Loads for 'obsolete' 10 bore

Hi.

I have a Thomas Bland 10 bore hammer gun with 2 5/8" chambers, damascus barrels and in lovely condition.

The last time I fired it was in Scotland at the geese with some old Eley paper cased rounds...pre lead shot ban.

Does anyone have any idea on what sort of load I could come up with to stay within the law re shot and not damage my gun.

I would add that at this moment in time, I have only a few bits of reloading equipment picked up from an old boy retiring from shooting and no 10 bore stuff with it. I dont as yet have any cases although I was thinking of having some brass ones turned if a suitable load is possible.

My only other option is to take it off ticket as it falls within the Home Office 'obsolete' category.

I do have one box of shells left for it but as they Eley 1 5/16th no 1 shot in an unopened and still sealed box with a price tag of £1-19s-6d, they will be staying that way.

Guest cookoff013
Hi.

I have a Thomas Bland 10 bore hammer gun with 2 5/8" chambers, damascus barrels and in lovely condition.

The last time I fired it was in Scotland at the geese with some old Eley paper cased rounds...pre lead shot ban.

Does anyone have any idea on what sort of load I could come up with to stay within the law re shot and not damage my gun.

I would add that at this moment in time, I have only a few bits of reloading equipment picked up from an old boy retiring from shooting and no 10 bore stuff with it. I dont as yet have any cases although I was thinking of having some brass ones turned if a suitable load is possible.

My only other option is to take it off ticket as it falls within the Home Office 'obsolete' category.

I do have one box of shells left for it but as they Eley 1 5/16th no 1 shot in an unopened and still sealed box with a price tag of £1-19s-6d, they will be staying that way.

you want some shot called bismuth (which i will try and steer you clear off)(not very helpful but imho its rubbish.)

or some "niceshot" is choke and old gun friendly.

itx, tmx would still be usable with a full shotcup. too.

i`d buy hulls from ian at clay and game. wads and shot.

Cut down some 3.5" cases and reload with Bismuth. If you dont have a press just get a Roll turn over and make your own overshot cards out of some card with a wad punch.

If you cant get any loose bismuth buy a box or two of 12g Eley bismuth and recover the shot from them.

The only only place a gun like yours should be is on the sea wall not the living room one!!!!!!

Edited by starlight32

Cut down some 3.5" cases and reload with Bismuth. If you dont have a press just get a Roll turn over and make your own overshot cards out of some card with a wad punch.

If you cant get any loose bismuth buy a box or two of 12g Eley bismuth and recover the shot from them.

The only only place a gun like yours should be is on the sea wall not the living room one!!!!!!

Nice one!

Another good place to look for old 10bore reloading gear is on the united states ebay site a good few of roll turners and de cappers go up for sale with international postage.

[q]The only only place a gun like yours should be is on the sea wall not the living room one!!!!!![/q]

Couldn't agree more which is why I asked......been offered some Gamebore Tungsten....£3 a shell which I suppose is the price I have to live with to enjoy my gun. Homeloading would make things easier though.

Hi Vince......it was nitro proofed in 1974 and when I had it checked recently, the barrel dimensions were exactly the same as then....good enough for me.

Might be tempted to shell out the £40 or so to the company that owns Bland now to find out its history.

From what I have gleaned already, the numbers and original proof indicate it was made in the late 1800s with a date no later than 1894

• 6 years later...
  • 9 months later...

An option i am looking at is "Little Skeeters" 10 to 12 bore or 10 to 20 bore chamber reducers. Everything I have read is positive, the 12 bore shot column is shortened by passing through an "overbored" barrel, recoil is minimal and shot patterns are equal to or better than the original. They are marketed and approved by Browning in the states. They are available from Brownells UK (10g to order only) quite expensive at a little over £50, but not when you consider the cost of 10g cartridges. Also using light 21 or 24gm 12's will not stress your beloved 10

Use some soft lead alternatives for fowling and lead for everything else. Using 12bore reducing set will cut your costs a lot.

I did first put to use nice shot but it's not available when I checked.

Edited by figgy

Don't you find the gases from the propellant escape past the wad column whilst traveling up the larger bored barrel resulting in reduced velocity and potentialy a disrupted pattern?

Nominal bore sizes are .775" for 10 and .729" for 12, so only .036" difference. I think the skirt on a plastic wad is flexible enough to expand to produce a good seal. I haven't measured velocity but haven't noticed any difference in killing performance in the field. Even using 30gm lead, fibre wad loads for pigeons seems to work fine in the 10.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
On 12/10/2010 at 13:33, Sprackles said:

Hi.

There’s a chap on here ninja ferret whose brother has Remington cartridges the are what your looking for I think 

• 1 year later...
On 30/08/2017 at 20:31, Sundodger said:

You can use the recipes for the 2 7/8 chambered 10 gauge just have to cut down on the wads.

If you give me your email I will send you some good recipes

Sundodger

Hi Sundodger

I just bought a 10 bore 2 5/8 so I would be interested in your load data too if that's OK with you