my trolleys which are around my ankles and falls asleep !!. Thought it was a coincidence but tried it again over the next couple of days and it did just the same.

Will get a piccy if possible next time cos you probably ain't going to believe it. :thumbs: :(

Please post a pic of that Old Rooster but only the pup, OK?

LB

Well the books have turned up but the little sod won't even read the preface !!!

Can't take it for a run yet as still waiting to have the jabs, loves to charge around the garden at full pelt though.

Will put a new pic on soon, its growing like topsy at the moment !

New piccy, "yearning for the great outdoors"

post-13-1139222219.jpg

Edited by old rooster

Flippn eck he's grown a bit in 2 weeks :D

She is doin pretty well but we are still strugglin with the "no dogs upstairs" rule. Do they send the brain later ?

She is called Bess after my late Fathers first Springer. If she turns out half as good a worker I'll be more than happy !!!

post-13-1139300941.jpg

Edited by old rooster

OR,

She's a springer, the brain is fitted but only has intermittant connections to the rest of the body, and then only with mixed signals..... :look: :look:

Had one years ago and they are just great to watch when working proprerly. Have had Labs for the last 2 as they are so much eaiser :oops:

I'm looking forward to the challenge.....or at least that is what it says in the books :*) :D :look:

i have a springer spaniel called cara shes now 4 years old she is the best gun dog i ever had she will stay in a pigeon hide all day until you tell her to go fetch my friends tell me never to get another one as this dog is a one off as they laugh and make all the springer cant spaniel sit down for more than 2 secs at a time jokes

i put her good manners down to the better half as she took her to some dog training classes from the age of 11 weeks old and gave her the basic sit and stay stuff cheers kirky

Edited by kirky640

i have a springer spaniel called cara shes now 4 years old she is the best gun dog i ever had she will stay in a pigeon hide all day until you tell her to go fetch my friends tell me never to get another one as this dog is a one off as they laugh and make all the springer cant spaniel sit down for more than 2 secs at a time jokes

i put her good manners down to the better half as she took her to some dog training classes from the age of 11 weeks old and gave her the basic sit and stay stuff cheers kirky

Respect Kirky !!!!! I'll be well chuffed if mine will sit in the hide as well as shift a few long tailed rabbits when we are doing a bit of walking up !!!.

Hope the dogs aren't prone to being alarmed by snoring ?, it's about all I've been doing in the pigeon hide of late.

Anyone wanting a hand with the pigeon shooting don't be afraid to ask, always happy to have a wander from home for a bit of sport.

Roll on the drilling season, had enough of rape shooting.