bullet size ????

camokid

You wont go wrong with any of the bigger calibres. I don't think .243 is the best choice but that is only from shooting smaller species with it and seeing how tiny that little bullet is! The 6.5x55 is a lovely calibre and I think it's more than capable of taking Reds, in fact I've watched it first hand do a reasonable job of Devon Stags. My 6.5 also did great for Roe and never made too much of a mess of them.

All the calibres up and above 6.5 are suitable for big Deer but be wary of their velocity and choose your bullet wisely. I personally think slow is better, so 6.5x55, ,260, 7x57 or .308 are nice. They all throw good weight without going too OTT on speed. .270 is a monster - I've only shot one a few times but it's not for me. I have no doubt it will do the job, but perhaps it will do too good a job on the smaller species?

It's not so much the size of the bullet that causes the damage, rather its construction and velocity.

I opted for the 6.5x55 having looked at and tried different caliber as its a nice smooth round and will do from 85 to 156+ grain bullets if you reload so it works as an all in one centrefire for me (fox and deer) and it certainly does drop reds to the shots, I can vouch for that. Having said that, .270 and .308 will do the job fine as will 7x57, .25-06 and .243 its personal choice.

George

.243 is man enough for red stags, end of story. It is not "a bit marginal", it is more than up to the job - I have one and I have shot stags with it. Friends have shot many more stags than me with the same calibre.

However, as you already have a .223 my choice would be .270 :good:

I was in the same position as you recently. and after looking all calibers up i chose .243. i mainly shoot fox and roe so its ideal. im confident in my abilities to drop a red with it aswel. low recoil is a bonus assisiting long range accuracy. but remember diversity is the spice of life, and there is nothing wrong with being different thats my only regret with .243 eveyone has one! :good:

.270 is a monster - I've only shot one a few times but it's not for me. I have no doubt it will do the job, but perhaps it will do too good a job on the smaller species?

If you roll your own at min loads they're a different animal. I've not long had mine and 130g sp's at min loads so around 2700fps are not too punchy at all. Stoke em up to max load and it's a different story though :good:

there are more deer of every uk species shot each year with the 243 than any other calibre, with a properly constructed bullet and correct shot placement it will kill them all, the idea is to get close to the deer and humanely kill it not snipe at them from the next hill, in northern ireland from (i think) mid 70's to mid 90's 22cf was all that was allowed and im sure thousands of red and sika were shot quite satisfactorily, meat damage shouldnt really be a consideration, humanely killed is all you should be worrying about, just eat round the hole

mikee

If you roll your own at min loads they're a different animal. I've not long had mine and 130g sp's at min loads so around 2700fps are not too punchy at all. Stoke em up to max load and it's a different story though :blush:

:yes: and get a heavy barrelled rifle and a decent mod. Mate has a custom built .270 and shoots homeloaded rounds, 90gn for fox and roe and 130gn for reds. The recoil is not noticably worse than my .243.

Ultimately, if you put the bullet in the right place, they all do the job on all UK deer species. I like 308 as it's easy to load, bullet choice is massive. 243 is often 1:10 twist which can be a bit iffy on 100gr bullets - just easier with a 308 for me, massive choice of deer bullets.

Meat damage is not excessive with most bullets, and cost is no higher than 243/6.5/270. It's personal preference, there's no right or wrong answer.