Tough day at the woodcock 08

woodcock1

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH was tryn to get away from women being pests yap yap yap nag nag yapnagyack my goodness me nothing better to do on a cold nov night get a life and enjoy your sport some people just dont know when to shut there gubbs :huh: :blink:

Why come on the Forum then...?Doh!

This debate is starting to get interesting and I can sense opinion starting to swing my way :lol:

You are entitled to your opinion Dr D.

As I am mine. I dont consider myself to be an Idiot either thank you.

Several of the Duck species you mention on your post are showing alarming decline also, Particularly Mallard.

Without a doubt some will be removed from the General list in the years to come if the decline isnt halted and Woodcock, although numerous in some areas are reasoned to be in decline overall in GB and Europe. The results of the next few years surveys will reveal if this indeed the case.

Thats not rubbish its a fact.

I dont shoot Woodcock because I cant see any "sport" in the point of killing something so harmless just for the sake of a couple of mouthfulls. If others want to carry on Ive no problem with that at all.

The head in the sand attitude of some of the mercenaries who post on this forum is potentially more damaging than any idiotic post I might make.

While we are on the subject, I dont like displayed bags akin to the one in the picture I find it rather distasteful, a very Victorian trophy hunters attitude, and totally unnecessary. But thats just my Opinion of course. Nothing personal against the poster but he could just as easily posted a picture of one or two birds and referred to the other 67 in the freezer.

I think many on the Forum also underestimate the clout which the RSPB, BTO and WWT have with Defra which is substantially more than the Farmers Unions, Basc & the Game Conservancy Trust.

It was information on Population decline by these organisations which was instrumental in having the House Sparrow and The Starling removed from the general list otherwise every person in the country with an Air rifle would be still shooting them. (sadly many still are)

Who amongst us having witnessed the sheer volume of flocks of these birds in the 60,s & 70,s ever thought they would be removed from the list? (Be Honest!)

"Personally I like to see them alive if only as a just reward for the gruelling migration journey non resident birds make each year.

I just cant see the point in killing such a wonderful bird in the name of sport."

Now, fisherman mike this was your original rationale for not shooting woodcock. I quote you verbatim. Seems you just don't like shooting them. But now you tell me it is actually because their numbers are declining. So, is it migrating birds or declining numbers that puts you off? As a point of interest what birds not subject to a 'gruelling migration' or in supposed 'decline' do you think it is ok to hunt?

Edited by Dr D

Conservation Status: AMBER because Recent Non-breeding Population Decline, ... BTO Research Report 407, BTO, Thetford (http://www.bto.org/birdfacts) ...

Reading it full and only for england there status up till 2009 is the same as it has been for a number of years .

Yes there is a non-breeding decline but looking back this has happend before so at the moment there seems very little to worry about :good:

Thanks for the link :yes: