Semi Auto's and Game Birds

Your a bit late to this topic.

I've seen them on game shoots where same as you it's the only way a gun could keep enjoying their sport. 

On a walked up or rough shoot I have no problems with autos. 

On a English Driven game day, dress for the day and use a suitable gun. 

In Europe they use semi autos for the type of driven and walked up day they have.  Some of nicer game scene engraved autos look nice and not out of place for the gent having to use one.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, shalfordninja33 said:

With the current trend of 'high' bird days and the heavy loads being driven through those guns, I would think an auto would be better suited to dealing with the recoil. 

I think turning up on a "high bird day "with an auto would lead to a swift trip back to the car!

Tradition is simply something that was done because it was the best option at the time. If there's still a good reason for doing it, fine, carry on. Saying certain people can't participate because of circumstances beyond their control is just scummy. Being inclusive is about making reasonable accommodations for people. My friend with cancer gets to swap to the closest peg every drive, is that too far away from tradition? The gent who shoots a semi auto because of his arthritis, is he now beyond measure? I can't squeeze my diseased arms into tweed jackets, does that mean I'm not allowed to shoot? Frankly if someone else not being exactly like you destroys your enjoyment of something, what you're actually looking for is a uniform and a belief system. 

51 minutes ago, ehb102 said:

Tradition is simply something that was done because it was the best option at the time. If there's still a good reason for doing it, fine, carry on. Saying certain people can't participate because of circumstances beyond their control is just scummy. Being inclusive is about making reasonable accommodations for people. My friend with cancer gets to swap to the closest peg every drive, is that too far away from tradition? The gent who shoots a semi auto because of his arthritis, is he now beyond measure? I can't squeeze my diseased arms into tweed jackets, does that mean I'm not allowed to shoot? Frankly if someone else not being exactly like you destroys your enjoyment of something, what you're actually looking for is a uniform and a belief system. 

Tradition has and is evolving like many things 

the tweed suit or jacket is to blend into the surroundings 

its to give you the best opportunity for a successful day 

The team I shoot with goes out of its way to accommodate anyone with a genuine disability to enable them to have a good day including having a mule altered so the wheelchair bound occupant can drive his self to the peg (retaining his  dignity)and enjoy the day 

his words 

cheers lads if you can go to this amount of trouble for me I’ll make sure my tailor gets me dressed proper for the day 

Genuine disabled sports men and women will always be catered for in the shooting field as we all know that any one of us is only a breath away from disabilities of some sort 

as yet we haven’t been asked by anyone if they can shoot a semi automatic 

we did have one gent asked For a lad to assist loading as he only had one arm he explained he was quite capable of doing it but he felt the way he did it could make the other guns uneasy as it may have been seen as unsafe (it wasn’t a he could shoot serious well I assisted him on the day) 

Edited by Old farrier

I have used my 16 Gauge Remy 1100 on a couple of occasions when my normal double is being repaired. Just asked the host if there was a problem and never declined.  

I shoot 410 now exclusively and still have fun and still lay a few on the deck.  If you have a physical problem with recoil then buy a 410 have fun watching folks faces when you tidy up behind them.:good:

3 minutes ago, ehb102 said:

One of the greatest idiosyncrasies of British culture is our love of tradition. Our dress code, manners, etiquette and dare I say it, the choice of the accepted gun for the job in hand has, over many years become accepted practice.

Of course, exceptions are made. An ageing of infirm gun would always be accommodated whether that be in his choice of caliber, clothing or peg placement. However, that should never be the norm.

A formal days game shooting is something special, steeped in tradition and etiquette, a day to be truly savored, whether you shoot 1 day a year or 100.

If an aspiring game shot doesn't wish to conform then the answer is quite simple, don't shoot driven game. 

5 minutes ago, CharlieT said:

One of the greatest idiosyncrasies of British culture is our love of tradition. Our dress code, manners, etiquette and dare I say it, the choice of the accepted gun for the job in hand has, over many years become accepted practice.

Of course, exceptions are made. An ageing of infirm gun would always be accommodated whether that be in his choice of caliber, clothing or peg placement. However, that should never be the norm.

A formal days game shooting is something special, steeped in tradition and etiquette, a day to be truly savored, whether you shoot 1 day a year or 100.

If an aspiring game shot doesn't wish to conform then the answer is quite simple, don't shoot driven game. 

+1:good:  An old friend of mine fishing a beat on the Spey in the seventies was asked "You aren;t fishing without a tie sir?

I can’t wait to turn up to a formal ball dance in my thong and flip flops. 

I’ll tell them their traditional attire is ridiculous and they need to get with the times. 

Disabled shooters will will always be supported to enter the field and continue their sport. 

However, I can’t see why they can’t use a smaller gauge? 

Example a 28g OU with 21g of 6 shot is a very fine gun and cartridge and should provide for a nice light gun, with a soft cartridge. 

Semi autos are often heavy things and I can’t see how someone with a shoulder injury would benefit from lifting and swinging a big heavy gun all day, rather than a smaller bore which can still be very effective. 

Guest cookoff013

small gauge doesnt do it.  *cough*

i`ve nothing against a semi on a driven day. 

no-one should be that self centered that someone else enjoyment is detremental to your own. 

you should be focusing on your own enjoyment / day. 

i`ve heard guys actually swapping to there alternate guns between drives, because they want to enjoy shooting ! can you believe it !

5 hours ago, CharlieT said:

Yep.

Notwithstanding the exceptions already mentioned so don't need repeating, it's worth bearing in mind that the vast majority of our traditions/lore were founded on safety considerations so we need to be a tad careful with regard to which ones we kick into touch.

6 hours ago, Tollerman said:

In these modern days with common sense standing on its head it's nice to see that some traditions remain.A driven day is something special .A little  piece of an England that is slowly disappearing .Shirt and tie, waxed cotton or tweed sxs or o/u .Long may it remain.

+1 for this,:good:It's like someone riding a Vincent Rapide wearing modern fancy leathers,or riding a Harley wearing a full face helmet,safer Probably but just not the thing.

11 hours ago, guzzicat said:

Gun fit & cartridge choice= less recoil

Not if you have a herniated set of discs in your neck it doesn’t.

11 hours ago, tweedledee said:

I often argue if anyone had a shoulder injury does that me he has to give up rather than lift a softer shooting auto????? I'm going back to autos for all my shooting....

This is the predicament I find myself in. A serious neck injury caused in one of the lovely sandy places I have found myself in the last 15 years means I’m only able to shoot my O&U for 25 carts max. My Auto allows me to continue to enjoy shooting for years to come.....hopefully.

Edited by Taileron

One of those posts that reminds me of watching TV one moment then you nod off into a deep hard sleep. 

The next thing, you get a good shaking off the Mrs, waking up and you jump out of your skin wondering what on earths going on ?????? :shout:

How long have i been sleeping for ???

9 YEARS !!! this must be a record !!!

Whilst I obviously endorse the posts re ailments and injuries I am very much for retaining the traditions of driven shooting to the point where, personally, I STILL hate to see people turn out to shoot game with O/U guns. It just doesn’t seem right to me.

(fixing tin hat as I type).

Edited by London Best