navara v l200 v hilux

ddanby111

hi guys.... im looking for a new motor.... i really like the nissan navara aventuras but ive heard about the mitsubishi l200 animals and the toyota hilux too..... now i wont be doing much off roading just down some muddy tracks for a bit of shooting.... i wanted you experienced guys advice as ive heard loads about engines blowing up on the navaras and l200 n stuff..... i have around £10k so im looking around a 2006/07 i recon..... help please.... rate each in 1st 2nd and 3rd please.... thanks alot fellas and happy shooting.

hi guys.... im looking for a new motor.... i really like the nissan navara aventuras but ive heard about the mitsubishi l200 animals and the toyota hilux too..... now i wont be doing much off roading just down some muddy tracks for a bit of shooting.... i wanted you experienced guys advice as ive heard loads about engines blowing up on the navaras and l200 n stuff..... i have around £10k so im looking around a 2006/07 i recon..... help please.... rate each in 1st 2nd and 3rd please.... thanks alot fellas and happy shooting.

I would go for the hilux.

I drive a 2003 Navara and whilst OK it has issues, lot of issues with the newer navara also, I would not buy another. To add some balance the Navara is comfortable, quick and tows well on road.

You pay your money and take your chances on them I'm afraid, however they are all pretty similar with one main difference price, Hilux's hold their value extremely well so you would be getting a far older one than the other choices. Navaras even the newer ones seem to be having a few reliability issues with clutches etc but nothing major they are a fair bit bigger than the L200, 10K will get you a new shape L200 and a pretty high spec 3 year old vehicle. Go and try a few of each and keep your eyes peeled for an unabused one. Personally I'd have the L200 and have just bought a mint 2005 one for under 6K very refined for a pickup

For the budget you have and the age of vehicle you are after the L200 is IMO the best of that bunch. Any Hilux would be older than the other two and in poorer condition because they are more expensive when new and are very sought after used.

Navara I would avoid, too many horror stories.

So, my choice with your budget and criteria:

1. L200

2. Hilux

3. Navara

If money were no object buy a Hilux.

I have a late '06 L200, no complaints, never stuck, 32mpg and comfortable enough.

For the budget you have and the age of vehicle you are after the L200 is IMO the best of that bunch. Any Hilux would be older than the other two and in poorer condition because they are more expensive when new and are very sought after used.

Navara I would avoid, too many horror stories.

So, my choice with your budget and criteria:

1. L200

2. Hilux

3. Navara

If money were no object buy a Hilux.

I have a late '06 L200, no complaints, never stuck, 32mpg and comfortable enough.

:yes: I have an 06 L200 animal - and so far so good.

not much there considering the numbers on the road, seeing as you drive landys rather than any of the above can I suggest a little knowledge is a bad thing :yes::lol:

not much there considering the numbers on the road, seeing as you drive landys rather than any of the above can I suggest a little knowledge is a bad thing :yes::lol:

No - you can't alex :lol: :lol: driven L200 quite regularly and was always a mitsi fan, but the L200's just don't cut it as well as the old shape....but this could vary from car to car (monday morning/friday afternoon type thing)

so far my keeper friend (and they seem to test vehicles very well up here in scotland) has had Landrovers, Suzukis, Dihatsu's, Mitsi's, Izuzu's ....and the Izuzu's seem to come out trumps - the landies are too dear to repair - the diahatsu don't make a suitably sized vehicle anymore and the L200 has been a disaster with springs breaking regularly, 2 turbo's, Shocks, fuel pump etc....

Regards,

Edited to say - my last 3 mitsi's to prove i'm not against them -

post-10812-1286798412.jpg

post-10812-1286798416.jpg

post-10812-1286798420.jpg

Edited by gixer1

But there's a FREELANDER in there too... how dare you talk about Mitsi reliability :lol::lol::lol:

:lol: in all honesty the free lander did 48k of miles without a hitch, i then sold it too a guy from work at the time - saying how "reliable and great" it was and it lasted 2 months and went pop in the cylinder head dept.... :yes: was a cracking car at the time, took it into a local quarry with a guy in a porsche cayenne and it made a joke of the porker - and that was with pirelli scorpion tyres on... :lol:

Regards,

gixer

Edited by gixer1

cheers guys.... im slightly swaying away from the l200... seen a few bad reviews, but some people swaer by them.... also now thinking of going back to a discovery... the best car/truck i ever had... it cost a forture to run plus the head went on it then the auto gearbox... but it had a real soul.... if you know what i mean.

get out and try a few, they all beat a disc hands down for reliability and running costs. I bought my L200 for 6K a similar age and mileage disco is 10k more

Please forgive me if I'm wrong but was it not you who was selling an L200 with a blown turbo? Generally I would agree 100% about Jap reliability vs the Land Rover issues but in my experience L200s are trouble. Ok, so I've only owned three but of those three two of them were a right pain in the butt and cost me a fortune in repair bills. Now the Landies can't be claimed to be perfect by any means but they're better than L200s in my experience. I've had three of those too - all 300tdi Defenders. The only problem mine have had is rusty chassis and with a bit of care that's easily sorted.

yup did sell one with a blown turbo and that truck was why I bought another, it had done 3 years with SHB 4x4 hire then a couple more owners and me and it had been worked seriously hard, only after 9 years of abuse did the turbo go. I've now bought a cared for one and that has been no trouble to its previous owner (full history printout) both have done 30mpg or better, its really luck of the draw, you either love jap reliability or you buy a landy

I'm not sure how you can argue with someone who had two Landies, then tried three Jap trucks before going back to a Landy because it was cheaper and more reliable?!

I guess everyone has their own experiences and opinions but I certainly wouldn't buy another L200. I'd give the Isuzu a go though :rolleyes: