shiney new decoys any ideas

hymax12

Evening all

Please dont laugh ,  :( i bought some decoys the other week since buying them ,i have been kicking my self for not spending the extra cash and geting the flexicoy type  :thumbs: has any body got any ideas to take the shine of them or am i stuck with it ,I read some were that you can you's a  mat sealer has any one tryed this?or is their a place were i could get some of that magic paint from ...my old dec's were'nt as shiney .wish i new were they were ? :D thanks any way.

Hiya Hymax,

We were listening to a talk on decoys at the show. What the fella said, was to rough up the surface of the deak first with one of those wire attachments you can put in electric drills, so the paint will key to the plastic. If you haven't got one, try some sandpaper. After that he said to mix some paint, to try & resemble as best as you can a pigeons colour, but to exaggerate the white bits! Where you would get the paint from?I'm not sure! I know you can get grey primer for cars which is matt. Or you could try one of those DIY stores that let you buy the small tester pots. I'm gonna try & talk Kev into doing mine....lol!.....So I'll let you know how he gets on! :thumbs: I do remember reading somewhere about a flock spray, if I can find out about it, I'll let you know. :D

:thumbs: Thanks every one .I was rooting through the inter net last night and came across www.plasti-kote.com they do a matt spray or a flock type coating but i think it might be a little to light a grey. Anyway i think i shall give the chap above a call see if he could do mine for me thanks agin :D

If the paint that's already on the deeks is the right colour, then a cheap and easy way to take the shine off is just to rub muck on 'em. (This is a tight Yorkshireman technique!)

Also, I find a good dollop of matt white emulsion, on the neck bars, works a treat.

Resolve,I've read loads about guns shooting at their best if they are properly fitted,and don't doubt that this is true,however,some 12 years ago when I swapped to a 20 bore,I could'nt hit a thing and went to north wales shooting school for a lesson.I explained to the instructor that I thought the gun needed to be fitted and asked for his thoughts.He took the gun off me,turned it UPSIDE DOWN,and broke 10 clays out of 10!,then he looked at me and said"shut up,put the pattern in the right place,and you'll kill everything!" :thumbs:

If a gun is too long or too short it will affect your accuracy.

A simple test is to put the butt of the gun in the elbow crease on the inside of your right arm (assuming you are right handed).

Your index/trigger finger should fit nicely on the trigger.

If the butt is too short (common problem) then a cheap option is buy a recoil pad, they come in different thicknesses.

If the butt is too long (not so common), sell the gun.

Mucking about reducing butt lengths is a professional job (not cheap) and it could detract from the value and balance of the gun.

As Deako  said, a visit to a GOOD Clay Ground and a word with the Instructor can be very helpful.

I think their right, a trip to an instuctor will certainly help, & more importantly, busting a few clays will give you confidence in your gun..............Cranfield......sometimes your knowledge of shooting just amazes me.........If you know more that'll help us..........pass it on! Cheers mate. :thumbs: