What chokes...

Wookie

Ok, as people will know, I'm going to be after a shotgun as soon as the [now completed] forms get processed and I get a visit by the FLO.

This is a good thing, but leaves me feeling all the more confused about the whole shotgun thing. I want a gun that I can use for everything from trap to game because, like most people I guess, I can't afford one for each situation.

So, I'd like people's advice on either the best gun with fixed chokes for a compromise, or the best cheap multi-choke that people have seen/know about. I'm going to be going home this weekend and I'll be visiting my local gunshop, but any advice people can give me on this is more than welcome. I know that I can relay on you.

Wookie

Wookie,

Best fixed chokes would be 1/4 and 1/2, if you have the facility to swap which barrel fires first you have a bit of flexibilty.

Good, reasonable multichokes would be Lanber, Browning Medlist, Midland etc.

I would say......

If you are buying one gun, get the best you can afford, or can't afford :D

Don't get bogged down in the technicalities of chokes/cartridges tooo much.

Take GOOD advice on gun fit, it is more important than almost anything else.

Try as many guns as you can BEFORE you hand over your money, mistakes can be costly.

See what the others on here have to say.

Edited by stuartp

having fixed chokes can be a good thing on a first gun. the last thing you need is an excuse for missing. fixed chokes are good and honest 1/4 and half will break anything you would normally encounter IF you point it in the right direction.

lanbers are good soild guns, but check the forend screws arnt loose or stripped.

your money would be best spent on a miroku or 2nd hand browning, they will out last you.

but as mentioned fit is more important than anything.

My advice would be to buy a good , reliable, multichoke shotgun.

If buying new on a budget, then Lanber fit the bill. :D

I am reluctant to buy secondhand guns (regardless of Make and low price), as I have the obsession that I'm probably buying someone else's problem.

However, there are some good bargains out there.

As has been mentioned , fit is most important.

Remember when in the Gunrooms and trying a gun, that you will probably be shooting in thicker clothing than you are wearing on that day.

Sage point Cranfield. That didn't occour to me when I was at Fenlands the other week and it may mean that the stock on the shorter of the two I saw would be better suited when clothed in more than just a t-shirt.

A point the bloke in the shop made about buying new over second hand was that you tend to get all the chokes in the set with a new gun, but only the two that are in the gun with a second hand.

As for Lanber... I take it their website is www.lanber.com or something.

Wookie

This site has the most info http://lanberusa.tripod.com/ , but a Google on Lanber guns will find you lots of sites.

A Search on here will also find loads of threads about Lanber guns.

In fairness, most new "budget" priced guns will last a lifetime, if looked after.

How often are you going to go shooting ?

How many cartridges per annum ?

If the answers are something like, "twice a week" and " 10,000", then there is no point breaking the bank.

I agree with Stuartp and dunganick and not worry about guns with fixed chokes, and would go for 1/4 and 1/2. I have these in my 20g beretta and only rarely change barrel selection for sporting clays.

My other beretta is a multi(choke)"edit", but again I have 1/4 and 1/2 fitted. This combination seems about right for all but the most distant birds, and I VERY rarely change them.

I see people turning up at the shoot with 5 multichokes and swapping them between every stand, which I think is just a bit silly and probably a severe case of chronic chokitis, and these people should be referred straight to their therapist. :lol: They seem to concentrate more on the toys they can play with rather than becoming a better shot. I have yet to see a chronic choke fiddler win a competition. (that said, i've never won one either). :D

My advice would be to buy the gun which feels most right for you and not worry too much about the chokes. If its multi, then great, but if its fixed, don't worry as you can always get them altered at a gunsmith. (These are rare but do just check they are not cylinder/cylinder or skeet/skeet)

A word of caution though regarding the stock, is to get a sporter or game gun, as you can use these in all disciplines, but a trap gun with a raised comb (monte carlo) stock may present you with difficulties, particularly if you are new to it.

