second barrel not firing

TX Sniper

the old man has just rang me and said that the second barrel did not fire on my less than 3 weeks old beretta sp 20g. a friend of mine had a similer problem with his when it was new, is it st that the recoil berell selector thingy is new and needs wearing in or is it something more serious. i used it last sat and it was fine so iam a bit worried. i did fit a slightly longer but pad to it last sat, could that be the problem. any help appreciated.

cheers jim

Hi mate, I've had this problem on two of my guns in the past 6 months. One of them the firing pin had broken- old s/s. The other one which was a beretta SP albeit in 12 bore, the problem was down to the switch between barrels- as it's only a single trigger what was wrong is that you had to completely release your finger from the trigger and then pull again, they were able to fix this, I bought 2nd hand from Greenfields who sorted it out no problems and knew what it was instantly.

TX the pad could be the key, maybe

The second barrel relies on the recoil, I have never heard of it before but just maybe it has made enough differnec for it to not fire - sounds unlikely but you never know.

Also..

My sons 20bore has had similar problem and turned out to be him not releasing the trigger after the first shot all the time, he is a compleet novice so that isn't unheard of. I don't how experienced your dad is so I can't comment on that :sly:

I have had a couple of new Beretta's, and apart from being a bit stiff they didn't need any shooting in, so if it persists get it back to them, I would ring them anyway so they have a log of the problem in case you need to take it back.

my dad has been shooting for about 20 years but saying that he may not be releasing the trigger. he is a different build t me and maybe the way he mounts the gun as it is longer doesnt alow the recoil to hit the adjuster properly. i will ring him later and see if it has happened again.

cheers jim

I have a 20g Silver Pigeon so here goes with things to try.

First, ensure that your dad's finger comes right off the trigger between shots as the second barrell won't arm if you don't.

Use the barrel selector to select the top barrel first, 2 dots on the selector like this : () and see if it works that way round. Then swap back and see how it goes.

If either of these don;t work, then you can return the gun to ANY beretta dealer near you, and they will repair under warranty or send back to original shop for attention/repair or replacement, but you should make your preference clear.

Don't be tempted to meddle yourself though as you WILL invalidate the warranty. Problems with Beretta's are rare as they are well tested in the factory before shipping so try the above before sending back.

EDIT: it should only take a small amount of recoil to activate, I use a light load (24gramme cartridges) and it works fine, everytime, even with thick clothing. For info i have a wooden butt plate on mine now)

Edited by bindi

A mate of mine recently bought a brand new 12b 686 (or 687, I'm not sure). He had this happen to him a couple of times whilst shooting clays. The chap in the shooting ground gun shop said it was probably due to the gun wearing in and that it should sort itself out soon. I will ask him if it has got better next time I see him andd let you know.

Pete

i know someone who has a custom made berreta, he flew out to italy to have it fitted, and watched it being worked on.

when it got back here, it wouldnt fire 2nd barrel

taken to potters (luckily round the corner from him)

numerous emails exhanged (this gun cost him upwards of £5500)

their solution, one of the pins through the action needed adjusting (put in berreta terms, this required a knock with a centre punch and hammer!)

you can imagine how impressed the guy was when all this happened.

however now it functions flawlessly and is one VERY nice gun.

This fault nearly always occurs when you don`t release pressure on the trigger before the second shot. If you can fire one barrel, then wait until you fire the second, as a test, you will probably find it`s OK. Try in sequence between the barrels. Worth a few wasted cartridges, just for peace of mind. Of course you could try over some clays.