can i use steelshot?

browningstalker10g

ok i may be wrong it say hevi-shot is denser than steel, so what is it exsactly?

Hevishot is an alloy of Tungsten, Nickel and Iron composed approximately 50%, 35% & 15% respectively.

Hevishot density is 12g/cc compaired to lead at 11.4g/cc and steel at 7.8g/cc.

Cheers,

Mark.

ok i may be wrong it say hevi-shot is denser than steel, so what is it exsactly?

Hevishot is an alloy of Tungsten, Nickel and Iron composed approximately 50%, 35% & 15% respectively.

Hevishot density is 12g/cc compaired to lead at 11.4g/cc and steel at 7.8g/cc.

Cheers,

Mark.

As always Mark, sound advise.

One of the mag’s ran a feature a month or so back giving penetration figures for all types of non toxic shot, and heavy came out of it very well, as Mark has pointed out due to its density, I know this sheds no light on if your gun can fire it but as you seem to have a problem telling the difference between shot types your best bet is to take the gun to your local gunsmith for advise just to be sure. You can’t be too careful and safety is paramount. There is little compression characteristics of steel shoot when compared to say lead hence the high pressure build up and the need for open chokes.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hi-jack the thread but...

I have a gun chamberd for 3" which does NOT have the 'steel shot' marking on the barrel.

As bismouth/Tungsten-matrix is not as hard as steel, do you think I'll be ok putting 20 or so shots per year through it if I stick to open chokes...? :(

Edited by dead-eye-dick

With the gun chambered for 3" you should be able to use the tungsten matrix shot OK. This is with the provisio that the cartridge you are using is rated at more than the barrels are proofed for. Ie the barrel proof mark will have the rating in Bar / KG and the cart box should state the max pressure reqd. I have a old(ish) 1980's 3" o/u that I use(d) for everything other than steel. I now have a berreta Xtreama 3.5" with steel proof so no probs now

Trev

I almost put a deposti down on a Berreta Extrema 3.5"

Do you reccomend this gun? I want it do the job of fox at close/ish range using big carts. Also should I ever get into hunting large birds, this would be a usefull tool.

Edited by Hunter

A berretta Extrema is a fantastic gun, They haven't loaded a 12B cartridge that you cannot fire through it.

I personally would not use steel through a gun that is not specifically marked as OK (Fleur de Lys).

Bismuth is fine as it is designed for use in older guns which are not steel proofed. If all else fails read the side of the cartridge box.

I have never used Tungsten Matrix due to cost but have heard that it performs well. Steel and Bismuth are great up to about 30yds.

Hevi-Shot is excellent