Heavy .22 pellets or a .25 pellet?

Jon-Boy

Assuming the grain(weight) of the pellets are similar I would have thought that the terminal energy would also be similar.

I reckon that this would only change if you compared standard weight pellets for each calibre, in which case the larger mass pellet (.25) would have the larger terminal energy, but that the .22 would have the straighter trajectory (and so on for the .177).

My physics is pretty poor but i understand that the only way this might change is if one calibre had massively different velocity (as per low/high velocity firearms) and the kinetic energy etc.

Hi,

Bindi. May I ask what do you mean by "terminal energy" since you are using this particular expression for killing power ?

Second. The actually weight of different pellets is not the key factor in killing power. The most important factor in this matter is how your quarry will receive the pellet and what happens upon impact and inside and through the quarry. The actually pellet energy at a quarry is only for penetration and reaching the vital organs plus expansion of the pellet. You can not use the actually energy itself for anything regarding killing power because the internal destruction level is the one thing only which decides how clean a kill will be.

I hope this clear some things up or perhaps put some other thoughts into motion.

Cheers,

Bolta

why may i ask do you want such a heavy pellet?

if you want something which will knock 7 bells out of what you shoot, use hobby 500's

they are flat nosed pellets, and i used them for a long time for my rating, they really packed a punch. however they fly flat for 35yards, before dropping of very quickly indeed.

i now use accupels as a trade off, they give the ability to shoot the rats at 45yards, and still hit hard enough if i fluff a shot.

Hi,

Bindi. May I ask what do you mean by "terminal energy" since you are using this particular expression for killing power ?

Second. The actually weight of different pellets is not the key factor in killing power. The most important factor in this matter is how your quarry will receive the pellet and what happens upon impact and inside and through the quarry. The actually pellet energy at a quarry is only for penetration and reaching the vital organs plus expansion of the pellet. You can not use the actually energy itself for anything regarding killing power because the internal destruction level is the one thing only which decides how clean a kill will be.

I hope this clear some things up or perhaps put some other thoughts into motion.

Cheers,

Bolta

The kinetic energy (the virtue of its motiion) is what I am referring to, and of course it matters where you place the pellet for a kill, but the kinetic energy is linked directly to the mass of the pellet and the velocity. "terminal energy" wasn;t the best choice of words but I thought that most would understand it this way.

The mass has a correlation to the shape/expansion of the pellet and the velocity is diretly correlated to the kinetic energy.

For those still unsure, try catching a pound weight dropped from a height of 2 ft, then try catching a ten pound weight from the same height.

The energy required to catch each weight is equal to energy exerted by each load.

You decide which one hits hardest.

ref: newton's law of motion: action and reaction are equal and oppposite, ie. when 2 bodies interact (pellet and rabbit) the force of the exerted by the first body "pellet" (reliant upon mass and velocity) on the second body "rabbit" is equal and opposite to the force exerted by the second (internal damage to rabbit)

so if you use a low grain .22 then it is unlikely to transfer the same energy of a larger mass .25 pellet travelling at the same velocity.

Hope this makes it clear, but that said. its not a case of just lobbing a large random pellet at a rabbit, its a combination of skill, targetting and use of the most appropriate calibre for the prey. Otherwise we'd all shoot sparrows with 12 bores.!!

so if you use a low grain .22 then it is unlikely to transfer the same energy of a larger mass .25 pellet travelling at the same velocity.

Hi again,

This is absolutely true but we are now talking 2 different muzzle energies here, right ?

But again, the weight of each pellets is not the key factor in killing performance. It is the destruction level that particular pellet can make inside a quarry that counts. Let us for example take a long thought here and say you have 2 different shapes of pellets in the same caliber with approx. the same weight shot from the same gun. Each pellet will have enough energy to penetrate and reaching the vital organs of a quarry and perhaps go the whole way through. One pellet is pointed, the other one is hollowpointed. What would now happen in theory ?

Well, in theory the pointed pellet will go through you quarry leaving only a small wound channel through the quarry giving not the best kill performance you actually could get if you have used a different type of pellet shape. Now, we take the hollowpointed pellet and this one too goes the whole way through the quarry leaving a much larger wound channel because the pellet really expanded upon impact.

Now, may I ask is the pellet energy at a quarry or how much the pellet actually weights in anyway a key factor in killing performance, if the pellet has enough energy to penetrate and reaching the vital organs of a quarry ?

So, if this is true then a hunter should be much more concerned about hitting inside the killzones and make as much internal destruction as possible to get the cleanest kills as one actually can do.

Cheers,

Bolta

Edited by BOLTA

lol this all gets very complicated doesnt it.

Tell you what, ill get out in the field and bowl a couple of rats over and let you know what happens!

Hi,

Complicated ? Perhaps, a little but nothing to worry about.

Now, I will tell you the 3 most important things in killing quarry and these are quite simple. These 3 things are "Shot placement", "Enough energy to penetrate and reaching the vital organs" and "Making enough internal destruction for clean kills". If you understand these 3 subjects you have found the golden path.

And you are doing the right thing here if you go out and try things off yourself. Nothing beats real life experience in this department.

Cheers and happy shooting,

Bolta

they are indeed, ordered them from the states Airgun express or somethin.

They let me order them so i guess i can get them from the states. Its not as though pellets are illegal in this country!

Ill let you know how they perform

Edited by Jon-Boy

• 2 weeks later...

hi, the best pellet i have used on rats in .22 calibre is jsb jumbo match , .they are available from www.air ammo.co.uk, they weigh 15.9 grains and are the heaviest wadcutter(flathead) pellet that i know of . because of their weight they give good muzzle energies out of pre charged guns. they are very accurate out to thirty yards as well .

hope this helps . Mark.