Semi Auto's and Game Birds

3 minutes ago, Scully said:

I really do think it should be down to the choice of the individual. If we’re so intent on sticking with tradition then perhaps we should still be using hammer guns as opposed to hammerless? 

Muzzle loaders and BP, even better! 

My opinion on this is much the same as yours, we really should be looking to be as inclusive as possible and while yes, there is something for the sight of the line of guns, all done up in tweed with the sxs etc it's also as has been previously mentioned part of what makes it look exclusive. After the fiasco with the GL we need all the friends we can get. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scully, correct again.

Of course it should be down to individual choice, and it is. I don’t actually refuse to shoot game with users of O/Us, I just wish they wouldn’t do it. Oh, and I love to use hammerguns. I’m sure I will never own an OU, I just don,t like them. Fine if you want to shoot clays with them.  I don’t stalk deer with a target rifle either.

2 hours ago, Taileron said:

Not if you have a herniated set of discs in your neck it doesn’t.

This is the predicament I find myself in. A serious neck injury caused in one of the lovely sandy places I have found myself in the last 15 years means I’m only able to shoot my O&U for 25 carts max. My Auto allows me to continue to enjoy shooting for years to come.....hopefully.

Exactly..stuff this English tradition malarkey..if ya need it ya need it..keep in the sport

10 hours ago, tweedledee said:

Exactly..stuff this English tradition malarkey..if ya need it ya need it..keep in the sport

That is fine, you enjoy your game shooting , & accept all of your invitations to do same with your auto & I will do the same with my handful of English side by sides,my auto 12 &10 bore pump I will keep for wildfowling.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Townie said:

I’m sure I was told many years ago in the days when we had 4+1 autos that they were frowned on because the possibility of 5 goes at a bird was considered deeply unsporting.

So two or more guns having a go at the same bird is sporting?

And shooting a pair or trio of guns with a loader or two which allows a gun to keep up a contiuous rate of fire is sporting?

But an auto isn't?

It simply comes down to prejudice as the bird doesn't care what it is shot with.

As others have mentioned, we would still be shooting matchlocks if some people gor their way.

Edited by Stonepark

9 hours ago, Stonepark said:

So two or more guns having a go at the same bird is sporting?

And shooting a pair or trio of guns with a loader or two which allows a gun to keep up a contiuous rate of fire is sporting?

But an auto isn't?

It simply comes down to prejudice as the bird doesn't care what it is shot with.

As others have mentioned, we would still be shooting matchlocks if some people gor their way.

Don’t get me wrong - I agree with you! I’ve shot plenty of ducks with the third cartridge from my semi and more than a few pheasants with the second barrel after the neighbouring gun missed. And then there was the bird that flew down the line and was missed by five guns.

I wouldn’t take a semi to a driven shoot for the same reasons (don’t ask me what they are) that I wear a suit and black tie to a funeral and polish my shoes. But I wouldn’t object if others did.

1 hour ago, Townie said:

Don’t get me wrong - I agree with you! I’ve shot plenty of ducks with the third cartridge from my semi and more than a few pheasants with the second barrel after the neighbouring gun missed. And then there was the bird that flew down the line and was missed by five guns.

I wouldn’t take a semi to a driven shoot for the same reasons (don’t ask me what they are) that I wear a suit and black tie to a funeral and polish my shoes. But I wouldn’t object if others did.

Apologies, was a late night post and may have come across a bit strong....

16 minutes ago, Stonepark said:

Apologies, was a late night post and may have come across a bit strong....

It did 😂

have you actually shot on a formal driven day? Used a pair of guns with a loader or a trio 

just to add a 5 + shot auto is classed as a firearm 

and as far as I’m aware unless the rule has changed there not licensed for avian game birds 

58 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

It did 😂

have you actually shot on a formal driven day? Used a pair of guns with a loader or a trio 

just to add a 5 + shot auto is classed as a firearm 

and as far as I’m aware unless the rule has changed there not licensed for avian game birds 

I have shot a driven day with loader and a composed pair, only issue I had was that I have a tenancy to take birds well in front with first gun and ended up cleaning up a number of birds tailed above the line by adjacent guns with my 2nd of the pair.

Correct only a three shot is allowed legally but no reason why 3+ shotguns shouldn't be, but you do lose the lightweight benefits the more cartridges you have in the magazine.

54 minutes ago, JDog said:

It did and I am surprised at your stance on this subject.

I am of the 'live and let live' variety and have used a my 3 shot on a game day before (loaned my OU to another gun who had managed to forget his and I only lived a few minutes from shoot at time and nipped home to get it  but I think I only used the three shots once - on two different birds).

If examined from an effectiveness point of view, should we all not be using the most effective gun design to kill and the semi auto (whether gas or reoil operated) is it as each shot you fire is exactly the same (bar a slight change in gun balance due to cartridges being used in magazine) and despite the arguments over advantages of being able to choose the exact choke for each shot which a double allows, nearly all misses are caused by being off target which the semi auto mimimises by allowing a quicker and more accurate target aquisition?

14 minutes ago, guzzicat said:

On open gun (no matter how many barrels)is visibly safe an outo is never so.

The only safe gun is a empty one regardless of what action. An open gun if you stumbled could close and fire, all sorts of scenarios. Autos are no more dangerous.

2 minutes ago, figgy said:

The only safe gun is a empty one regardless of what action. An open gun if you stumbled could close and fire, all sorts of scenarios. Autos are no more dangerous.

As some peoples perceived danger wasn't what was being talked about here my question still stands

17 minutes ago, London Best said:

I have shot for nearly sixty years and believe it or not I don’t think that I have ever seen anyone using a pump action shotgun, anywhere. Seen folks with S/A yes, but never a pump.

I’ve seen a few semi autos and even a single barrelled gun, but have only ever seen a pump on our syndicate. 

On our walked up rough shoot anything goes also.