A 12g sporting/game multi or fixed chokes will be fine, just make sure it 'fits' you (length of stock (and make sure l/h or r/h) and that it handles (weight/swing) as you like. Generally the game guns are lighter (as they are carried all day and are faster to bring to the shoulder), and the sporters/trap guns are heavier (better for absorbing recoil and have a more controlled swing).

Its really 'horses for courses'. I enjoy shooting my light/low recoil 20g beretta game gun with clays and do quite well with it, but also enjoy the heavier 12g sporting beretta.

Check INSIDE the barrells to make sure there is no pitting (rust) in them. This only ever happens with guns not cleaned/cared for after a shoot, so these should be avoided. :*)

Don't worry about bead style (as these can be changed) and don't worry about the rib width/style as it shouldn't affect your shooting style.

You need to try a few out first to see what you like....its the only way, and most good gun shops will arrange to get a couple of guns to the club for you to try for real before you commit to buy.

Lastly, do go for the best gun you can afford, and don't be put off buying s/h from a dealer, as all of these guns will be guaranteed.

Good luck, and remember to let us know how you got on.. B)

Edited by bindi

Quote bindi

My other beretta is a multi, but again I have 1/4 and 1/2 fitted. This combination seems about right for all but the most distant birds, and I VERY rarely change them.

How can you have 1/4 and 1/2 choke fitted to a multi my beretta multi only has one barrel ......:)?? :lol: B) :o ;):D

Quote bindi

My other beretta is a multi, but again I have 1/4 and 1/2 fitted. This combination seems about right for all but the most distant birds, and I VERY rarely change them.

How can you have 1/4 and 1/2 choke fitted to a multi my beretta multi only has one barrel ......:)?? :lol:  B)  :o  ;)  :D

Yep, referring to multi chokes on an o/u, not a multi-shot if thats what you thought :)

I think Hawkeye's already been to the pub :D:D

happy B'day mate

Edited by bindi

Quote bindi

How can you have 1/4 and 1/2 choke fitted to a multi my beretta multi only has one barrel ......:(?? :lol:  B)  :o  ;)  :D

Yep, referring to multi chokes on an o/u, not a multi-shot if thats what you thought :)

I think Hawkeye's a;ready been to the pud :D:D

happy B'day mate

right with you now thought i had a barrel missing of mine :) B) :( :(

Had a couple cheers mate :( :( :(

Edited by hawkeye

Stop that! I've just had the office youngster ask me if I am going to get sent my bus pass this year. Mind you, he's young enough that he probably still gets the schoolkid rate...

As for the amount of shooting I aim to be doing, I reckon I'll be pushed to spend more than two - three days a month out and about, with an equal split between clay and pigeon (assuming that I can get land out near me, otherwise it'll be mostly clay). I can honestly say that I have no idea how many shots I'll be firing.

I think that budget will play a very big part in the selection of the end product, but from what I saw on the Lanber site, I am tempted! The 2082 looks a very tidy gun as does the 2087, but I can't find the prices on the main site. Ah well, back to web searching I expect!

Wookie

****!

The clutch has just gone on my car, so it looks like my budget for a shotgun is going to take a 300 quid hit today, or maybe tomorrow. I am not a happy man right now as this stands a good chance of ruining all my carefully laid plans.

How upset is the FLO likely to be if I apply for a license and then spend six months without actually buying a shotgun because I am skint?

Wookie

How upset is the FLO likely to be if I apply for a license and then spend six months without actually buying a shotgun because I am skint?

Wookie

Bad news about the car, mate.

The good news is you have 5 years to buy a gun, there is no pressure on you whatsoever

If you haven't bought one by renewal time you may loose the option under the 'use it or loose it' ruling, but other than that you can take your time and save those pennies up again ???

Just had the mechanic on the phone...

Turns out it's not judt the clutch. It's also both driveshaft seals, both driveshaft gaiters, the clutch slave cylinder and there's a big, MoT -failing oil leak at the back of the engine that will require the timing covers to come off.

All in all, it's about a grand for the repairs. Looks like I'm going to be getting a new car at the weekend. Well, new is a relative term I think...

Wookie