Most useful piece of kit

Mightymariner

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'd go with a few floaters, and a half dozen flock coated shells and a stealth net, 250 shells oh and the gun.

f3

If you dont mind lugging everything about all of the above. I went the other day after a call from a local farmer saying pigeons were eating all his rape. It was 2 days later when I could make it. Got out my big massive rucksack. cammos on. packed pigeon magnet, camo net and poles, 12 shell decoys, 6 full bodied, 2 crow, 4 frozen pigeons, fold up seat, large battery for pigeon magnet, 200 shells, flask sarnies and a small packet of baby wipes (toilet to clean blood from hands etc. got set up just b4 first light and by 12 i had only got 2 pigeons. I know they had been a lot feeding there as they were pigeon poo all over. I left the hide and everything other than carts down there for the following day and still rubbish. just goes to show lads it doesnt matter what you take if they are not there you will not get them. only thing Icould put it down to was the phesant shooting off in the distance must have disturbed there flight lines.

happy shooting

what is the most useful/best piece of decoying equipment you use (the piece you would take on Desert Island Discs!) in pursuit of a successful day's decoying.

The birds haven't changed a lot since your last venture in to pigeon shooting.

IMHO there is one essential, never to be with out bit of kit and that's a good seat, followed by the gun. Then a couple of decoys. Luxury items are a net & lots more decoys and a couple of floaters. Extreme luxury items magnet, flask of coffee, sandwiches, cooler box with a couple of cans of coke and a plastic bag for the dead pigeons and my 4x4 to get my kit to the hide location.

John

• 2 weeks later...

you will need a carry all bag what goes on your back.also the decoys. i find the stealth ghost camo net great also the adjustable hide poles with foot plate. i also found that the tripod seats sink into the soft soil so i now use a backpack seat they are great and dont sink in the soil also packing a toilet roll is good advice. happy shooting.

I have been shooting pigeons since adam was a lad it`s still the same mate, one good day in ten. If you see em get at them right under the flight line, ho I got some real tree cammo clothes plus hat` feel a bit of a townie in it but boy is it good wish I had got it years ago. I mad a whirly gig now known as a magnet 20 years ago I got the idea from France, until others got them no one could get near me for number of shot bird, they are not so brill today but worth getting one, make sure you get a light one you sound like me getting older. :yes:

a bucket seat with spinning lid, you can put a flask & a couple of boxes of cartrige in it as well

Is that all :huh:

I keep 24 silosocks, 2 hyperflaps, and any delicate electricals such as speed controllers ect....

Sorry, just wanted to point out they do fit a fair amount of kit in them, I use the Cabellas one

I have been shooting pigeons since adam was a lad it`s still the same mate, one good day in ten. If you see em get at them right under the flight line, ho I got some real tree cammo clothes plus hat` feel a bit of a townie in it but boy is it good wish I had got it years ago. I mad a whirly gig now known as a magnet 20 years ago I got the idea from France, until others got them no one could get near me for number of shot bird, they are not so brill today but worth getting one, make sure you get a light one you sound like me getting older. :yes:

Nice one! Not that old, but hate carrying loads of gear long distances. Where I shoot, access isn't great so I do a fair amount of walking, not that I mind. Just pondering a magnet.

I use a black plastic fishing box . Cheap enough to buy , carry all my tackle in that doubles as a seat aswell.

About a dozen deeks , cartridges ,flask ect.

I also use a fishing stalkers bag for gun ,floter poles ,loft poles, hide poles .

Just the basics , and away you go