Side By Side for clays?

funkysimmo

I have been shooting sporting clays for the last couple of months or so on a weekly basis, I dont have my own gun yet as I am waiting for my licence to arrive and so I have to borrow the clubs Berreta Black Onyx. I really like the clubs gun and get on well with it, I have been hitting aprox 60 - 65% of the targets and I am happy with this as I treat my shooting as a good day out and enjoy the banter as much as the actual shooting.

The lads I tag along with have been kind enough to let me try their guns, a Berreta EELL which was lovely but way out of my range, a Bettinsoli and a Berreta 682 which both seemed nice but didnt affect my scores either way. Today however Jim let me have a go with his SxS hammer gun, whilst it was only a handful of shots on a novice trap I really enjoyed it and it felt nice to bring up and swing.

This leads me to my question, I have noticed a couple of people at the club shooting with SxS and I was wondering if there was any massive pitfalls in choosing one as opposed to an O/U from Browning, Berreta,Miroku etc. I realise that I will never be winning high gun prizes or inter county championships but to be honest I'm not bothered so long as I'm enjoying myself and can get a reasonable score on a Sunday morning.

Thanks in advance for any replies, I have been lurking on the forum for a while but this is my first post.

Cheers,

Peter

I think that the record for the most woodies shot in a day is held by a sxs and no probs with it on clays,though most prefer an o/u now, it was all sxs not so long ago,it is up to you what gun you use and if you have found one that fits you and your style then stop looking any further you have found your perfect match,just get one of the coaches to check gun fit then buy the gun to suit those measurements ;)

If you are not looking to shoot clays competitively and you will be shooting an equal amount of game (or more) but only want to buy 1 gun, then get a single trigger SBS.

Zoli - if you are on a budget £300 to £600 (fixed choke but shoots lovely)

Beretta Silver Hawk - if you are a bit more flush £1000 to £1800 (for one with multichokes, nice wood and a case)

I have a Sbs inheritted from my grandfather and a modern O/U they are different and both will break clays SbS can be cheaper mine is a BSA branded SKB fromt he late 60's it's a fixed choke single trigger ejector and they seem to sell for £500 ish alhtough you pick up none ejector double trigger sbs for £100 BAikal do/did a modern hammer gun which i think is very cool and certainly different! If your going to use it 100 sporting then get a little used newer gun rather than a fragile antique:

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/100508181340003 is similar to mine...right sort of chokes as well.

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/det...100910172610001 quite cool if a bit faffy

I decided to leave the SbS in the cabinet until i get better with the O/U as thats what i bought it for....

Edited by HDAV

My primary gun is a SBS and although I mainly shoot game with it the odd time I venture to the clay ground I think it performs fine, I like using my SBS because I like the look of it, it fits and most of all because I have confidence in my performance with it - these should be the reasons why you purchase a particular gun, if you are happy with these aspects then you know you have the right weapon.

Welcome to the sport by the way, let us know what you plump for in the end!