• .220 Swift
    • .22-250

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Was "ACCUSED" of assault so police took all my firearms. Case was virtually thrown out of court and i got my guns back damaged. .22/250 still zeroed spot on despite a damaged scope, they bagged my .22/250 and my .308 together without anything to seperate them so i'm surprised they weren't damaged more than they were.

Shotgun was damaged too as they stripped it and put all 3 parts in the slip.........Perhaps they didnt think i would be getting them back? ;)

And my rimmy was damaged but not sure how they managed to do that as that was in a padded gun bag on its own.

Got em back now and its not easy to get a gun shop round here to write a report on the damage that has been done, so i can't get any compensation from the fcukers.

Never mind tho as i'm just happy to have em back and it means i aint got to use that under powered .223 anymore of my mates **** :lol::lol::lol:

.223s are a bit like high powered rimfires aint they?:lol:? :thumbs:

things like this make me sick

i hate seeing people treating any gun incorrectly

when my dad had to hand his pistol in he had his friend (RFD) value the gun at about 3x its value (walther GSP .22)

payback for destroying such a lovely piece of enginering (or selling it to some drug dealer)

try and get the damage on your guns valued, and make them pay.

I love 22-250 shots very flat is a bit finiky about what grain bullets are put up them i here that 223 are more versatile with the home loaders but apart from that i love my 22-250 and i think you have to be very awear of back stops with 243 with 70 + grain bullets there intended for deer and good penertration so they will pass throught a fox with no problems .

post-18-1138997204.jpg

I am trying to get a gun dealer to assess the damage so that i can make em pay. You can't imagine how P&%$£d off i was when i saw what damage was done. I got the property officer to sign to say that the damage was done when i received the guns back, but no gun dealer will do a letter as they say its too much hassle.

Damage was to all parts of my shotgun, scuffs to my .22/250s scope and damage to the mod, scratches on the stock of my .308 and the mod. rimfire woodwork is scrtatched and the scope is scratched but that aint a very expensive scope so it isn't abig problem....... Although there shouldn't be any damage.

I've still got another gun shop to try but its a fair distance and i haven't had time to go as yet. Looks like the buggaz will get away with it tho :thumbs:

try and find a local RFD who does gunsmithing for gunshops and befriend him

plod dosent know anything about the cost of a gun (hense why the plonkers treat them like they do) so you might even be able to make some money for your efforts.

i can only hope i never go through what has happened to you. would make me feel sick. i spend most of my free time maintaining the guns and for some **** with a sack to come and take them away for doing something i didnt ....... well that would reli not make me a happy bunny.

hope you can get some sort of a compensation from it, best of luck :thumbs:

there's only one rule when lamping

CANT SEE IT & BEHIND IT(and i dont just mean its eyes i mean all of it you need to be 110% sure it is what it is AND u need to know 110% you have a safe back stop)

DONT SHOOT IT.............

I myself will have not taken the shot alot more times than i have taken the shot for various reasons. if i was99.9% sure its not enough. there will always be a next time.

field craft comes to mind

try and get your fox wher u want him, use the wind to your advantage and the terrain of the land. i've been involved with field sports for over 30yrs and i'm still learning the art of field craft, FIELD CRAFT (THE NEVER ENDING LEARNING CURVE)

BE SAFE 110%

BE CONFIDENT

ENJOY WHAT YOU DO

REMEMBER YOUR NEVER TO OLD TO LEARN NO MATTER HOW LONG YOU'VE BEEN AT THE GAME

HAPPY SHOOTING LADS

NUFF SAID. :thumbs: :lol:;)

i think you have to be very awear of back stops with 243 with 70 + grain bullets there intended for deer and good penertration so they will pass throught a fox with no problems .

Sorry Trevor but I don’t think that you have ever used a .243 with 70grn ballistic tips, otherwise you would know that at ranges of 150-200 yds they generally just blow the back out of the fox with nothing left of the bullet itself. As for using a 70grn V-max on deer… :thumbs: ..don’t think so, that is what the 85-100grn soft points are for.

And as far as backstops are concerned….well the same applies to all shots regardless of calibre or power….don’t shoot if you aren’t sure of your backstop.;)

G.M.

.223s are a bit like high powered rimfires aint they?:(? :rolleyes:

**** :(

Typical Derbys ...........

I think the comments made on Shooting Foxes at around 100-150 yds are spot on as the norm ................You need some serious gear to identify the vitals if your shooting further at a Streetwise fella who'll bolt at the sign of a UNDIFFUSED LAMP .

