BAITING A FIELD

Highlander

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It requires a lot of time, trouble & expense, also you need to time it right, when other food sources are scarce.

It goes without saying that you need to have exclusive rights to the field you are baiting, otherwise some muppet will get there the day before you plan to go and mess it up for you.

I don't see anything wrong in doing it - it's what the pro's do, and they can earn a good living at it.

Cat.

It requires a lot of time, trouble & expense, also you need to time it right, when other food sources are scarce.

It goes without saying that you need to have exclusive rights to the field you are baiting, otherwise some muppet will get there the day before you plan to go and mess it up for you.

I don't see anything wrong in doing it - it's what the pro's do, and they can earn a good living at it.

Cat.

I dont see anything wrong with doing it, especially if it draws Pigeons from other crops where they are doing damage. I think sacrificial crops/baiting is the way forward certainly during the winter months when slogging it out on rape can be hard going. Bung something tasty down for them and get stuck in.

And before someone get the chance to drag it back up again.......Digweeds record bag wasn't baited..... how the hell (or why) would you bait a rape stubble field anyway! Rant over :devil:

Don't know if it's common practice.  BASC say they do not support baiting but do not say why.

Piebob

Piebob

That's 'cause there's no money in it for them and they can't figure out a training course to sell you! :D

too bloody true :lol: B)

I think its abhorrent and totally outside the normal rules of Sportsmanship. Decoying birds to an area of a field they are feeding in is one thing... baiting is another and in my opinion outside the remit laid down by Defra for control of species on the General List

My view is that if we start carrying out this practice our sport WILL soon dissappear.

Sorry if Upset some of the proffessionals but thats the way it is. :D

FM.

i also think baiting of any kind is not cricket how would u like me shoot u as u eat ur tea :D :<

it should be ur wits against theres in the natural enviroment in the countryside

y do u think it is against the law to poison bate foxes etc it not rite

I was always under the impresion that "Baiting" a field was illegal ? i may be wrong but someone on here must know for sure.

Anyway dosent it contradict the "Terms of engagement" under which we shoot pest species as per the last General licence ,in so much as they have to be causing damage to crops etc before they are classed as a pest?.

Just my thoughts.

Regards Sutty :D

Come on guys get stuck in...

Sutty...it's not illegal, might be frowned upon, might be unsporting, might be against the spirit of the general licence, might be there's some strong views on it. Might be it's a good way of getting a good bag in hard times. SO lets hear what you guys think.

Will B/Catamong if you read this maybe you'd like to justify your side of the fence. Fisherman Mike & Deako I guess you've taken your stance. What about the rest of you. Lets have an opinion. This is a forum for discussion after all. Don't be shy. Get stuck in :D

How about we all e-mail a mate and ask them to contribute. Keep it civil, kep it polite but for c***** sake say some thing.

Edited by Highlander

Lets get this straight as its something I feel strongly about.

We are given legal permission through Defra to shoot pigeons under strict guidelines issued to and sanctioned by Government. This "open Licence" is given as a means of crop protection only and not as an inherant sporting right.

The moment that the non sporting community recognises we are shooting outside these guidelines we are in serious trouble.

I may as well buy 16 tonne of seed grain and spread it on Minchinhampton Common in full view of the DEFRA regional office 500 yards away at Aston Down.

If we take up pre-baiting we dont deserve to keep our sport and if any Proffessional Guides* advocate it I hope they go out of business pretty damn quick.

*( Sorry Guys... nothing personal but this subject really sticks in my Craw )

FM.

As usual FM has hit the proverbial nail on the head. :lol:

Woodpigeons take a bloody good hammering from certain 'big bag' men in this country and some of the pro guides slaughter far, far too many. :o

If the shooting over the rape is "hard going" or it "only produces a few birds...", then take up golf or darts or fishing or whatever.

Woodies struggle at this time of year and although I'm all for crop protection, I am amazed that a so called 'professional' pigeon guide is advocating field baiting on a public internet forum. B)

Daft. :D

Only a complete ******** would advocate baiting a field.  :D

My view on this is (and I'll take any knocks any of you care to throw at me is this highly deBAITable subject ho ho ho).

The only single difference between baiting a field solely for the purpose of Pigeon shooting and the Normal sowing done by farmers is that when a field is sown its because at the end of the day the farmer is growing for profit.

Now if you remove the farmer and the profit it all becomes terribly taboo!

