Lurchers and Whippets

brooktrout

What is the differance between the English and the Welsh Springers?

Welsh Springers seem to bark more than English and the colour of the 'liver' is more like 'orange', from what I have seen.

The shape of dogs varies so much!

A show English Springer seems to be almost the size of a Labrador, but most people who want to work them would want something smaller.

From the little experience I have had of Cockers, I wouldn't have a solid colour one, especially a golden. Their temperament seems to be suspect. Liable to bite people when excited.

Some local gamekeepers are using a few cockers more now, but only one is a solid colour (Black).

Back to lurchers!

Perhaps a greyhound crossed with a foxhound might give the offspring some stamina. It might not retrieve though!

Met an American over here last season who had a pack of hounds, not sure what he hunted with them. He also said that he and his wife did a lot of shooting from horseback over 'pony dogs'. They couldn't get on with driven pheasants at all well!!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rjimmers post is a good description of the springers, but the orange colour referred to is usually termed as tan. Apparently you cannot get a liver and white Welsh springer. The springer showdogs are correctly described, they are taller, bigger boned specimens. Cant agree with his description of the Welsh being noisier though, unless of course he,s referring to their owners!!!. All wonderful dogs, great temperement, and the working strains are a pleasure for even us novices to train. No doubt a real springer enthusiast will enlighten us on all these finer points.

Yet another strange thing about dogs.

English Pointers can be 'orange' but the same colour in a Welsh Springer is 'tan'.

They say that there is no such thing as a bad dog, only bad owners. Both welsh springers I have known, have belonged to the same person. NUFF SAID?

Brooktrout;

How goes the search for a dog? Do you have any leads yet B) :lol: ? Sorry that just slipped out. Have you been to check any out this past week?

I still haven't been able to get a deffinet yes or no answer from the Ministry of Natural Resources as to whether I could legally run a lurcher over here on rabbits. It may boil down to : I can run them but only if I was going to shoot them and not let the dog catch them.( G## D### fast dog <_<:) Honestly officer if I could slow him down I would I haven't been able to burn any powder, he keeps getting there too fast :P:D:lol::lol::lol: ) . Hopefully I will have a solid answer one way or the other next week. :ph34r:

YP;

I'm calling back into the governing body for fish and wildlife laws ( Ministry of Natural Resources) tomorrow, hopefully someone will have a straight out answer for me.

I had this same problem a couple of years ago when I tried to find out if I could legally use a cast net for smelt fishing in the spring. The best answer I got as long as it was not over 6'x6', think I could make them understand that cast nets are circular and not square. since that I just kept using it. Ive been approached by two differant ministry officers while fishing, they both told me I couldn't use it so I asked them to show me where in the law it stated circumferance of net size. Of course they couldn't find it so we just wave to each other now. I'm just not suppose to tell people where I got the net from. I guess they don't want to be bothered with trying to get an official ruling. Gotta tell you though I sort my smelt, putting everything under 8" back, and I can still out fish the dip netters who keep everything. <_<:)

If nttf,s river is near to the sea, they could be the same sort of smelts.

I have friends on the NE coast of the US, that cast net smelts for bait for striped bass.

Our smelts come way up our rivers, we have netted them in tidal "fresh" water. B)

I can,t answer your question about the picture posting...........I could, but then I would have to kill you. <_<:)

Sorry this was so long coming , but I was putting a head gasket in the wifes van today. Nasty job, and to top it off winter decided to come back. Had that nasty white stuff all over the place.

Columbus;

What we are netting in the spring are fresh water smelts, Osmerus mordax . You will catch fish any where from four to eight inches in size. At one time not so many years ago it was not uncommon to take them through the ice on hook and line. It was not uncommon to hook smelt in the ten to twelve inch size back then. However the chinooks, cohos, steelheads, brown and lake trout have reduced the size of the smelt back more than reducing the numbers. Smelts and alewifes, Alosa pseudoharengus, are the main food source for our Great Lakes salmon and trout species.

Cranfield;

You are correct they are fabulous pike bait aswell.

YP, Columbus, Cranfield:

I phoned the Ministry on Tuesday, and my answer was," this offices first impulse is to answer that it would be legal to run a lurcher (had to explain what a lurcher was) during the rabbit season. However we are passing this question ahead to the Enforcement Supervisor for further clarification. We will call you Friday with the final answer." I think I will phone them on Friday, since I have to find out where my 'permit to run rabbits out of season with a dog, for training purposes' is at. I submitted it a month and a half ago.

I'll post the final verdict on Friday.

The verdict is in. There seems to be an oversite in the natural resource laws of Ontario, no one ever thought to make any laws concerning the sport of lurchers. Therefore by ommission from the books it is legal to run a lurcher through daylight hours of the rabbit season. :D:D:D:D This statement comes from the cheif of enforcement himself. :lol::lol: Bet ya he hated to have to put his name on that one :D:D . Although I don't know if I will be getting a long dog myself, I do have a buddy with a beautiful greyhound cross <_<:) . Who knows though I may have to sneak one into the kennels while someone isn't looking B) :lol: . This does open up a whole new realm of possibilities ; Monday thru Tuesday hunt cotton tails with the beagles, Wednesday thru Thursday run European hare with the lurcher, Friday thru Saturday take the springer for ruffed grouse and snowshoe hares. There is no Sunday hunting allowed unless on a preserve :< Now I just have to figure out how to fit everything else in as well :lol::P:D . The labs and the setters would be pretty miffed if we missed out on ducks, geese, woodcock, grouse and pheasant. It's a good thing the dogs and I pick on the pigeons when all the other game seasons are closed. :D

May be needing some advice in the near future. NTTF

nttf, that sounds like a great result.

Quite a few long dog breeds will course rabbits, whether they will pick them up is a different matter.

My in-laws had a Borzoi as a "fostered rescue dog" for 6 months and I use to exercise it.

One day on the marsh, she flushed a rabbit and coursed it.

She overtook it, jumped over it, stopped and waited for it to catch her up, almost licked it, but she wouldn,t pick it up.

I tried teasing her with a dead rabbit, it made no difference.

But, it was great fun, just to watch her run.

Poetry in motion. <_<