poachers - advice

Kes

I'd be making myself some firecracker mines. If you go on youtube you can look up how to make an eletronic igniter to fit to a banger for next to nothing (9v battery, wire wool and match heads). Set that to a trip wire set above animal height (could struggle if you have Red Deer though?) and when they walk through boom, the mine goes off.

To make it really interesting buy yourself some cheap dye from a fabric shop and some ice cube bags from the supermarket. Put the dye in the ice cube bags, wrap them around the bangers and tie them to a tree above head height next to the trip wire. Your poacher will be easy to find if his face is dyed navy blue! :blink:

I'd be making myself some firecracker mines. If you go on youtube you can look up how to make an eletronic igniter to fit to a banger for next to nothing (9v battery, wire wool and match heads). Set that to a trip wire set above animal height (could struggle if you have Red Deer though?) and when they walk through boom, the mine goes off.

To make it really interesting buy yourself some cheap dye from a fabric shop and some ice cube bags from the supermarket. Put the dye in the ice cube bags, wrap them around the bangers and tie them to a tree above head height next to the trip wire. Your poacher will be easy to find if his face is dyed navy blue! :blink:

lol. Only you could come up with a ludicrous idea like that.......

...... anyone got a spare battery

"Hello, police." "Hi. I've just had an alarm go off on my shoot and we can now positively ID our poacher." "Oh really sir, could you give a detailed description of the offender?" "Yes of course, he's 5' 8" tall and is wearing blue trousers, a blue coat and looks like a smurf!"

I wonder if they'd believe you?! :blink: :lol:

EDIT... Trust me to ruin it at the end!

Edited by njc110381

"Hello, police." "Hi. I've just had an alarm go off on my shoot and we can now positively ID our poacher." "Oh really sir, could you give a detailed description of the offender?" "Yes of course, he's 5' 8" tall and is wearing blue trousers, a blue coat and looks like a smurf!"

I wonder if they'd believe you?! :good::good:

EDIT... Trust me to ruin it at the end!

you are quality sir.lol.

Hope you have some good luck :innocent:

We have had a bad year so far for poachers just 3 nights ago we lost 90 birds all the birds were call birds and were stolen and not killed on site from what we can see . We have had them come for other things too such as deer and hares and this is at night for the hares its a pain in the **** as its more the disturbance of the birds than anything else that we could do with out .

Will be out in a bit for the night as its nice conditions windy and cloudy :angry:

Why are they called poachers? they`re just thieving scum.

A poacher was the charismatic character that came and went without you knowing he had been there. He took only what he needed to feed his family and you had to admire the tricks of his trade.

The thieves of today are in it for fun and profit and to hell with respect and property.

Muggins.

Cover the place in trip wires mate and put dog muck and other nice things far them to land in ,they will be out in conditions they can see in so they dont need to use torches constantly but they must be parked nearby so nip out every nite far a week around your shoot and note what vehicles are parked where as people usually park their car same place same time you will soon notice vehicles that are not usually parked up and if you do notice a vehicle before you fone the coppers let all their tyres down so they cant go befor the coppers come. good luck mate

Chaps,

Thank you all for your contributions thus far.

I have some success to report.

First we have a developing relationship with our local police wildlife officer - he is a shooting chap and obviously committed to his job. He is also a foxer and I have no doubt we'll have a few nights together in the future.

I placed the original post after our first sighting of 'lights' on the shoot and gates left open.

There were still birds about but it seemed we had been targeted.

We noticed our pheasants were evident on most favoured locations until about three weeks ago and then very worryingly, they all of them just seemed to disappear.

Our first shoot day was ok but light on birds and you probably know the feelings of unrealised expectation, self questioning, almost 'murderous' intent to anyone who would mess up our years work.

Our first sighting of trouble was a shoot resident who advised of unusual activity. We intecepted 5 people from our local urban area who had a couple of Harris hawks, ferrets and no permission. Vehicle number taken, the intercepting member suggested we would call the armed response unit if they reappeared.

No obvious game, no obvious guns nor surpisingly dogs. We were about to report these guys when we went for a pint and a shoot meeting.

On our way home from the pub we (2 of us) intercepted 2 blokes on a public highway, close to the shoot boundary, acting suspiciously.

There was nothing to justify confronting them but we followed them. I took the vehicle number and description of the two people and kept shadowing to see if anything justified a 'stop' and to let them know I was there. In theory we had no right to stop them as they werent on our land and if anything had occurred, we would have been the guilty party. That night I rang and passed the info on to our wildlife officers answerphone - it was 10.40 p.m. when we found the car and about 11.00 when I rang.

Next morning I followed up and the reg no is known - a poacher and an illegal hare courser. Because we had the full detail our Police friend will be calling them in and doing what he does. The car was blue a peugot estate and I have the reg no if you see it. This guy has apparently been caught as far away as Lincolnshire !

I e-mailed our police colleague the details of the vehicle used by the 'hawkers' and surprisingly he had sighted them himself elsewhere whilst off-duty.