Essentially, when a farmer sows a field he is BAITING... unintentionally of course cos he's not doing it for the birds benefit but his own pocket! The pigeons dont know the difference between a baited field and a normal field, and nor do they care! They will go to wherever they can find food.

I agree with FM in that it may well be outside the rules of the General Licence BUT put yourself in thefarmers shoes...I'm sure in their eyes they would rather have the pigeons feeding on some crappy old tail wheat from the dryer or something spread on a spare field than having them thrash the living **** out of their rape crop.

I think baiting should be allowable on the basis that the baited fields act as a distraction/sacrificial crop in order to allow the Rape crops during winter to be less pestered, therefore allowing a better crop. It would also allow Pigeon shooters to maintain effective crop protection activity during winter time which is notoriously difficult anyway. As for baiting during the period between March-October then you'd have to be a muppet to do it as there's stacks around and they're easily decoyed.

Anyway I'll be putting on my flame suit now. :lol:

**Disclaimer** I have never baited a field ever and I wholeheartedly encourgage you not to bait fields kids because its very naughty....I just think it would be a good idea IF IT WERE ALLOWED.. YA GET ME??**Disclaimer ends - Thankyou please**

i also think baiting of any kind is not cricket how would u like me shoot u as u eat ur tea  :D  :<

If you saw what I get served up some nights it would bee seen as a mercy killing mate :D

Rabbit Stew, Fried Rabbit, Rabbit Steaks, Rabbit Soup, Rabbit Au Gratin, Rabbit Casserole.....:)?

Cat

:lol: B) :o ;)

In my humble opinion there are really two parts to this debate.

The Theoretical;

If it contravenes the General Licence, then what about roost shooting, flight line shooting, ferals in farmyards, decoying on non threatened crops (clover) etc.

Assuming the object is to seriously control pigeons numbers, then this would be an effective way of doing it.

They are after all vermin.

Would we have the same objections if we were talking about rats ?

The Practical;

How many pigeon shooters do you know that could afford, or be bothered, to go and purchase a trailer load of suitable bait and scatter it over a piece of set a side, just for a days shooting ?

Answering my own question, I know of no such pigeon shooter.

im with fm on this one.if the pigeons are feeding on a baited feild then how can shooting them be justified ? its not crop protection after all.

agree with deako that it is tough at this time of year,which is,well,tough ! if every time i went out i knew id shoot a hundred,if every time i fished i knew id catch a 30lb pike and every time i went out id pull id stay indoors (ok,the last bit was a lie).

the shooting them on baited feilds is not crop protection on the basis that they will be damaging crops the next day or the day after,its a way of lazy tossers to do no recon`,giving up feild craft and giving us all a bad name. :<

if i go out and shoot 50 i know it was down to me getting it right,factors being in my favour and a degree of luck.

those who do it only for numbers are in my opinion a bunch of twa*ts and are no sportsmen at all

please note,this is my personnal opinion and if any member shoots over baited feilds in order to attempt to break the record or just to be able to brag they have shot 500 birds in one day,then yes,i am calling you a t*at. :D

where does it stand legally with baiting?

surely you are not protecting a crop if you are putting feed onto it?

but then the same could be said with attracting them with a pigeon magnet.

note i personally feel its not in the spirit of things. but then we bait foxes and rats.

Edited by dunganick

I have thrown a few bags of beans and peas on some spring drillings before to try and make for a better day or to make it last until say the weekend when I can shoot it and I dont really see the harm in this its not like I would be going for a record. but I would'nt spread tons over say a setaside field but what ever floats your boat.

When this topic comes up it always makes me laugh because I cant really see the difference baiting game and vermin, you don't hear people shouting about feeding flight ponds for wild duck. Also how many pigeon shooters do it for crop protection I think none we do it because we love it, and on a good day when was the last time you packed up early as you had killed enough.

Will proberly get slated now

cheers

john

My worry with baiting is that it might be looked at as "unethical" and/or "bad practice" which, may lead to the banning of woodpidgeon shooting. If this practice becomes a common method, the anti-shooting campaigners will be given more power and more excuses. I feel it is up to us, shooters, to decide whether it should be banned or allowed( I do not like such practice myself) and force the issue to be clarified.

See links below for info. There is no clear evidence of what is allowed and what is not.

http://www.jncc.gov.uk/page-3614#download

http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/regulat/...n/wlf100088.pdf