Ive :lol:

gemini y not use 50 grain supreme ballistic silver tips as they are deer leagel they meet the muzzel energy and ftlbs i dont shoot deer so i dont now but as for shooting a 243 i have had some experience but have had more with 270 wsm what a round.

I’m using a Tikka T3 which has a fairly long throat so even 70grn bullets have to be set out fairly long. And even then I can’t really get them as close to the rifling as I would like but even so they are pretty accurate.

The 55 grn bullets don’t seem to go very well in my rifle, which could be due to the long jump into the lead,(or maybe because I just didn’t persist in finding the right load :*) ), which is why I use 70 grn Nosler Varmint Ballistic Tips for fox (bloody incredible) and 100grn Nosler Partitions for deer. :rolleyes:

G.M.

with the .243 my dad uses 87 grain hornady vmax (if memory serves me)

very destructive, not amazingly accurate because the gun kisses you on the eye brow, so no one likes shootign a group with it.

but its a stalking rifle (not that its take a deer yet, nor will it with that load) so accuracy isnt such an issue, no bipod, sling mounted on barrel, its no 600 yard V bull monster :rolleyes:

.243 is on my ticket for foxing Frank but i've just gotta go and order the new rifle. I'm thinking of buying a Sauer outback complete with new accessories. I'm not getting the .243 because i'm unhappy with the .22/250 i'm getting it because the FEO has allowed it for foxing, and i just want one rifle instead of a cupboard full.

He's let me have the .308 for FOXING too. He may be crazy...who knows :rolleyes:

DEADEYE IVE is u owt to do with livens?:(?

my old man has .243 for fox and vermin!

also know someone who has .308 cleared for fox (as a seperate condition) but he has been in the game a few years :rolleyes:

I'm thinking of buying a Sauer outback complete with new accessories

synthetic or wood stock?

please say wood, they are one of the best looking rifles around with the wooden stock.

SORRY TO DISAPPOINT BUT IT HAS GOT TO BE SYNTHETIC.....I'M NOT SURE THAT THE 202 OUTBACK IS MADE WITH A WOODEN STOCK. ITS JUST NOT PRACTICAL TO HAVE A WOODEN STOCKED RIFLE FOR THE SHOOTING THAT I DO.

I'VE GOT A MATE WHO HAS GOT A WOODEN STOCKED SAUER AND IT IS A CRACKING PIECE OF WOOD. I WOULDN'T WANT TO TAKE IT INTO THE LANDY FOR FEAR OF SCRATCHING IT.

MINE HAS A SEPERATE CONDITION TOO.

I KNOW SOMEONE WHO CAN USE ANY RIFLE UNRESTRICTED ON HIS TICKET!!!

SPOSE HE COULD USE A .50 BMG LOL.

SORRY TO DISAPPOINT BUT IT HAS GOT TO BE SYNTHETIC.....I'M NOT SURE THAT THE 202 OUTBACK IS MADE WITH A WOODEN STOCK. ITS JUST NOT PRACTICAL TO HAVE A WOODEN STOCKED RIFLE FOR THE SHOOTING THAT I DO.

I'VE GOT A MATE WHO HAS GOT A WOODEN STOCKED SAUER AND IT IS A CRACKING PIECE OF WOOD. I WOULDN'T WANT TO TAKE IT INTO THE LANDY FOR FEAR OF SCRATCHING IT.

MINE HAS A SEPERATE CONDITION TOO.

I KNOW SOMEONE WHO CAN USE ANY RIFLE UNRESTRICTED ON HIS TICKET!!!

SPOSE HE COULD USE A .50 BMG LOL.

think they make the 202 in wood, the yanks certainly have them, and im 99% certain anderson has a rack of 5 or 6 202's with gorgeous wood.

synthetic stocks do make sense if you know you cant keep the wood looking its best.

If its just for fox, then it has to be 223, not a barrell burner, cheap to run and plenty good enough for 300 yd charly, remember, 223 is used at 1000 yd target shooting. Oh and My 308 has fox on it too

At 300 yards you're less certain of a clean kill and a hell of a distance to run if it isn't. Even with a rifle tried and tested at distance on paper. Live quarry is a different league altogether. I much prefer as close as possible to make sure. It's very rare I'll take a shot much above 200 yards.

I agree though .223 is more versatile and ammo is more available and cheap. I use one to good effect. If you shoot in an area thats often susceptable to wind though, you'd be better off with the 22/250. You can reload for them and minimise the barrel burn issue.

Dave