These guys will also receive a 'come and talk' letter, be warned off and whatever else he does.

Interestingly, there seems to be a lack of knowledge generally amongst police of what people in this situation can and may be charged with, based on the evidence available. BASC seem to be involved in 'raising awareness' but I would suggest we need a greater focus and possibly a training course for the police service run by BASC, involving experienced keepers. In this way perhaps the police in general can be 'encouraged' to take rural crime seriously enough to know 'the enemy'.

Thats about it for now - the police are watching, so are we - more news as we get it.

Next shoot date this Saturday. We are all hoping the birds went walkabout and have returned home to split maize and a few less disturbances.

Thanks again all - good shooting till the next post.

Kes

Chaps,

Thank you all for your contributions thus far.

I have some success to report.

First we have a developing relationship with our local police wildlife officer - he is a shooting chap and obviously committed to his job. He is also a foxer and I have no doubt we'll have a few nights together in the future.

I placed the original post after our first sighting of 'lights' on the shoot and gates left open.

There were still birds about but it seemed we had been targeted.

We noticed our pheasants were evident on most favoured locations until about three weeks ago and then very worryingly, they all of them just seemed to disappear.

Our first shoot day was ok but light on birds and you probably know the feelings of unrealised expectation, self questioning, almost 'murderous' intent to anyone who would mess up our years work.

Our first sighting of trouble was a shoot resident who advised of unusual activity. We intecepted 5 people from our local urban area who had a couple of Harris hawks, ferrets and no permission. Vehicle number taken, the intercepting member suggested we would call the armed response unit if they reappeared.

No obvious game, no obvious guns nor surpisingly dogs. We were about to report these guys when we went for a pint and a shoot meeting.

On our way home from the pub we (2 of us) intercepted 2 blokes on a public highway, close to the shoot boundary, acting suspiciously.

There was nothing to justify confronting them but we followed them. I took the vehicle number and description of the two people and kept shadowing to see if anything justified a 'stop' and to let them know I was there. In theory we had no right to stop them as they werent on our land and if anything had occurred, we would have been the guilty party. That night I rang and passed the info on to our wildlife officers answerphone - it was 10.40 p.m. when we found the car and about 11.00 when I rang.

Next morning I followed up and the reg no is known - a poacher and an illegal hare courser. Because we had the full detail our Police friend will be calling them in and doing what he does. The car was blue a peugot estate and I have the reg no if you see it. This guy has apparently been caught as far away as Lincolnshire !

I e-mailed our police colleague the details of the vehicle used by the 'hawkers' and surprisingly he had sighted them himself elsewhere whilst off-duty.

These guys will also receive a 'come and talk' letter, be warned off and whatever else he does.

Interestingly, there seems to be a lack of knowledge generally amongst police of what people in this situation can and may be charged with, based on the evidence available. BASC seem to be involved in 'raising awareness' but I would suggest we need a greater focus and possibly a training course for the police service run by BASC, involving experienced keepers. In this way perhaps the police in general can be 'encouraged' to take rural crime seriously enough to know 'the enemy'.

Thats about it for now - the police are watching, so are we - more news as we get it.

Next shoot date this Saturday. We are all hoping the birds went walkabout and have returned home to split maize and a few less disturbances.

Thanks again all - good shooting till the next post.

Kes

That all sounds really positive, that PC sounds a good bloke. Lets hope these wildlife crime units aren't seen as a an easy target for saving a few quid as forces have to make savings, as they do seem to make at least some difference.

Alarm guns are a good start.. . all the years hard work you put in and poachers are reaping the birds.You MUST get all the shoot members to do their bit poacher patroling . spread about the shoot or likely roosts etc be covert [ dont stand out ] ,they may be about at dusk listening for them goin up to roost .dont stick to regualar times patrolling mix it up. best is to have a few out at a time or a phone call away so you can all converge on them if spotted .they may be about during the day ,vary times an areas. oh an carry a stout stick. try not to shine the lamp unless certian ,can be seen miles away same with talking.on stil nights use your ears. dont write off wet an windy nights perfect for poachers they know keepers / helpers etc wont be keen on getting out an about ,and it hides shots. Get a night scope from Aldi £60ish, they may be using them. A german shepherd on a long rope in the dark teeth an flesh dont mix ,word will get about that you mean business . if you do chance apon them in the dark shine in their eyes to disorientate them to your advantage. look for footprints in the day time will give you a clue ,take a plaster cast?. Good luck let us all know how you go on :blink:

Now then Hush

The carrying a stout stick thing will get you in bother with the rozzers,

A tip i got from a copper mate of mine carry a 6 cell maglight, then you have a use other than twa**ing someone.

Now then Hush

The carrying a stout stick thing will get you in bother with the rozzers,

A tip i got from a copper mate of mine carry a 6 cell maglight, then you have a use other than twa**ing someone.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maglite-Blister-Cell-Flashlight-Black/dp/B000056BME/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1289776567&sr=8-7 yep I heard that if they us etheir issued batton there is lots of paperwork, not if they use the torch...... at that price i may well get myself one........