scopes,.22vhmr

telf

hi all,new to forum and after some advice.I am going to apply for my FAC after air gunning for some years on and off,i have been looking around and had decided on a anschutz .22 1417 with bushnell 2.5-16x50 scope and sak mod.But after some thought and more research am in two minds on getting an anscutz 1517, 17hmr with bushnell 6-24x50 scope and sak mod as there are alot of open fields with very little cover on my shoot with distances of 100yds plus, but at the same time there are distances where i can get a shot at 15yds.Any advice on choice of gun and scope would be very much appreciated,also i will be selling my air gun a weirauch hw 100,hawke map 6 scope and 1 piece mount all 5 months old if anybody interested when i get fac which will probably be nearer xmas, sorry for prattlig on so much

For vermin shooting you don't need so much mag. I am fairly new to this game but a 3-9X50 on the .22RF and 4-12X50 on the .17HMR perfectly fine. Too much mag tends to make the scope heavier and it's harder to pick up the target at very high magnification.

The CZ rifles very good value. Each shot from the .17HMR costs three times that of the .22! But the HMR is much louder than the .22.

Depending on your budget I'd go for both in CZ variants - save some money on lower power scopes?

For vermin shooting you don't need so much mag. I am fairly new to this game but a 3-9X50 on the .22RF and 4-12X50 on the .17HMR perfectly fine. Too much mag tends to make the scope heavier and it's harder to pick up the target at very high magnification.

The CZ rifles very good value. Each shot from the .17HMR costs three times that of the .22! But the HMR is much louder than the .22.

Depending on your budget I'd go for both in CZ variants - save some money on lower power scopes?

Can't argue a lot with that, the Anschutz are excellent but will not produce any better results in the field than a CZ.

Scope choice is simply impossible, it becomes very personal with some wanting daft magnification.

The majority of my shooting is done at 6x, even on the centrefires, and commonly out to around 200 yards, I tend to use the higher mag to look around in the distance for quarry id!

Can't argue a lot with that, the Anschutz are excellent but will not produce any better results in the field than a CZ.

Scope choice is simply impossible, it becomes very personal with some wanting daft magnification.

The majority of my shooting is done at 6x, even on the centrefires, and commonly out to around 200 yards, I tend to use the higher mag to look around in the distance for quarry id!

thanks for the help,what kind of accurate distance could i expect from both rifles

The .22lr and HMR (as with pretty much all calibres) are very accurate, once you find the right ammo/barrel combination. The limiting factor is almost always the shooter!

HMR will push the range somewhat over .22lr. :rolleyes:

Personally I shoot .22lr out to about 80 yards and .17hmr out to about 150. Both those ranges can be pushed a bit but more skill is involved then.

The HMR is very much a point and shoot calibre. The drop on the .22lr makes it much more of a challenge and almost impossible for me after 100 yards. Your range estimation has to be spot on or you'll get your hold over wrong.

Personally I shoot .22lr out to about 80 yards and .17hmr out to about 150. Both those ranges can be pushed a bit but more skill is involved then.

The HMR is very much a point and shoot calibre. The drop on the .22lr makes it much more of a challenge and almost impossible for me after 100 yards. Your range estimation has to be spot on or you'll get your hold over wrong.

would i be correct in thinking the 22 is accurate from 0to75yds without any bullet drop in that distance, and the hmr the same out to 150ish.Will probably go for a less mag scope but am still unsure about gun as i will probably only get one or other at the moment and dont want to make an expensive mistake ,just trying to get as much info as poss

As with all bullets there will be a small rise and drop between the two ranges. Nothing major though at the maximums you've quoted.

I guess the gun you get should be decided on two points. 1. What is the maximum range you think you will need to shoot to and 2. Do you need to be quiet? A third consideration I would give is that if your land is flat the HMR is less likely to ricochet than the .22lr. Depending on the size of the land and also its surroundings, this may or may not be an issue? If you're in the middle of nowhere and can see for several hundred yards around you then a .22lr ricochet will come back to earth anyway.

would i be correct in thinking the 22 is accurate from 0to75yds without any bullet drop in that distance, and the hmr the same out to 150ish.Will probably go for a less mag scope but am still unsure about gun as i will probably only get one or other at the moment and dont want to make an expensive mistake ,just trying to get as much info as poss

personally your first scope choice is a good one, 2.5-16 is ideal you really don't need more as most shots will be sub 150 yards. When the magnification is useful is when you sit out ar range in daylight for rabbits.

No, the .22 bullet flight arc is more pronounced. With the .22, the range you zero it at makes a lot of difference. Too far and you'll have to hold under for a lot of mid range shots (30-40yards). With the HMR you can pretty much zero at anything from 45yards to 125 yards and it will hit close on zero for everything inbetween (may have to hold over under 30yards though, which throws a lot of people).

I find around 50-55yards a good range for the LR, that way it's "fairly" flat for the LR's optimum range (45-80ish).

The LR is cheaper and quieter, which if you have a lot of bunnies and cover to get within 60ish yards is ideal, the HMR will surprise them from a distance but cost you more to shoot. I don't find the noise a big issue though where the rabbits are concerned, as it's mainly the bullet making the noise it echoes around a fair bit and the rabbit doesn't seem to know where it's coming from so doesn't always run.

The LR makes a louder whump when it hits than the HMR and can just as easily spook the others but the noise may be an issue to anything neighbouring:- people, horses (or more usually horse owners rather than the horses themselves as they don't seem too bothered) etc.

• 2 weeks later...
No, the .22 bullet flight arc is more pronounced. With the .22, the range you zero it at makes a lot of difference. Too far and you'll have to hold under for a lot of mid range shots (30-40yards). With the HMR you can pretty much zero at anything from 45yards to 125 yards and it will hit close on zero for everything inbetween (may have to hold over under 30yards though, which throws a lot of people).

I find around 50-55yards a good range for the LR, that way it's "fairly" flat for the LR's optimum range (45-80ish).

The LR is cheaper and quieter, which if you have a lot of bunnies and cover to get within 60ish yards is ideal, the HMR will surprise them from a distance but cost you more to shoot. I don't find the noise a big issue though where the rabbits are concerned, as it's mainly the bullet making the noise it echoes around a fair bit and the rabbit doesn't seem to know where it's coming from so doesn't always run.

The LR makes a louder whump when it hits than the HMR and can just as easily spook the others but the noise may be an issue to anything neighbouring:- people, horses (or more usually horse owners rather than the horses themselves as they don't seem too bothered) etc.

thanks for the replys,i think i ll

go for the anschutz with a zeiss 3-9x50 scope