Black Magic

Pykie

Well I said I was out after the corvids yesterday, and what a day! We looked out another permission first, but apart from the odd small bunch of woodies in the trees nothing to stir the blood so we came back to a farm nearer to home where the crows and rooks were on a maize fields that had just been cut. As we drove in, several took off and we set up, dad in the maize field and me on the other side of the farm, set up on grass with my back to another harvested field that wasnt ours to shoot on. With a dozen flock decoys out, and a single floater, I was soon in action, downing the first Carrion Crow in with a single shot. I was using the Webley semi auto, fed with Modena 7 cartridges. After about ten crows bit the dust, a magpie came over, and at first I thought it was a swallow but last minute realised exactly what it was. Three shots later it crumpled 40 yards out stone dead and I added it to my decoys, pulling in another two magpies during the day, both killed single shot. Dad was in action too, obviously having a steady stream of birds as i was. In total, I had five left and rights, the most memorable being two jackdaws that i "smoked" about 5 yards away as they came in! I also had two with one shot which I was very pleased with. A woody dropped to a single shot, then a quick reload and I had a long left and right at pigeons too!! With another single joining them soon after. In total, by 5 o'clock we had 104 corvids, 8 wood pigeons and 3 magpies :good: a fantastic day!!

post-11726-1286112030.jpg