dum dum bullet

flash

I'd always thought that dum-dums were normal bullets that had the front filed flat and then a cross cut in the top, leading to a cross shaped expansion when they hit something.

Of course, such things are illegal (in wartime) under the Geneva convention...

Wookie

The 'dum-dum' was a British military bullet developed for use in India - at the Dum-Dum Arsenal - on the North West Frontier in the late 1890s.

The dum-dum comprised a jacketed .303 bullet with the jacket nose open to expose its lead core. The aim was to improve the bullet's effectiveness by increasing its expansion upon impact.

The phrase 'dum-dum' was later taken to include any soft-nosed or hollow pointed bullet. The Hague Convention of 1899 outlawed the use of dum-dum bullets during warfare. :devil:

G.M.

Gemini is on the money. Aparently they were having problems keeping the locals down when they hit them somthing to do with the fact they tended to be thin and the jacketed rounds were going straight threw without imparting a sufficiant amount of energy so they went for the DUM DUM manufactured projectiles that would expand on impact and inflict more damage.

Dave

Gemini and Devilishdave are spot on. As though they needed my seal of confidence! :blink:

I know this because I have digital telly and there was a thing on UK TV History the other week.

The British .303 wasn't "dropping" the locals as easily as they'd hoped so they hatched this fiendish idea about doctoring the bullets. But they were outlawed not long after as Dave said.

Modern equivalent would be expanding ammo (soft points) for deer or ballistic tips (fragmenting) for fox.

Heres a peice I found on the net:

The 'dum-dum' was a British military bullet developed for use in India - at the Dum-Dum Arsenal - on the North West Frontier in the late 1890s.

The dum-dum comprised a jacketed .303 bullet with the jacket nose open to expose its lead core. The aim was to improve the bullet's effectiveness by increasing its expansion upon impact.

The phrase 'dum-dum' was later taken to include any soft-nosed or hollow pointed bullet. The Hague Convention of 1899 outlawed the use of dum-dum bullets during warfare.

During the First World War the Belgian government faced German charges of having used dum-dum bullets in battle. Kaiser Wilhelm II wrote a telegram to U.S. President Woodrow Wilson on 7 September 1914 protesting such use; the Belgians strongly denied the Kaiser's charges.

"I also saw a program on the rifle and it's history in warfare a while ago and i think the convension ruling only covered the use of "Dum-Dum" bullit's against civilised peoples, thus meaning the good old british empire could still use them against any nation that didn't have rifles off their own"

I think you'll find your wrong. Everbody knows that the true test of Civilisation is the abiity to play Cricket. Failing that, being able to explain the offside rule.

Lets face it, most countries have guns, but how many have Cricket Pitches? :lol::lol:

"I also saw a program on the rifle and it's history in warfare a while ago and i think the convension ruling only covered the use of "Dum-Dum" bullit's against civilised peoples, thus meaning the good old british empire could still use them against any nation that didn't have rifles off their own"

This reminds me of the "Puckle gun", which was a tripod-mounted flintlock revolving gun invented in 1718.

The gun had 2 types of ammo, round for christian foes, and square for "heathens"

Ouch!

Pete

This reminds me of the "Puckle gun", which was a tripod-mounted flintlock revolving gun invented in 1718.

The gun had 2 types of ammo, round for christian foes, and square for "heathens"

Ouch!

Pete

Love to see the ballistics on those "Square" rounds! :devil: